Old 30 May 16, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
-40to+40 in 4 months Thailand Day 2 Bangkok temples/grand palace

Day 2 - Saturday

We had agreed with the rep an 830am pick up so planned to go to breakfast just before 8 and then head down to reception. As we were leaving the room the phone went and we were told that our driver was waiting for us!
We said they'd had to wait - so after a pretty rushed breakfast we met the guide in reception about 820. The rep had said that sandals would be fine - although we had to wear long trousers. The guide then took one look at our flip-flops and said we’d have to change into shoes so we went back up to our 50th floor room and finally we were in the car at just before 9!
We had 2 trips up to the value of £50 each when we booked our trip and we thought that this trip would be a good way to orientate ourselves with the city - although we actually did that unplanned yesterday!
We visited the 2 main temples and the palace, although the guide was pretty useless - his English was very poor - and there should have been water provided which wasnt.
IT was VERY VERY hot, it was VERY VERY crowded and we felt VERY VERY rushed and there was no need to have worn trainers as nearly everyone else was in flip-flops. Putting them on and off every 5 minutes was a right pain! I felt we had no time just to wander and appreciate the places and id really like to go back and do them “properly”.
(I have since complained about this - it felt that the guide had a 12 o'clock appointment so needed us back at the hotel by then!)

However enough with the moaning. The places were beautiful and the architecture and colours were just stunning. I have a random assortment of photos - some of them are just of the stunning colours.
The golden buddha - Wat Traimit
This Buddha is made of real gold - the colour is just amazing although I'm not sure the photos do it justice. This is the only one made of pure gold - the others are just mostly gold plate.

The Reclining Buddha - Wat Pho

Pictures from the grand palace - trying to navigate the crowds and keep up with the guide meant getting the camera out an getting good photos was difficult! I dont know if you can see but the crowds are literally shoulder to shoulder.

this is part of the biggest mural in the world - it runs all the way around the palace and the King has ordered that it be maintained. The gold is gold leaf and they are working on the reconstruction and renovation of it all.

Edited at 04:44 PM.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 16, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Day 2 part 2

We spent the afternoon around the pool - again - lovely!

Now you remember the girls in the lounge saying they would double check our reservation for our complimentary meal tonight. At breakfast they apologies for the confusion - there wasnt any - just a delay - and they gave us a voucher for 2 free drinks in the bar. Andy got the 2 main bars confused so he spent the afternoon going back and forwards from the pool to the lounge asking them to change the voucher. He hates sitting in the heat and clearly had ants in his pants that afternoon!

We got all dressed up and went down to the Saffron restaurant for 730pm, via the lounge and a couple of cocktails….… We were the only people in there for about 20 minutes but it very soon filled up. We had a table right next to the window so had a fabulous view of the city.

There was a choice of 5 different rice types

The service was outstanding - after our main course they asked if we wanted to go out to the terrace for a while before dessert. We could have eaten outside but it was quite windy. We had a lovely 5 minutes leg stretch then back in for pudding.

Ive got that after dinner we went straight up to our room and there was a massive thunderstorm which we watched from the window.

All in all despite the rush of the morning we had a great day and are really loving Bangkok.

Edited at 04:43 PM.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 16, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Aw Katie your photos take me back! I loved the palace trip and the reclining Buddha was a favourite of mine.

That food looks sooo nicely presented. I am sure the last time we went we had dinner in our hotel and we had to sit on the floor with the little seats where you tuck your shoes in the little hole in the table - very cultural lol!

Loving reading!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List