Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 18 Sep 06, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Maytime Munchies - Yachtsman's Steakhouse

Yachtsman's Steakhouse

Paul started the evening with a Yachtsman’s Cosmopolitan, (ice-cold vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice and lime). I was allowed a small sip and I quickly wished I’d ordered one too. Next time!

Instead I had a glass of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, which teamed up well with my delicious starter of Maine Diver Scallops with Shiitake Mushroom and Frisee Salad. There were some crispy sweet potato shreds on the top and it was drizzled with an outstanding warm smoky bacon dressing.
I asked for the scallops to be cooked medium as I like them to be warm all the way through. They were enormous and cooked perfectly to my taste, slightly crusty and caramelised on the outside, firm yet juicy and sweet on the inside.
The whole dish was absolutely gorgeous and I hope it’s still on the menu when we return in October because I’ll certainly choose to eat it again.

Paul chose the Farmers Salad, which was a deconstructed salad of lettuce (which looked a bit naked without the bacon vinaigrette, he asked for a tomato dressing on the side but didn’t use it), soft boiled egg, tomato, grilled onions and an excellent piece of Gorgonzola cheese.

One of the highlights of a meal at the YS is the scrumptious warm onion rolls, served with roasted garlic and a good slab of decent butter. I had one of the rolls and somebody else scoffed the rest!

I had the New York strip Steak which was served with a Brandy and Peppercorn sauce. I liked the sauce, but it was a bit too heavy on the peppercorns.
It came with a Potato Gratin, usually one of my favourites, but I found the Asiago cheese used in this one a bit overpowering and preferred the Horseradish mashed potatoes I had last time we ate here.
We ordered a side of Broccolini with Hollandaise sauce, as I do like to have a bit of greenery with my dinner.
As enjoyable as it was, couldn’t eat all of my steak and the delightful Jon boxed the remainder for me. When I got up to our room I noticed he’d added a large serving of my yearned for horseradish mash. Is he a good server or what?

Paul had the latest vegetarian offering on the menu; Potato ‘Risotto’ with Spring Vegetables and 8 year aged Balsamic Vinegar.
He wasn’t too sure about ordering this initially. He’s not a big risotto fan as he’s not keen on the starchy texture of the rice, but the chef explained that it was actually potato that had been very finely chopped to resemble rice grains and not rice at all.
He really enjoyed the creamy potato dish which included carrots, peas, and asparagus and was topped with some rich, oak-grilled Portobello mushrooms.
His only criticism was that it didn’t require so much of the Balsamic Vinegar.

I thought it was an innovative dish and it’s encouraging to see the chef being so creative with vegetarian food, especially in a steakhouse!
I had a couple of glasses of Seghesio Zinfandel Sonoma County ‘04 and Paul had a couple of Beaulieu Vineyard Merlot Napa Valley ‘03 – both wines were delicious and complemented our food very well.
We were too full up for dessert, which was an absolute tragedy as the dessert platter here is the best on property as far as we’re concerned.
Next time!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 06, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh Sue - stop it! More fantastic food and pics - my mouth is watering. We must try this one. As the proud owner of a steak monster "rare please" I think she would love it here. I sometimes find with a pepeercorn sauce that I'm scraping them off and leaving them at the side but I love the creaminess of the sauce. I think they should grind them and make it smooth!

Love the look of your starter too and oh Paul's cocktail. That may just be the one for me!

Thanks for sharing.

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 06, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Sue - this looks fantastic. Think my NYE meal is sorted! I love scallops and that strip steak looks HUGE!
Is is Jon who's table we are to ask for if he's working?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 06, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post

It all looks scrummy - especially those bread rolls

Love Suexx
Old 18 Sep 06, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
What an excellent meal, I really regret those free beers at SW in May making me cancel my ADR looking forward to my return, thanks for sharing eventually shame on u no desert the JD cake is delicious
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 06, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post

That looks lovely, can't wait till Dec. Hope they still have the Scallops, my absolute favourite.
Old 18 Sep 06, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sue that looks fantastic! I can taste that garlic and butter with those rolls mmmmm,

Dawn
Old 18 Sep 06, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The Yachtsman is my favourite restaurant (although I admit being spoilt by Jim the Manager probably had a large bearing on this ) - your report is making my mouth water all over again Sue!
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 06, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Maz
Imagineer

Ooooh Su, that looks delicious! Can't wait till our Dec ressie now! Not going to eat all day so I can have a dessert though1
1994 St Pete's Beach. 2000 Comfort Suites Maingate East/Clearwater. 2005 Clarion Universal 2006 POFQ/Homewood Universal. 2006 POFQ/Boardwalk Villas/RPR 2007 POR/Wonder Cruise/POP. 2008 BCV/Disney Panama Canal Cruise/GCH, DL. 2008 SSR/RPR/BC. 2009 SSR/BCV/Villa. Sept-Oct Magic B2B Cruises/SSR/BCV/Villa. 2010 SSR/Villa. Sept DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise. 2011 Jan-Feb DCL Panama Canal Cruise/GCV/Villa. 2011 Sept-Oct DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise/Villa
Maz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 06, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Yummy pics and report Sue. I could make a meal of those bread rolls alone

We're thinking about eating here for the first time next year and your report makes it all the more inviting.

Caron