Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 25 Feb 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieEars22
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile Water parks with a 5 yr old

Hi all

Planning on visiting Volcano Bay and Typhoon Lagoon in Oct with our almost 6 yr old.

Question about the rides - can our son sit on our laps on the rides or does he have to sit by himself and hold on?

Not sure how this would work

TIA x
MinnieEars22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

If I'm honest i don't think children can lap sit on water rides. My 4 yr old sat next to us and held on tight for raft rides.. some of the bigger ones she couldn't do.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieEars22
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Originally Posted by lilo82 View Post
If I'm honest i don't think children can lap sit on water rides. My 4 yr old sat next to us and held on tight for raft rides.. some of the bigger ones she couldn't do.
Ok thanks :-)

Going to send him for swimming lessons for the summer so hopefully he'll have enough confidence to go on some of them
MinnieEars22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think it will be the height restrictions that preclude your son from participating. However there are kids areas with lots to do and he could go with you on the family rides. He might also like the lazy rivers
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Spooks Dad
Very Serious Dibber

We took our boy when he was 5yo and not yet a swimmer.

It was his confidence that stopped him riding even rides that he was tall enough for. On some occasions it was even the top of towers before he realised he didn't want to ride. I would take your child to a local baths with a smallish slide and see how they fare there but otherwise I would assume they won't be confident enough no matter how sure you are they'll like it.
Spooks Dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinnieEars22 View Post
Ok thanks :-)

Going to send him for swimming lessons for the summer so hopefully he'll have enough confidence to go on some of them
Why not send them now? A few weeks of swimming will not get the confidence they need for a busy water park.
Being confident enough to put their face underwater and blow bubble will help them, can they swim at all?
I have a 7 and a 3 year old, both have had lessons since they were 12 weeks (started with the lessons with a lot of splashing and singing and mums in the water) they have both been able to swim unaided from 2 and a half. I would not feel happy taking them to water park without them knowing to flip onto their backs if they fall in or how to tread water.

Edited at 07:11 AM.
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Both the Disney waterparks have areas especially for little ones. The one at Blizzrd Beach has some mini versions of proper slides. My girls loved these but wouldn’t have gone down a real slide at 5.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My youngest (as with the older two) has been having swimming lessons since 12 weeks old and could swim with no arm bands at 2. However we still put a vest on him in the parks because of all the splashing that goes on and people pushing past etc he loves the water parks and the rafts, slides etc. He was 4 last year and was not allowed to sit on our lap. Basically if they can’t hold on alone or too scared then they can’t ride.
Lots of fun areas for non swimmers though so your son will have a great time
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
There is a ring slide in the kid's bit at TL which our DD loved last year (5.5) because she could take her ring back up to the top to go again and again.

There are also slides to the side of the wave pool which she went on by herself while we sat on a wall and watched.

DD can pretty much swim now but she will still be wearing a floatation vest thing this summer because she feels much more confident with it on, particularly in the lazy river and wave pool.

Edited at 06:41 PM.
nquart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Both the Disney waterparks have areas especially for little ones. The one at Blizzrd Beach has some mini versions of proper slides. My girls loved these but wouldn’t have gone down a real slide at 5.
My girls were both the same. Most of the main slides are quite intimidating at that age but loads for them to enjoy anyway.