Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jun 15, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We've done most areas in Florida, including the Panhandle. One favourite is Orlando, Cocoa Beach, Vero Beach, Lake Worth or Delray Beach, past Miami and across Alkigator Alley to Naples. Then Fort Myers, sanibel Captiva and then back to Orlando. We do tend to move around a lot. Also we like Anna Maria and Cedar Key
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 15, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
We just got back from a bit of a roadtrip. We flew in and out of Miami, did 4 nights in Cocoa Beach (did KSC and a day at Disney from here), down to the keys for 7 nights and then the last 2 nights in Miami at the beach. We had a great time .
Old 18 Jun 15, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
liamaxina
VIP Dibber

liamaxina's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
St Augustine is well worth a visit
Old 18 Jun 15, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
tommys
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

tommys's Reviews
We fly into Atlanta then onto savannah for 2 nts down to St Augustine for 2nts then onto Key West for 3nts before driving back to Orlando for 14 nts
tommys is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 15, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kathrin71 View Post
I'd like to tag along with this thread too!
Planning a road trip for August 2016.
Here is my wishlist and I was wondering if this could be done:
Going for about 16 nights.
Flying indirect to Jacksonville
2 nights in St. Augustine for the history
4 nights in Orlando for our Harry Potter fix
1 night in Crystal River for the Manatees
2 nights near Tampa/Clearwater to do Bush Gardens
2 nights in Naples to visit Everglades
4 nights in the Keys - where is the best place to stay?
1 night in Miami Beach or two nights if there is a ferry to Havana
Flying home from Miami
There is 4 of us, but our sons will be 18 and 15 so no problem in regards to driving around.
Will it be too much driving?
What do you think?
Thanks in advance
LOADS of driving Kathrin, but I'm sure it will be worth it
I used a site called TravelMath, you just put where you want to go from and where to and it tells you the distance and how long it should take.

We're going for 16 nights and are doing a similar ish trip to yours. I have a pre trip report on the go, which I intend on updating tonight, take a look and see.

JA x

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 15, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

We did a road trip for the first week of our trip last month, which was a lot of fun.
Miami - Key West - Key Largo - Sanibel - Sarasota.
There were only 2 of us. We hired an SUV, so we had plenty of space for luggage. It made it easier to load and unload without any hassle, we wouldn't have survived with the boot of a convertible. Best tip would be to grab a couple of crates of water in walmart and a cool bag/box.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 15, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post

we did a road trip a few years ago , landed in orlando, drove in rain to baco rattan , just for an over night stay woke at stupid oclock glad we did as we hit Miami at 5 no traffic, we then carried on to the keys , it was a wonderful drive , but the hotels we fancied were all booked up because of a motorbike rally, so we drove back and stayed in florida city, we did a boat ride on the everglades, we went to naples, tarpon springs, Clearwater , Sarasota, ended back into orlando, this time we are doing orlando, driving to lake city , then onto Nashville , up into Virginia, blue ridge mountains , Charleston , savannah , and then back into orlando for our last 12 nights, cant wait, we always travel somewhere in florida I think you fly such along way its a shame not to ,
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 15, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
wmc711
Imagineer

We are arriving Miami driving to Titusville for KSC then Tampa Orlando Naples then back to Miami

Every day should be a Disney Day

Will.I.Am
wmc711 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 15, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Kathrin71
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by disneydaft70 View Post
LOADS of driving Kathrin, but I'm sure it will be worth it
I used a site called TravelMath, you just put where you want to go from and where to and it tells you the distance and how long it should take.

We're going for 16 nights and are doing a similar ish trip to yours. I have a pre trip report on the go, which I intend on updating tonight, take a look and see.

JA x
Thank you JA, looking forward to have a good read
Old 19 Jun 15, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Kathrin71 View Post
I'd like to tag along with this thread too!
Planning a road trip for August 2016.
Here is my wishlist and I was wondering if this could be done:
Going for about 16 nights.
Flying indirect to Jacksonville
2 nights in St. Augustine for the history
4 nights in Orlando for our Harry Potter fix
1 night in Crystal River for the Manatees
2 nights near Tampa/Clearwater to do Bush Gardens
2 nights in Naples to visit Everglades
4 nights in the Keys - where is the best place to stay?
1 night in Miami Beach or two nights if there is a ferry to Havana
Flying home from Miami
There is 4 of us, but our sons will be 18 and 15 so no problem in regards to driving around.
Will it be too much driving?
What do you think?
Thanks in advance
It sounds great - just get yourselves a great big American SUV for all those views and of course for the comfort on the long driving stretches. You can not beat the comfort of a big car with a big V8 to carry you along.

The Overseas Highway - particularly driving over the 7 Mile Bridge - is the experience of a life time

Stop at John Pennekamp State Park on Key Largo and maybe get a spin out over the reefs in a glass bottomed boat

Stop at Bahia Honda State Park - just beside the 7 mile bridge - and walk up on to the remains of the old overseas railway - or spend an hour on the gorgeous beach there

Vist the butterfly sanctuary on Duvall Street in Key West and watch the sun go down at Mallory Square - we stayed at the Speakeasy Inn and Rum Bar on Duvall Street - scores very highly on trip advisor and is far enough and near enough to all the delights of Mallory a Square

Key West is a bit adult - especially at night - but not too sleazy, aside from the odd brothel with an ATM on the outside wall and notices promising the utmost discretion with your Visa card

The Gulf Coast is beautiful too - try to stop at Sanibel or Anna Maria Island - nicer and quieter than Clearwater

Enjoy every minute !

Edited at 08:05 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread