Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 17 Sep 07, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post

July 2007 - Jiko

Jiko

We are both big fans of Jiko. This was our seventh visit to this innovative restaurant and I know it will not be our last. The food combinations are a little bit different and not to everyone’s taste, but it suits us very well.
We also love an excuse to visit the beautiful Animal Kingdom Lodge. We’ve stayed there twice and loved it to bits. It will always have a very special place in our hearts.
We are waiting for the construction of the villas to finish before we enjoy another stay at the resort – although I have to say it did not impact on our meal in any way.

We checked in at 7.30pm for our adr at 7.50pm.
We were told they were running behind by about twenty minutes, so we adjourned to the small bar area in order to escape the omnipresent crowd of waiting fellow diners that always tend to gather around the entrance.

Cosmopolitans were duly ordered and we looked hungrily at the menu whilst we sat at the bar.

We usually request a table at the back of the restaurant as it’s a bit more cosy back there, but tonight we took pot luck. Our table was much further towards the front which Paul really quite liked – I still prefer it at the back.

Our server was Sally who has worked at Jiko for years. She was very sweet and efficient, although we could see she was absolutely rushed off her feet.
She reminded me of Beatrix Potter’s Mrs Tiggy-Winkle as she scurried around industriously.
I wondered if they were short staffed or someone had called in sick as she had obviously been assigned too many tables tonight. She worked very hard.

We ordered our usual bottle of San Pellegrino avec lime, and Sally brought us some bread.
Tonight I remembered to request normal butter. I love many things about Jiko - but I really don’t like the curry flavoured butter they usually serve here.

To start with we ordered the Artichoke and Peppadew Flatbread - with Midnight Moon goat cheese, arugula, and cilantro yogurt drizzle.

We had it last time we were here and have been craving it ever since.
The chef was a bit heavy handed with the yogurt ‘drizzle’ this time but it was nevertheless still delicious. The yogurt did have the effect of cooling down those sweet but fiery peppadew peppers that I swear I’ve become addicted to.
We could come to Jiko and just make a meal out of these tasty flatbreads!

For his main course Paul had the Durban Curry, served with artichokes, tomatoes, sweet peas, and red colusari rice pilaf. This is usually served with shrimp but Paul asked for the shrimp to be substituted with Tofu.

The chefs at Jiko have always been sensitive to vegetarians/vegans and will serve any of the entrees as a veggie dish as long as no meat/fish stock has been used to make the base of the sauces. So don’t be afraid to ask if you can speak to the chef if you fancy something a bit different to what’s on the menu for the veggie entrée.

This dish was not particularly my thing I’ll admit, but as a spicy tandoori tofu and artichoke lover, Paul thoroughly enjoyed his dinner. It was a really large portion and with just a small struggle he managed to eat every last scrap!

I went for the Grilled Salmon which was served over a combo of asparagus tips, Zellwood corn, edamame beans, cippollini onions, roasted potatoes, smoked bacon, and peppadew vinaigrette.
Now this was definitely my kind of thing!
Everything was cooked to perfection and the lively veggie and smoky bacon mixture very well complemented the rich succulent salmon. The whole dish was elevated by a moreish sauce made with more of those perky peppadews that I love.
Absolutely fabulous!

The wine list at Jiko is a real treat. We always look forward to sampling some really good quality South African wines that you don’t get the chance to buy at home.
Tonight it was a glass of Delheim Cabernet Sauvignon for Paul and one of the Five Soldiers Chardonnay for me. Both wines were excellent – rich, fruity and very satisfying.

Now as you know I’m not very big on desserts, but a visit to Jiko would not be complete without a sublime serving of the perfect Pistachio Crème Brulee.
The pistachio flavoured creamy custard slips down like smooth silk and then there’s the added bonus of chocolate on the bottom!
It’s the best darn Crème Brulee in the world as far as I’m concerned.
Honestly, if I could only eat one dessert ever again before I die this would be it!

Once again we had a most enjoyable evening at Jiko and we are already looking forward to going back!

We were sad to hear that Head Chef Annette Grecchi Gray had very recently moved on to pastures new. She has worked at WDW for some years and is quite a character! The staff were shocked to hear of her departure and so were we.
We have learned that since our visit, Chef Brian Piasecki, formerly of Le Cellier has now taken the helm as Head Chef at Jiko.
We will miss Chef Annette as we’ve both really enjoyed tasting a range of her cooking influences over the years, but hope for good things and dare I say a little light tweakage to the menu from Chef Brian.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 07, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Pistachio Creme Brulee - sounds heavenly!
Old 18 Sep 07, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Hope chef Brian doesn't tweak the menu to much.

This is one of my favourite restaurants and I also love the curry dish.
We decided not to visit this restaurant on our recent stay as we will be staying at the AKLV for a week or so next year.

Great report as usual Su.

Bob
Old 18 Sep 07, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Jiko is one of my favourite restaurants. Can't wait to eat again there next month.

Another great report Su
Old 18 Sep 07, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelle27
Imagineer

Chelle27's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks for this Sue! Yet another place to add to my ever increasing list - I've not even got a trip booked!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/OrlandoBelle/Glitter%20sigs/Chelle2.gif

Hawthorn Suites @ Seaworld July 2005
High Grove, Clermont, July 2006
The Bad Hair Trip Report - July 2005

The Your Eyes Are Bigger Than Your Bellie Trippie - August 2006
Chelle27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 07, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SusieK View Post
Pistachio Creme Brulee - sounds heavenly!
OMG, doesn't it... I am dribbling..
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 07, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Treacle44
Imagineer

Treacle44's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Ohh Sue another wonderful report, this is the one restaurant we can't fit in but I so want to eat at. Steak and creme brulee are my favourite things ever, so want to try them both at Jiko. Hmm should I cancel something and book this instead?...

Thanks for sharing

Oh and what's in a Cosmopolitan?

x

2011 - AKL/BCV ~ 2010 - VWL/SSR/BCV ~ 2009 - POP CENTURY ~ 2007 - VWL/BCV/SSR ~ 2006 - POP CENTURY ~ 2004 - LAKE BUENA VISTA SUITES
Treacle44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 07, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Treacle44 View Post
Oh and what's in a Cosmopolitan?

x

It's a tempting concoction of Vodka, Cointreau, Cranberry and Lime

They have quite a hefty kick and I think they are an absolutely delicious pre-dinner drinkie Tracey As you may have noticed lol
Old 19 Sep 07, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Now as you know I’m not very big on desserts, but a visit to Jiko would not be complete without a sublime serving of the perfect Pistachio Crème Brulee.
The pistachio flavoured creamy custard slips down like smooth silk and then there’s the added bonus of chocolate on the bottom!
It’s the best darn Crème Brulee in the world as far as I’m concerned.
Honestly, if I could only eat one dessert ever again before I die this would be it!
This sounds and looks delicious. We have never really seen anything on the menu here that we would both like which is a shame as your report is fantastic.

It took me all my time to persuade Barry to return to Boma this year although he did like it better this time round.
Thanks Sue
Caron
Old 19 Sep 07, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Treacle44
Imagineer

Treacle44's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Ooh yummy, will have to try one around the World somewhere.

Er yes I had noticed you were rather partial!

2011 - AKL/BCV ~ 2010 - VWL/SSR/BCV ~ 2009 - POP CENTURY ~ 2007 - VWL/BCV/SSR ~ 2006 - POP CENTURY ~ 2004 - LAKE BUENA VISTA SUITES

Edited at 12:44 PM.
Treacle44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List