Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jun 15, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
daaaveee
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We use a car all the time at home so why would we waste time waiting for buses when we've spent thousands to go on holiday?! A couple hundred quid is worth it many many times over in our experience
daaaveee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 15, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
bulldog
Being a bit Goofy

We think a car is essential, as OP's have said, it's a huge place.
Old 15 Jun 15, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

For most families , a fortnight so holiday ends up costing somewhere north of £400 per day.( often way north )
I'm as tight as they come ( taking packed lunches , free iced water at the parks etc ) but I wouldn't want to spend the quality time ive spent thousands on stood waiting in a queue for a bus. Working out how to get to the malls, the beach, even Walmart . No thanks
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 15, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Stuart446
Proud to wear my Ears

Today it ha been over 90 degrees, if you want to hang about waiting for buses in these temperatures, don't hire a car but for me its a car every time. Probably wouldn't come to Florida if I didn't have a car.
Stuart446 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 15, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bell2015
a Friend of the DIBB

Car or not

Hi
Not everyone has a low points/clean licence, the confidence to drive on the right, is open to see beyond the parks, or can go without alcohol.
We're all different.
Bell2015 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 15, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

5 years ago (hotel near universal) we hired a car and I drove, including Busch gardens and Clearwater. 3 years ago (villa) we hired a much larger vehicle and my son drove almost everywhere... I think that dinted my confidence a lot... plus I'm older, I didn't particularily enjoy the driving... next time I've no great desire to hire a car though I keep thinking about it, were booked in the Rosen at Pointe Orlando, we have however in the 3 weeks booked 5 nights onsite at Disney and 2 nights at RPR, we don't plan a beach visit next time and plan on using a combination of Uber taxis and shuttles. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance plus can use the trolley for idrive. I wouldn't completely rule out driving but it's not in the plans yet... driving over there is not for everyone...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 15, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Never once hired a car in 6 visits to Orlando and had no problems getting around and visiting the places we wanted to.Always stayed on I-Drive and just back from the Rosen @ Pointe Orlando and used taxis in the main and the trolley
JayPR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 15, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
5 years ago (hotel near universal) we hired a car and I drove, including Busch gardens and Clearwater. 3 years ago (villa) we hired a much larger vehicle and my son drove almost everywhere... I think that dinted my confidence a lot... plus I'm older, I didn't particularily enjoy the driving... next time I've no great desire to hire a car though I keep thinking about it, were booked in the Rosen at Pointe Orlando, we have however in the 3 weeks booked 5 nights onsite at Disney and 2 nights at RPR, we don't plan a beach visit next time and plan on using a combination of Uber taxis and shuttles. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance plus can use the trolley for idrive. I wouldn't completely rule out driving but it's not in the plans yet... driving over there is not for everyone...
I feel exactly the same. I had a car booked after saying I wouldn't drive and cancelled it a couple of weeks ago. I do think about doing it again, but I hate doing it and it did detract from my holiday. So yes, it may have been quicker, but I actually envied people waiting for the bus
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 15, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsie
Imagineer

Mobile

Being able to drive over there is massive part of my holiday experience and in the same way I wouldn't go to Florida and not visit MK, I wouldn't go and not drive.

For my family and I having a car is absolutely essential. It gives us the freedom to go (or stop) where we want and not be tied down.

Feb 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza on I-Drive / Sep 2003 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Feb 2005 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Aug 2007 - Indian Creek Villa / Aug 2015 - Indian Creek Villa / Mar 2019 - Red Lion Maingate

Edited at 12:54 PM.
Elsie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 15, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
challybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Amiee29 View Post
will it not be much cheaper without a car? also gives chance to have alcoholic beverages?
we are off on our 4th holiday to orlando and 3rd without hiring a car , we get taxis everywhere and for us it works out cheaper than hiring a car, we stay near idrive and we paid less last time for 2 weeks worth of taxis including airport transfers than we did the first time for car hire , upgrade , insurance, fuel, tolls and parking at the parks . we did work out the costing of hiring a car again for this trip against taxis and the taxis came in cheaper again, we may even use uber taxis this time which will bring the cost down even further .

if you dont want to hire a car you dont have to , lots of people manage just fine without a car , we are a family of 3 adults, one being disabled and needing a wheelchair and 2 teens. plus dh can have a drink without worrying about having to drive as we are on holiday