Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jan 10, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
veludo
Excited about Disney

DCL Med Cruise - Sea Sickness?

Hi

We are thinking of booking a 7 night Med cruise on the Dinsey Magic for August 2011.

Im not particulary bothered about a balcony as long as we have at least a window (we have a young son and I would be scared to death of him climbing over the railings).

We are probably going to book an Ocean View stateroom - however the majority of these are either at the front or back of the ship and I have heard that you feel more of the motion there.

The ocean view room in the middle seem to be on Deck 2 - quite low down toward the bottom of the ship.

What I would like advice on - do you think we would feel the motion less in the middle of the ship but low down or go for one of the higher up decks at either the back or the front.

We have never cruised before and am worried that we will spend the week feling sea sick

Any advice greatly appreciated

2008 Highlands Reserve Villa, 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, Xmas/ New Year 2009/10 Coronado Springs May 2010 Puerta Pollentia Majorca, Aug 2010 Hotel New York DLP, May 2011 Waldorf Astoria Orlando,August 2011 Puerta Pollentia, Majorca June 2012 Old Key West
veludo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 10, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post

i suffer terrible motion sickness so when we decided to do our first cruise this worried me a lot (i'm one of those that you see ashen faced in the loo's on the ferry crossings and i cannot look down to read a map even for a few minutes in a car without feeling a little queezy so it's quite bad)

but saying that and despite the worry i managed fine on the ship

what i didn't realise is that these ships are huge and have stabilisers too which help keep them steady, we had cabins on deck 6 right at the very back one with a balcony and also a inside one opposite

i wouldn't worry about the balcony with your child, disney obv take child safety very seriously and if you do book one of these rooms you will find that the doors to the balcony have childlocks and the rails are quite high

deck 2 is actually quite a good deck just 2 flights up for restaurants guest services theatres etc and i have read that being lower down in the ship is supposed to a good position cabin wise for those who do feel or worry about the ships movement

deck 5 may be good too with the childrens clubs nearby for you

you can take sea sickness meds but i managed fine without it and it's also worth knowing that the medical centre onboard have anti sickenss meds and will give them to you for free if you feel unwell

my youngest child felt a little unwell the first night but it was a combination of the ship moving and what he had eaten at lunch (too much cake) after a good nights sleep he was great the next day

Edited at 09:05 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 10, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
veludo
Excited about Disney

Thanks Mazz - thats very reassuring

I think we might go for the Oceanview on Deck 2 - I had visions of this deck being level with the waterline- practicially underwater LOL!

Now just cannot wait to book and start getting all the cruise info that we will need to know!

2008 Highlands Reserve Villa, 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, Xmas/ New Year 2009/10 Coronado Springs May 2010 Puerta Pollentia Majorca, Aug 2010 Hotel New York DLP, May 2011 Waldorf Astoria Orlando,August 2011 Puerta Pollentia, Majorca June 2012 Old Key West
veludo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 10, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post

if this helps here's a pic i took of the ship at nassau just below that yellow line are the deck two portholes as you can see it's way above the water line

Old 31 Jan 10, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
One more thing about the balconies, they have plexiglass over them so little ones can't actually climb up the railings.
Old 31 Jan 10, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
One more thing about the balconies, they have plexiglass over them so little ones can't actually climb up the railings.
But there are loose chairs and a table on the balconies. Children should not be left unattended on balconies at any time!
Old 31 Jan 10, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
veludo
Excited about Disney

Id never leave him alone - I am over protective of him to the point of obsession - its more the thought of him waking up in the night - managing to open the balcony doors and then getting out .

Old 31 Jan 10, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread