Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Sep 13, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post

私たちは、東京ディズニーリゾートに行きます G&D Day 4/2

DAY FOUR (1/9) – Part Two – “Jack! Jack!” get me another Long Island tea.

I should mention that whilst you are wandering around the park the volcano erupts at various intervals sending flames shooting into the sky. Got some great video of it. The sound system they use for the rumble of the eruption actually make the pathways vibrate under your feet!
Darrin is anxious to use the pool at the hotel on such a hot day so we head back for a cooling swim. Because I have tattoos I am obliged to swim in a T shirt. There is another guy with the same predicament. Showing tattoos in public is not a Japanese thing in polite society. There is a deep long pool at the top with a large clam shell containing a huge pearl and water from it cascades down over sea shells into the shallower pool below. We spend half an hour or so chilling down. When we emerge from the changing rooms the attendant informs us that from tomorrow the pool will be closed! Darrin balks at this as he really likes his dips during a holiday. It’s the end of the season as far as Disney as concerned and despite the forecast for the next few days being much of the same – (in the 30sC / 90s F) the pool will be closed. Same at the other two hotels too.
This is a night time shot of the aforementioned pool:

We decide to have lunch at the Hyperion Lounge. We keep it light as we are due to dine at the S S Columbia at DisneySea later tonight. I collect the first of our shopping that we have had sent to the hotel from the parks and then we head off back to TDS park. It’s mid afternoon.
Now prepare yourself for The Legend of Mythica or as we entitled it – Let’s drown the crowd.
Using special floats on the harbour the story is one of man’s interaction with mythical beasts. A female narrator tells the tale (in Japanese) of how this gateway can be unlocked. As she finishes her preamble flames shoot out from the stage moored dead centre of the water and purpled clad CMs appear on ski jets. 5 massive floats appear – a Griffin, Ram, Dragon, Frog and Turtle and each bears a large egg shaped object. Water starts to shoot out from the central stage float.

Characters emerge from the eggs – Mickey from the Griffin, Goofy from the Dragon, Chip n’ Dale from the Ram, Pluto from the Frog and Donald from the Turtle. Still with me? I hope you are paying attention as I may pose a test later.
Water and fireworks shoots from the stage as CMs on the harbour frontage proceed to soak the assembled crowds with water hoses. What is it with Japanese park goers and water? Minnie appears on the central float to add to the chaos. Thankfully, I had read about the scenario in a guide book and so Darrin and I are placed well back from the aquatic shannanigans. The crowd seems to adore this water pageant and whilst it is all very grand, I can’t help feeling it’s lost on us Europeans.
We decide to wander and head up towards Mount Prometheus. We do this by taking the pathway to the right of the harbour area. As you climb there are ruins of marble here and there – one of which opens up during Fantasmic and provides a 30 foot high floodlight that extends up into the air. There is also a Ronan Aqueduct and this is a careful way of screening the water area where all the various floats are moored when not in use. There is a 16th century galleon moored below the volcano at a quay where the Fortress stands. She is called the Renaissance and is perfect in detail.

The idea of the Fortress is a place where you can explore and things can be tugged, pulled and played with. Think of it as an upmarket Tom Sawyer Island. There is a solar system room, a war room with terrific ancient maps and a Leonardo da Vinci discovery room. Go up on the turrets and you can “fire” a cannon over the harbour. It also has a beautiful restaurant called Magellan’s. You can image you have stepped back into 16th century Italy. It’s furnishings are jaw dropping. It’s menu offers sautéed king salmon, grilled chicken, veal cordon bleu or boeuf bourgignon.

Unfortunately, we never got to try it. It’s top of the list for our next visit.
Continuing on you pass into the caldera of the volcano. You have entered the world of Jules Verne.
This is just unreal. It’s like you have walked into the very books of 20,000 leagues under the sea or Journey to the Centre of the Earth. And you can do both. The Nautilus lies in the waters below and within a cavernous space is the opportunity to visit the core of our planet. We’ll be doing that another day.

We have a dinner booking at the S. S. Columbia moored in the New York harbour at the American waterfront. This ship is a nearly full-scale recreation of an early 20th-century steam-powered ocean liner. (For those that are wondering, the S. S. Columbia is not a recreation of the Titanic. Also, the S. S. Columbia should not be confused with the Sailing Ship Columbia at Disneyland in California; other than both being ships, the two are unrelated.)

While the S. S. Columbia makes a grand scale prop for New York Harbour, it is also functional, housing a couple of restaurants and serving as the backdrop for live stage shows on the Dockside Stage. The ship is also fun to just walk around and explore, and offers some nice elevated views of the area from its upper decks. This is also the best place at Tokyo Disney Resort to see Mount Fuji when it is visible from Tokyo. I’m putting this next bit in capital letters. THIS SHIP IS NOT AN OLD VESSEL MADE OVER BY DISNEY. THIS WAS BUILT FROM SCRATCH BY IMAGINEERS! Her funnels are painted in Cunard colours. It’s at this point I should tell you that Disney had planned to create Disney Sea Park at Long Island, California utilising the old Queen Mary which they owned at the time. As Tokyo Disney developed the idea moved over to Japan.
I find that absolutely outstanding that they would make a ship from scratch. She stands in water – obviously a created illusion and behind her is a sea wall – Tokyo Bay – the Pacific Ocean lies beyond.
Anyhow, to our dinner date. We arrive fashionably early so we can try the Teddy Roosevelt bar. Everywhere there are photos of this US President and the bar roof is held up by four carved wooden bears.

This is the place for a cocktail or three. I opt for a Ballantyne with ice and a dash of lemonade. Darin chooses a Long island tea. The young lady who mixes the cocktails is a delight to watch. The dexterity is incredible. We have a second round before heading aloft to the dining room. To do you climb an elegant Edwardian staircase (think Titanic).The back story is that the Columbia sailed along the Panama Canal and there is a gigantic frieze in the waiting area. The restaurant is a delightful room. If they had added a live string quartet it would have been perfect. It’s open and airy and has white walls with crafted mouldings and ironwork. There are ceiling high trees.

Let me just explain how dining works at Tokyo Disney. If you stay at a Disney Hotel you can only make a preferred seating reservation (an ADR by any other name) for any eateries within YOUR own hotel. If you wish to eat within the table service places at the parks or at either of the other two hotels then you have to call a special number. When I originally booked our 3 reservations before going on holiday it took over 90 minutes! They repeated everything at least twice. Because our booking was via DVC they couldn’t match up the booking reference and I had a right old time convincing them I was staying on Disney property. At the time Darrin thought I was exaggerating. When we decide to eat at the Columbia a second time he actually witnesses the 30 minutes it takes me to secure the booking. Alternatively, in the parks you can go to a restaurant but you won’t get a walk up at a table service place. They will allocate a time for you to return and will give you a little blue slip confirming the time. This could be as little as ten minutes or as great as two hours at busy times. They could make this aspect of their hospitality so much easier. The 180 days of WDW is far simpler by comparison.

And so to the food…………………….

Darrin’s starter is a small roast beef salad with horseradish and soya dressing:

Me – I go for Marinade of shrimps and scallops with an orange mustard vinaigrette:

Mains are Lobster tail and sautéed scallops in a butter sauce for both of us:

Our wine choice was a Californian Kendall Jackson 2011 Chardonnay
We don’t have dessert as we are full. Time to pay the bill and get in position for Fantasmic…………………

As I descend the magnificent staircase I can't help myself and emit "Jack! Jack!" a la Titanic.

To be Continued

INDEX: http://DIBB.in/8969983

* Please note that where I forgot to take relevant photos I have had to use one or two "library" photos - hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of this trippie.

Edited at 02:56 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 13, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
ooo all the food looks yum!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 13, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Am I the only one who thought Jack Jack was an Incredibles reference?!

Keep typing Geoff. This is good!
Old 18 Sep 13, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Another fab day! I would be upset about the lack of pool though!
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 13, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Great photos Geoff. I can't help looking at the photos and thinking "This is what DLP was going to look like before they run out of money". Don't get me wrong, I still think Parc Disneyland is way more beautiful than others, but the theming at DisneySea is at another level altogether!

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 13, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post

You said it Rob. To think that what is now DisneySea was originally destined for California at Long Beach. Disney don't waste ideas. They pop them in a drawer and then re-emerge them when they need something new. I cannot get over the theming, particularly at DisneySea and I hope to describe more when I get an hour or two to put it all together.
Old 18 Sep 13, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JamelUK View Post
Am I the only one who thought Jack Jack was an Incredibles reference?!

Keep typing Geoff. This is good!
Believe it or not James, the Incredibles is a film I have never watched despite having it on DVD. Maybe when I have a free afternoon...

Edited at 01:20 PM.
Old 18 Sep 13, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Nice reporting and nice pictures
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 13, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Belve it or not James, the Incredibles is a film I have never watched despite having it on DVD. Maybe when I have a free afternoon...
<< SHOCK! >>

IMO, one of the best Pixar movies alongside Toy Story.
Old 18 Sep 13, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Brilliant report and such detail too It certainly looks an amazing place to visit - it's on the bucket list now!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List