Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
ResalesDVC
Unread 19 May 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Kids Hobbies/Activities

Good Morning Everyone!
Looking for a bit of advice regarding DS10 and his hobbies. Or should I say lack of! He currently goes to karate once a week and has done for a few years (hes pretty good at it) but Id say since Christmas/January time he has not been wanting to go.
We have tears/sulks. Hes absolutely fine when he gets there and he seems to have a good time. When he first was reluctant to go, I put it down to him not feeling great. He has had various illnesses since September including fainting episodes and I thought he was panicking about fainting but theyve all disappeared and he seems back on top form yet hes still not feeling the love.
Its got to the point now where I think I need to consider letting him stop but Ive told him if he stops he has to do something else and hes not sitting on his PlayStation all day which is basically what he would like to do. Yesterday he got encouraged (made) to go for a walk instead of karate. Ive suggested swimming/football/rugby/tennis/junior gym/horse riding and he said no to every suggestion. He has no suggestion of his own either!

My eldest is the complete opposite! He trains 2xweek, plays matches twice a week and in the holidays he will be begging his dad to take him to the local playing field to train some more.

What do your kids do? Do they enjoy it?
Unread 19 May 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

My ds who is also 10, has always been incredibly difficult when it comes to doing activities outside school. Part of it has been because of shyness and part because of preferring to be on the PlayStation!

He does piano lessons - which he enjoys but not grades, just for fun.

He also goes swimming in a club once a week - which he says he hates but he had complained about me stopping his lessons a few years ago, so I started this and now I think its great exercise so I make him go! He enjoys it when hes there its just getting there.

The one thing he absolutely loves though, and which is thoroughly recommend, is cubs. Hes been going since beavers and even my dd moved to scouts from brownies because it was such good fun. They do all sorts of activities and go camping and please do look into this. It is such a good thing for them growing up.
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
To the West coast...and beyond!
Unread 19 May 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Mine do swimming and karate but in the past we've had trampolining, gymnastics, scouts snd library clubs.

I hope you find something of interest.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
1st ever Disney holiday
Unread 19 May 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Does his school offer any after school clubs? My ds also chose to do rounders on a Friday and as his friends are there, he isnt so shy about it.

My son would be great at cricket or hockey but wont go.

My husband used to teach badminton to kids so they usually go once a week but just the two of them so again no shyness issues
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 19 May 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thanks all.

Ill have a look into Cubs/beavers/scouts- not sure which it is for each age group but I think some of his friends go so that might be something of interest to him.

Hes not shy. Hes the kid that within 5 minutes of sitting by the pool, hes found a friend to play with. ☺️

Honestly, I think hes just lazy. Which is why Ive made him go for so long! That and the fact that it seems a shame to give up something that hes talented at.

I think Ill have a word with his Sensei and see if he can give him some words of encouragement. 👍🏻
Unread 19 May 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

It will be cubs/ scouts at his age I think and if you can find a really active colony its just fantastic. Mine started scouts at 11 are are still involved in explorers and young leaders at 16. Its just awesome how many activities are provided.
Unread 19 May 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Yes probably scouts in fact as my son is June baby and should have moved up a while ago
Unread 19 May 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

My DS was not that enthusiastic about activities between the ages of 12 to 14 - I think it is the age. From 14 onwards he has done running and gym at least 2-3 times a week.

DD rides - about 5 or 6 times a week and competes too so I can never complain about her doing enough stuff
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Kissimmee Swamp Tours