Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 9 Jan 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

August '18 - Dining Plans - Whadya think?

ADR booking only a month month away and so my obsessive love of planning all things Disney steps up a gear. I have come up with a list of TS locations we'd like to try. We visited WDW last Easter but stayed offsite so only ate once onsite at Y&Y. While Y&Y was great, we had foolishly booked it on our first day in the parks and at 7:30pm. By the time we sat down to eat we were too tired to eat/think/speak. We ended up taking most of the meal home as takeout and chalked it up to experience.

This year, on our return trip we are determined to get it right. We have whittled down the choices to the following TS destinations. Have we missed any gems? Have we included any that you'd not go back to?

As always, there are a few that missed the list due to location or timings but I'm hoping that we'll cover some of the best Disney has to offer.

Here goes...

1900 Park Fayre - Breakfast
Prime Time cafe - Lunch
Sci-Fi Diner - Dinner
La Hacienda - Dinner
Tusker House - Dinner (Rivers of light)
Hollywood & Vine or Mamma Melrose (Fantasmic Package)
Boathouse - Dinner
Trails End - Brunch
Be Our Guest - Dinner
Coral Reef - Dinner
Ohana's - Breakfast
T-Rex - Dinner
Wave Cafe - Breakfast

What have I missed?
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would give Yak & Yeti another go. It was my favourite restaurant last time.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Good choices. I’ve eaten at all but the Boathouse as I think it’s massively overpriced for the type of food and The Wave. Your only choice I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole ever again is Hollywood and Vine. Noisy. Poor service. Too many kids with their hands in the food. Really. Twice. That said we haven’t been back for 7 years so that’s not a recent review.
Old 9 Jan 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Mobile

Conventional wisdom says go Mama Melrose over H&V unless you have kids who need to meet those characters (Doc McBobbins and crew).
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
You've picked some of my favourites! Last time we had DDP my kids were 11 and 9 and really enjoyed the character meals. I won't give any comments on places we haven't eaten at, but here are our thoughts...

We all loved 1900 park fare, we had dinner which is the Cinderella, Prince charming, the 2 step sisters (who were hilarious) and lady tremaine, you've opted for breakfast which should be Alice, mad matter (who is supposed to be really fun) and pooh ... I am really tempted by this again!

My kids both love sci fi dine in and wanted to return. It was a great experience and the food was good, but for me it's a once and done sort of place as I actually quite like to see the people I'm eating with, definitely one to try though.

La Hacienda was not one of my favourite I'm afraid, we had a really long wait and then our table wasn't in the best position, we couldn't really see illuminations and we love Mexican and it wasn't the best food. Sorry.

Loved, loved, loved Tuskers house, definitely want to return.

We've done both H and V and mama Melrose...I can't remember the ages of your children...if they are into the characters then go for H and V, my preference is for mama Melrose but I understand the starters are not included anymore in the fantastic package which is a shame.

Be our guest dinner was great, nice steak, fun meeting the beast, tried the grey stuff (which wasn't exactly delicious, a little bit sickly, but would have it again).

I'm not the biggest fan of ohana either, which will probably get me shot as everyone else seems to love it! We had dinner, not breakfast though and we had to wait forever and then were sat at the back next to the kitchen...food was lovely, but everything else not so much.

The Wave we loved, again we had dinner not breakfast, but it does sound like a god choice for breakfast from what I've read.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Hi ,like Sha9 i would definitely do Yak &Yeti,it was also our favorite restaurant last year!...I wouldn't personally bother with dining packages (river of light & Fantasmic) etc as i hated the selected restaurants esp Mama Melrose!... Fantasmic & Rivers of light are easily viewed with good seats without a dining package (may have been different when Rivers of light first opened)... Happy planning..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr__Incredible
Helping Minnie

I'm in a similar position and just finalising our choices for our 2 weeks on the DDP in August.

The ones not on your list that we did on our last visit, and were first in the families list this time, are Sanaa and Teppan Edo.
Mr__Incredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lardypops
Apprentice Imagineer

lardypops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We love crystal palace for breakfast and garden grill for dinner, great character interaction. We hated T. rex, too dark and the food was just ok. We've also got homecoming on our list for this year
lardypops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
La Hacienda... no,no no ... consistently bad reviews, from experience you can't beat the setting but the food was just meh- I had a steak with 3 chile sauce & all I can say is there is a reason it's very dark, for all the flavour I got it could have been wood pulp & wallpaper paste!
Personally I wouldn't do both Prime Time & Sci-fi, loved Prime but just thought Sci-fi was ok. I would have a look at Art's at Disney Springs.
Also conventional wisdom is to use TS credits for Lunch/Dinner rather than breakfast- better value.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

If you look at the reviews Yak and Yeti (inside) has really done well this year. Monsieur Paul also doing really well. Saana is fabulous.