Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Apr 12, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

☆ First Time To New York ☆ Day Seven Home & Final Thoughts

Friday 17th February

After a wonderful week, it was time to go home. We got up at 4am, and left the hotel at 5am. There were a couple of taxis outside the hotel, and the doorman helped us get our luggage into one and agreed with the driver a fare of $70 inc tip to Newark airport (we paid more when we arrived so we were happy with that).

We were at the airport checking in by 5.45, which we thought would be about right for our 8am flight, however in hindsight we could have left it about an hour later. Newark is a very compact airport and we were through check in and security very quickly, however were subdued and tired from our early wake up, so we simply sat in the departure area in that miserable going home state of mind!

The Virgin flight was on time, we boarded quickly and soon were in the air. We were fortunate to have the VPort system again and I watched several good movies (Bad Teacher, In Time, Friends With benefits) and before we knew it, we were landing at Heathrow - our New York adventure was over!

Final Thoughts

In summary, we absolutely loved this trip, and it was one of the happiest and most fun holidays we have ever had! I was confident the kids would enjoy it, but I underestimated quite how much! On the journey home I asked Joe (12) how it compared to Florida; he said he loved it just as much, he couldnt choose between the two, which pleasantly surprised me!

We had waited several years before taking the kids to NY, thinking that it wasnt really a place for children, and I really regret that decision as it has so much to offer families. The key thing when deciding whether your children would enjoy it, is really whether they would enjoy the walking - we walked miles everyday!

We also enjoyed the February weather - I love snow, and was hoping for plenty of it, but in actual fact we only had a flurry on one of the days. Apart from that, the temperatures ranged between 0 - 8 degrees, and we were easily able to wrap up against the cold. Most museums/attractions had free cloakrooms, so we didnt over heat whilst inside, and Im not sure I'd have coped with all the walking we did if it had been hot and humid weather. having said that, I'd love to see Central Park in its full glory, so maybe a spring visit next time.

Having a Big Apple Greeter added a great dimension to our trip, and I would recommend it to anyone who was visiting for the first time. Thanks to Stanley, one of our highlights was the day spent in Lower Manhattan, and he gave me a new perspective when he talked about the events of 9/11, seen through the eyes of a native New Yorker who has worked in the WTC for many years.

With our greeter Stanley (far right) on Brooklyn Bridge

I am a huge fan of architecture, and NY truly has some of the best in the world, and its everywhere you turn! The sheer scale of the buildings, and the fact that there are so many of them on this compact little island, is amazing.

CityPass - we found this to be great value, we did all of the attractions that it entitled us to do, and I would consider getting this again. our favourite attractions were Top of The Rock and the Circle Line Cruise.

Our experience with Virgin was excellent, and they remain my preferred choice of airline where possible.

In summary, we are desperate to go back, despite being there for 7 days, and exploring non stop, we didnt manage to really see much of Central Park, we didnt see a show, we didnt manage a sports game...all things that will b on our list for next time!

Thank you to those who persevered and read to the end!
Old 22 Apr 12, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Really enjoyed reading them. We also loved NY and are looking to return soon.

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 12, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've loved your reports - thanks so much for taking the time - sounds like you had a truly wonderful time.

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 12, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Thanks for the great report, it been very helpful x x x

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 12, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great report, thanks for sharing!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 12, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbigbeak
Imagineer

Great read , thanks for sharing x

1st time POFQ Aug/Sep 2012- 2 weeks -2nd time Rosen inn,POFQ 3 weeks-3rd time NYC,Canada,DC,Rosen inn, Coranado springs 5weeks-4th time Vegas,San Fransisco,Hollywood, Anaheim & NYC 3 weeks - 5th time,Rosen inn international,Disney all star music resort 3 weeks
mrsbigbeak is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 12, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Really enjoyed your trip report, we took our son last year when he was 8 and he too loved it, which I was so happy about, I can't wait to take him back.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 12, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Loved it, would go back in a heartbeat. Great trip report, want to go back even more now!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 12, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
PIGLET38
Imagineer

Just finished reading your trip report which I really enjoyed. I have been to New York 3 times and love it, but still have so much still to do there. Really want to try and take the kids there - possibly next year.

1993 & 1994 Kissimmee*1999 ASM*2000 Lindfields*2006 Pop Century*2010 Windsor Hills, AKL & ASM*2012 Villa Greater Groves*2014 Cabana Bay/Disney Cruise*Apr2016 Villa Whispering Oaks*Aug2016 Highlands Reserve & RPR*Apr2018 CBR*July2018 HR Villa & Anna Maria*AUG2019 HRH*Dec 2022 Regal Oaks*Mar 2023 HR Villa*
PIGLET38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 12, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
HakunaMatata
Helping Minnie

Great report! You have given me lots of ideas for things to do if we go next year thanks for sharing

Glenbrook villas 2009
Highgrove villas 2011
AKL and HRH 2019
Should have been AoA 2020
We're trying again...Highlands reserve villas 2022

HakunaMatata is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List