Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Jan 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Best ADRs for GF/DF ?

Since our last trip both DD (12) & I have been diagnosed with Coeliacs Disease. I used to be a massive foodie but now have a dairy intolerance as well and tbh I’m really struggling with it all. I was so looking forward to our holiday but now I’m wondering whether I going to have issues instead of fun!

I’ve spoken to Disney and their special diets team who also kindly sent over some info and menus for the restaurants. It dampened my spirits further as it seems mainly chicken nuggets for QS

Please can you help us? Can you recommend good QS and TS from experience... TIA
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Take a look at this site, loads of great GF+DF reviews - although I think she's now having small bits of dairy in her diet again.

glutenfreedairyfreewdw/

This one is just for GF but also brilliant.

gfinorlando/

DH is coeliac so I've looked at pretty much every allergy menu. From the top of my head, some different QS options...

Pecos Bill (MK) rice bowls are basically fajitas without the tortillas
Blaze Pizza (DS) do a GF base, and vegan cheese
Satu'li Canteen (AK) bowls are GF/DF, except the fish protein and black bean sauce
Be Our Guest (MK) breakfast menu has some good options, and they give you Erin McKenna sweet breads instead of the pastries.
Speaking of, Erin McKenna's (DS). Enough said.

Epcot is the most frustrating park, as there's so many restaurants but most aren't Disney owned so their allergy info isn't as good. But on the TS side there, Garden Grill is Disney owned and their GF breakfast is lovely - even has Mickey waffles!

HS dining sucks generally, IMO. We have no plans there.

Edited at 10:24 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Oh thank you so much. Just reading your reply has put the smile back on my face.

We haven’t done Garden Grill and we were hoping to do breakfast even with a restricted option list so I’m heartened that you rate it. 👍🏻

BOG - we’ve loved doing that previously and I thought it would be a definite no no, glad I can put it back on my wish list

HS dining is not great even without an AID.

Having looked at menus and options, what I’ve found out so far would seem to suggest that off site restaurants cater better for gf/df. We are only onsite for the first week so we will have more options further in to our holiday (I.e. without the ddp)

Thanks Loldis

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Take a look at this site, loads of great GF+DF reviews - although I think she's now having small bits of dairy in her diet again.

glutenfreedairyfreewdw/

This one is just for GF but also brilliant.

gfinorlando/

DH is coeliac so I've looked at pretty much every allergy menu. From the top of my head, some different QS options...

Pecos Bill (MK) rice bowls are basically fajitas without the tortillas
Blaze Pizza (DS) do a GF base, and vegan cheese
Satu'li Canteen (AK) bowls are GF/DF, except the fish protein and black bean sauce
Be Our Guest (MK) breakfast menu has some good options, and they give you Erin McKenna sweet breads instead of the pastries.
Speaking of, Erin McKenna's (DS). Enough said.

Epcot is the most frustrating park, as there's so many restaurants but most aren't Disney owned so their allergy info isn't as good. But on the TS side there, Garden Grill is Disney owned and their GF breakfast is lovely - even has Mickey waffles!

HS dining sucks generally, IMO. We have no plans there.
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

WDW was hands down my best holiday foodwise since having to go gluten free! I don't think there was anywhere that I couldn't eat something

From memory I had chicken nuggets, burgers (inc baps ), Salads, sandwiches in QS places. I got something nice made specially for me in the Morrocan QS in Epcot, they did me a plate of kofte meat, salad, hummus, olives and lentils and it was very nice. There were always desserts available (pretty sure the dole whip that everyone loves is DF) like brownies and cookies (I loved the choc chip cookies that a lot QS places did). Can't remember what I had in BOG but it was good and think it was a sandwich of some sort.

In TS I had great food in Coral Reef (inc GF calamari to start)
Sanaa (amazing, they even do a GF bread service and dips!),
Tusker house breakfast (got GF waffles and doughnuts! ),
Rainforest cafe (shrimp & steak),
T rex cafe (soup and a cheesy dip thing),
Sci fi dine in (didn't enjoy this as much but think was because we were too tired by then),
breakfast in Garden grill (I could eat everything except sticky bun cake and they brought me a muffin instead),
Trails End dinner (this is a buffet but the chef came out and showed me what I could eat and cooked thing especially for me and even brought me some GF cornbead. He was called chef TJ and was great. Even made me a special dessert!)
Beaches and cream had limited choice but I got a veggie burger and a sundae (not DF but they may have DF choices)
Did the star wars dessert party and was todl which things were safe for me and was given a bag of allergy friendly foods most of which I took home. It included cakes, cookies, fruit, snack bars etc

Hope this allays some of your concerns. I really do think that WDW is awesome for special diets
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
Having looked at menus and options, what I’ve found out so far would seem to suggest that off site restaurants cater better for gf/df. We are only onsite for the first week so we will have more options further in to our holiday (I.e. without the ddp)

Thanks Loldis
I've actually found the opposite. Onsite I know I can walk into ANY (Disney owned) restaurant and they'll have something DH can eat and like that's not just a plain salad. They have the allergy menus at all locations now but the chefs will still work with you to modify a normal menu item wherever possible.

And even the non-Disney owned restaurants are pretty good, since they have to keep up with Disney standards - allergies are a big priority for them. There's not really anywhere else on the planet that I can say that from my experience with him over the last few years since being diagnosed.

Although I think DF desserts can be a bit limiting but as mentioned above, Dole Whip is vegan (and GF) so completely safe.

And also mentioned above, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Chef TJ at Trail's End so if that appeals - definitely worth an ADR. We don't do buffets as we don't enjoy that dining experience but I wouldn't be concerned about them at Disney. The chefs are more than happy to bring fresh food for you from the back if you're at all worried about cross-contamination.

Oh and finally, POFQ will make to order GF beignets. And I believe you may even be able to get the beignet sundae using rice dream.

Edited at 07:22 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 18, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
WDW was hands down my best holiday foodwise since having to go gluten free! I don't think there was anywhere that I couldn't eat something

From memory I had chicken nuggets, burgers (inc baps ), Salads, sandwiches in QS places. I got something nice made specially for me in the Morrocan QS in Epcot, they did me a plate of kofte meat, salad, hummus, olives and lentils and it was very nice. There were always desserts available (pretty sure the dole whip that everyone loves is DF) like brownies and cookies (I loved the choc chip cookies that a lot QS places did). Can't remember what I had in BOG but it was good and think it was a sandwich of some sort.

In TS I had great food in Coral Reef (inc GF calamari to start)
Sanaa (amazing, they even do a GF bread service and dips!),
Tusker house breakfast (got GF waffles and doughnuts! ),
Rainforest cafe (shrimp & steak),
T rex cafe (soup and a cheesy dip thing),
Sci fi dine in (didn't enjoy this as much but think was because we were too tired by then),
breakfast in Garden grill (I could eat everything except sticky bun cake and they brought me a muffin instead),
Trails End dinner (this is a buffet but the chef came out and showed me what I could eat and cooked thing especially for me and even brought me some GF cornbead. He was called chef TJ and was great. Even made me a special dessert!)
Beaches and cream had limited choice but I got a veggie burger and a sundae (not DF but they may have DF choices)
Did the star wars dessert party and was todl which things were safe for me and was given a bag of allergy friendly foods most of which I took home. It included cakes, cookies, fruit, snack bars etc

Hope this allays some of your concerns. I really do think that WDW is awesome for special diets
Thanks Liz-Paul this is a helpful list with some restaurants we’ve not done yet, so it’s good to read they can be enjoyable. 👍🏻😃
Old 12 Jan 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I've actually found the opposite. Onsite I know I can walk into ANY (Disney owned) restaurant and they'll have something DH can eat and like that's not just a plain salad. They have the allergy menus at all locations now but the chefs will still work with you to modify a normal menu item wherever possible.

And even the non-Disney owned restaurants are pretty good, since they have to keep up with Disney standards - allergies are a big priority for them. There's not really anywhere else on the planet that I can say that from my experience with him over the last few years since being diagnosed.

Although I think DF desserts can be a bit limiting but as mentioned above, Dole Whip is vegan (and GF) so completely safe.

And also mentioned above, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Chef TJ at Trail's End so if that appeals - definitely worth an ADR. We don't do buffets as we don't enjoy that dining experience but I wouldn't be concerned about them at Disney. The chefs are more than happy to bring fresh food for you from the back if you're at all worried about cross-contamination.

Oh and finally, POFQ will make to order GF beignets. And I believe you may even be able to get the beignet sundae using rice dream.

Ok you’re officially making me drool! GF doughnuts?!? and GF beignets .! I didn’t really eat doughnuts before being diagnosed but you know what, you always want what you can’t have so have been craving them

Thank you again, I can’t explain how much I appreciate yours and Liz-Paul’s replies

Edited at 10:36 PM.
Old 12 Jan 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Lol one of my (many!) food regrets is never getting to try a gf beignet 😋

I also never managed to get there but Erin mckennas bakery in Disney springs is meant to be great and the whole place is gluten free. I'm pretty sure that the pre packaged brownies and chocolate chip cookies that were on offer in most as places were do as well as gf. They were called something like 'omg I can't believe they're gluten free' and I thought they were very nice.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List