Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jun 15, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Kathrin71
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by louli View Post
It sounds great - just get yourselves a great big American SUV for all those views and of course for the comfort on the long driving stretches. You can not beat the comfort of a big car with a big V8 to carry you along.

The Overseas Highway - particularly driving over the 7 Mile Bridge - is the experience of a life time

Stop at John Pennekamp State Park on Key Largo and maybe get a spin out over the reefs in a glass bottomed boat

Stop at Bahia Honda State Park - just beside the 7 mile bridge - and walk up on to the remains of the old overseas railway - or spend an hour on the gorgeous beach there

Vist the butterfly sanctuary on Duvall Street in Key West and watch the sun go down at Mallory Square - we stayed at the Speakeasy Inn and Rum Bar on Duvall Street - scores very highly on trip advisor and is far enough and near enough to all the delights of Mallory a Square

Key West is a bit adult - especially at night - but not too sleazy, aside from the odd brothel with an ATM on the outside wall and notices promising the utmost discretion with your Visa card

The Gulf Coast is beautiful too - try to stop at Sanibel or Anna Maria Island - nicer and quieter than Clearwater

Enjoy every minute !
Wow, thank you so much Louli Reading all your recommendations made me all excited! Can't wait to go, so frustrating that I can't book anything until I get to book the flights 11 months out. I'm reluctant to commit to hotels as I need to get my flights for the best possible price, so being flexible with my dates will help. Key West sounds right up my oldest son's street given half a chance!
Old 21 Jun 15, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pacswoman
Proud to wear my Ears

We have done The Keys a couple of times during our Florida trips, we usually stay in Key West for a couple of nights. We have stayed at Avalon Bed & Breakfast on Duval St both times we have done. Amazing little B&B and has Parking too.

When we go this year we are heading to Sarasota and staying on Anna Maria Island at Palm Tree Villas on Holmes Beach.
pacswoman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 15, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Kathrin71 View Post
Wow, thank you so much Louli Reading all your recommendations made me all excited! Can't wait to go, so frustrating that I can't book anything until I get to book the flights 11 months out. I'm reluctant to commit to hotels as I need to get my flights for the best possible price, so being flexible with my dates will help. Key West sounds right up my oldest son's street given half a chance!
You are most welcome !

Look up Overseas Highway and/or Seven Mile Bridge and/or Bahia Honda State Park on YouTube

I promise it won't ruin the enjoyment by getting a wee taste beforehand

There are "Key Deer" to watch out for too on the journey which means speed limits are rigidly and actively enforced

Allow plenty of time to drive down and up the keys - the road is single lane in both directions for long stretches and it's busy
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 15, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

We are driving to St Augustine stopping there for one night and driving down the coast to Kennedy Space centre then cocoa beach then back to Davenport .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 15, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread