Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 22 Aug 07, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post

July 2007 - Turf Club

Turf Club

The original plan was to eat at Olivia’s tonight, but the river boats weren’t running due to the severe thunder and lightening.
Thankfully we managed to get ourselves a table at the Turf Club.
I think lots of the other guests staying at Saratoga Springs must have been avoiding the thunderstorms too as it was abnormally busy tonight.

The general lay out and atmosphere of this restaurant feels quite pubby, if you know what I mean.
The tables are rather close together here and we were seated at a table next to a nice American family with whom we chatted on and off throughout our meal.
Besides lots of Disney talk it was the usual type of conversation about such things as the exchange rate, Tony Blair/George Bush, the Queen and British TV - I think Paul was secretly pleased when they commented that he really reminded them of Simon Cowell.

We took these pics the next day when the restaurant was closed. I loved all the horsey details such as in the carpet design and the lamp stand.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 07, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post

We began with our usual pre-dinner tipple, a Cosmopolitan.
The barman was a tad heavy on the Triple Sec, which gave the drinks nice orangey tang. They tasted pretty good and were quite strong!
Not a bad thing in my book.

Our server Justin (very nice lad) informed us that that Sourdough bread is normally served but as they were so unexpectedly busy they’d run out of supplies, and had to get some bread sent over from nearby Olivia’s.
It was a sweet pineapple and coconut bread – nice enough it its own right, but it didn’t pair well with the food, whereas the Sourdough would have been perfect.

I quickly knew I was going to choose Grilled Top Sirloin Steak and Turf Club Potatoes.
I couldn’t remember when I had last had a steak as I don’t eat much meat at home.
I really enjoy having a steak at WDW. For some reason I don’t feel quite so guilty.
I was really looking forward to my meaty treat, and it certainly didn’t disappoint!
On taking the first bite I could tell it was one of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten. Honestly it was fantastic!
The meat was extremely tender and so full of flavour I think I must have ‘yummed’my way through almost every mouthful.
I really was extremely impressed at the outstanding quality of this meat and I’d even go as far as to say it was on a par with any of the steaks I’ve eaten at Yachtsman’s Steakhouse. And you know how much I love it there!
I wasn’t sure what the mysterious Turf Club Potatoes were going to be (I forgot to ask) but they turned out to be a deliciously creamy cheesy potato gratin, of which I also very much approved.

Paul had Penne Pasta served Vegetarian style. It’s also served with Shrimp or Chicken, both of which I think would be delicious.
A distinctly garlicky dish of pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, baby spinach leaves and artichokes was complemented by a buttery, white wine sauce and finished with Asiago cheese.
The ingredients were some of Paul’s favourites and he was soon transported to Pasta induced Paradise!

Paul had a glass of Red Diamond Merlot and I had a glass of the Million Miles of Magic Shiraz.
A white wine would probably have complemented the pasta better I think, but Paul was in the mood for red and was quite happy with his choice.
My Shiraz was rich and spicy - just the ticket!

We will definitely return to the Turf Club in the future.
The quality of the food was a very pleasant surprise. It was very reasonably priced and the service was good too.
Next time we will make sure that we’ll go early or late when it’s a bit quieter though.
Old 22 Aug 07, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Maz
Imagineer

That steak and potatoes does look lovely Su. Will have to think of eating here.
1994 St Pete's Beach. 2000 Comfort Suites Maingate East/Clearwater. 2005 Clarion Universal 2006 POFQ/Homewood Universal. 2006 POFQ/Boardwalk Villas/RPR 2007 POR/Wonder Cruise/POP. 2008 BCV/Disney Panama Canal Cruise/GCH, DL. 2008 SSR/RPR/BC. 2009 SSR/BCV/Villa. Sept-Oct Magic B2B Cruises/SSR/BCV/Villa. 2010 SSR/Villa. Sept DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise. 2011 Jan-Feb DCL Panama Canal Cruise/GCV/Villa. 2011 Sept-Oct DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise/Villa
Maz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 07, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Looks lovely. What no dessert?
Old 23 Aug 07, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Sounds like a great meal. Will need to remember the Turf Club for next year.
Old 23 Aug 07, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Looks very nice Su - especially your steak and spuds
No appetiser or dessert - were you both off colour?

I tried a Cosmopolitan once and it nearly blew my head off! That and it gave me nightmares!
After that I stuck with my nice safe martini's!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 07, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looks lovely Su - another one to try. Am impressed with the quality and service when it was so busy. That can sometimes be an issue especially when they are unexpectedly busy. Sounds like they were able to cope and still provide a good experience.

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 07, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks Su. I have stayed at SSR a few times and have never ate at the Turf Club but it will be worth a visit in the future.

Bob
Old 23 Aug 07, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have to admit i've never heard of the Turf Club! But the food looks really nice.

Enjoyed your review as always.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 07, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report