Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 1 Oct 17, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

Aug 17 Cheeseballs,Chipmunks,Chunder & Chaps in Uniform - Day 5 Blizzard Beach and Whispering Canyon

07 Aug Blizzard Beach and Whispering Canyon

Disney Steps 13,604 5.24miles

Blizzard Beach opens at 10 so a much slower start to cover the P20, ice, refillable mugs, mousekeeping (still not a single towel animal ) and car cooling routine this morning.

And I was on a mission today …. When I went to reception to get the bill the other evening I had asked if there were any Cabanas available – it was time for another treat and I needed a lazy day with some shade. I had missed the cut off by which you were able to book from the hotel so I had to hope there was still availability. Blizzard Beach park entrance rope drop and I was off to the shop to find the till – and yes there was one available, Polar Patio number 12 was ours for the day. Whilst the CM was filling out the paperwork I had asked if he could ensure we had a shaded one- if you are going to get a cabana specify this if you need it because some are far more shaded than others. Yes it wasn't cheap but this was our holiday of a lifetime and it meant were able to stay in the park the whole day which we didn’t manage in previous years. Is it a necessity? absolutely not, would I do it every time? no, was it a lovely treat? – yep.
Whilst I was in the shop Steve and the girls had met Olaf

He was just behind the shop to the left so could have been missed make sure you look out, a few photos later and we were led through the next rope queue and through to the cabana.

The polar patio came with an array of chairs, loungers, umbrella and foot stools, a fridge full of ice and water (although it had only just been filled so the water wasn’t quite cold, a locker, refillable mugs for everyone,
towels and its own menu and waiter service.

To have food delivered you texted the CM, our responded quickly each time.

Our waitress for the day, Catelyn, showed us to the Cabana and pointed out all the above and let us know that the platter were 4 quick service credit each and that if there was thunder/lightening we would have to leave the cabana. The girls went to rinse and fill the refillable mugs at Lottawotta Lodge which was only a minute away over the bridge.

Steve and the girls went off and rode Downhill Double Dipper and Snow stormers and I put my feet up and messaged the Telford Dibbers to say how great the cabana was. MagicKate had been thinking of booking one so i sent over some photos.

I had some quiet time – just me a this little fella,

And we did Team Boat Springs and then got in the lazy river and shouted hello to mum as we went past the cabana from the back.

Having all woken up food was now required so we texted Catelyn for a Chicken Strips Party Platter, strips with BBQ sauce, Honey mustard sauce, ranch sauce and carrot sticks and celery. It arrived fairly quickly and was enough to feed the four of us and the veg was lovely.

A small rest to let said food go down and we all went off to do the lazy river for a while, on our own rings, sharing, linked together – it was great fun.

My notes tell me a few more of the yummy pretzels were then consumed and we headed off to all do Teamboat springs, I was knackered walking to the top but the view and ride were worth it

Nice photopass at the bottom too, and then back to the lazy river.

Next stop at the Cabana and another energy boost needed- so we texted for an Ice cream Pail. It appeared everyone had had the same the same thought as Catelyn was carrying several when she delivered it.
We would have easily devoured it all between us- turns out we didn’t need to as Steve picked it up by the handle and dropped a shed load on the floor. Doh!

More rest for me and Slush Gusher for Steve and the kids, Millie came back to sit with me and have another pretzel (panicking still about snack credits ) and Steve and Morgan had a go at the Toboggan Racers, Morgan won and to celebrate they went to do Summit Plummit.

We all had a wander, the Run off Rapids were closed so we walked through the wave pools, melt away bay. More lazy river, more chillaxing and eventually decided to call it a day at 4.30 grabbing some small donuts on the way out. 4.30 is a great time to go to a waterpark if you don’t want/have a full day as it’s really much quieter by then.

Home and showered and we were ready for our first visit to Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge

I was really looking forward to this and the atmosphere/antics. It did not disappoint and will be a regular visit i think on any future visits.

First of all Wilderness lodge is beautiful and well worth a visit – if you don’t have a reason go to watch the electric pageant from there one evening, we did that on our first visit, and there is the most wonderful aroma in the entrance hall.

We checked in and were given our buzzer which gave us time to find a settee in the entrance hall and take in the view.

Not long to wait before we were at our table and our waiter had thrown our drinks napkins at us. Top Tip – don’t go to a Disney restaurant without checking it out and knowing what to expect – drinks ordered – Morgan asked for a very large diet coke and was told she’d get what she was given.

Morgan, Steve and I opted to have an all you care to enjoy skillet, this came with Corn bread and butter to start - the corn bread was very sweet
then a large bowl of salad
and then the platter
sorry about the photos, we were very hungry after all the swimming . Millie asked if she could have chicken dippers and they happily made her an adult portion.

We were all stuffed so the only pudding ordered were one chocolate cake with ice cream
and a Granny Smiths Caramel Apple pie.
Both yummy.
During dinner the antics in Whispering Canyon were hilarious:Just a couple of examples,
- the young boy on the table behind us had been put in jail – this means he had a set of jail bars on the table in front of him with an In Jail sign at the top and had to eat his dinner through them!
-The waitress to the right of us who asked one lady who she was on the phone to and promptly started chatting to their son on the other end of the phone , had us all shout hello Javier, and laugh when she apologised that his mum has been too tight to pay for him to come to Disney too. His mum was about 60 and laughing along.
-Many examples of ketchup being required, Millie was dreading Morgan asking for ketchup – Morgan loves it Millie hates it. Thankfully the platter did not require any ketchup at our table.
-The table of 6 20 year old young men to our right with the CM feeding one of them his veg – with his fork as a Disney train, a Disney boat and a Disney monorail all with associated noises. If you come here and think you are going to get a quiet dinner think again. We paid our bill of $30 and left.
We had a wander around the hotel shop – and a giggle or two – especially at the soaps on sale,

Beaver Butt soap, Sasquatch Sweat Soap, Ferrets Fart soap, very entertaining.

We had thought we might watch the electrical pageant before going home but it was still 20 minutes away and we were all flagging quickly so a quick chat to the concierge to see what the scent was - he must get asked a lot because he instantly wrote it down for me:
if anyone knows of a yankee candle etc that smells like this please do let me know.

And then we were home to bed.
Night night all, tomorrow Discovery Cove and 50’s Prime Time Diner, very excited. Thank you all for reading and your comments.
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Ooo if you find a Yankee Candle substitute for the lobby scent please let me know! I absolutely love Wilderness Lodge and Whispering Canyon is a favourite of mine.

The cabana looks like it was definitely worth the money, especially as it made you really make a day of it at the park.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 17, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Fab day, the cabana looks fab too

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The cabana looks nice. I like to have my own 'area' when we go to waterparks, so that would be a real treat.
All the deluxe Disney hotels smell great and it's exciting when you find something over here that can remind you of them.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

Still not found a candle that smells the same
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Another lovely day! The cabana looks lush!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

Originally Posted by kadypants View Post
Another lovely day! The cabana looks lush!
It was a treat but soooo worth it
Old 19 Feb 18, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Nice added touch with the cabana, it looks so relaxing!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
What a great day.. the cabana seems a great idea, I didn’t know that they existed! The food and atmosphere at Whispering Canyon seems brilliant.

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

cabana well and truly recommended - made it a lovely day

thank you for reading