Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Jan 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Beijing, Hong Kong and HK Disney Nov 2017 - Day 8 - Ocean Park

Day 8 – Ocean Park

We were off to ocean park today, another theme park in Hong Kong. It opened at 10 but we wanted to make sure we got there in plenty of time so left at 8.15, stopping for a McDonald breakfast on the way past (I think we ate in more fast food chains this holiday than I had the rest of the year )! I had pancakes which was really nice and Chris had a McMuffin, this came to $24 (about £2.40).

There is an ocean park MTR stop, we had to change at Admiralty but the journey was very easy. We arrived at ocean park at about 9, it didn’t open until 10 so we bought our tickets for $840 (about £84) and sat and waited. People started queuing up for the entrance about 9:40 so we joined them.

It opened at 10 and we headed straight to the cable car. The rollercoasters are all over in a part of the park called summit. You need to get a train or cable cart over to it. We were one of the first on the cable cart, it was surprisingly far and took a while. We got off about 10:15 and were on the search for a rollercoaster but we kept getting lost! The park is very confusing! Eventually we found marine land and went on the dragon followed by the ferris wheel The park is on the edge of a hill overlooking the water so the views were amazing. It was very quiet and both were a walk on .

Thrill mountain (another land in the park) opened at 11 and it was now getting on for this time so we headed over to it. Hair raiser is a hanging style rollercoaster and was brilliant, it was also a walk on so we went on three times . I could’ve continued but Chris didn’t want to go on again! We went on flash (a swinging arm ride) which surprised us by going upside down before looking around the shark encounter and some others things.

Attic blast is a small coaster but by far had the longest queue but it was still only about a 15 minute wait, we also went to see the penguins. We had got so much done as the park was empty we decided to get the cable cart back to the waterfront and stop for some food. We wandered around some stalls but some of them didn’t appeal to us but we stopped at the Panda Express for beef meatballs and rice. This was a tomato sauce so for us something that we would usually have with pasta but it was still very nice with the rice. The meal was $62 each and we shared a coke.

We looked around the waterfront, including at the pandas, which were amazing. The whole park was very informative as every animal had whether they were endangered, vulnerable etc and was focused on conservation.

We got the train back to summit, this was manic. There was a lot of pushing and shoving, I’m not sure what nationalities people were but many definitely do not queue and have no problem pushing you out of the way to get to the front! The drop ride had been closed in the morning but was now opened so went on this, it was so scary! It was pretty high anyway but being on the side of the hill made it even scarier! Despite being terrified, I had to do it again (I have a love/ hate relationship with drop rides), I was more nervous the second time going up as I knew what was about to happen! We stopped for a drink, ordering a large coke from McDonalds as it was by far the cheapest place to get a soft drink. It was huge!

We went on a few more rides – the log flume, the rapids (with ponchos) and hair raiser again. The park had got busier in the afternoon and we had to queue for about 20 minutes for hair raiser. The pushing was awful with people trying to barge past to get to the front. We left the park a bit after 5, it felt unusual to not stay until closing but we had done so much as it had been so quiet.

We got back and packed. Our hotel had a sweet stall for guests every day between 6 – 7, most days we weren't around but we got back in time and had some 🙂.

I was feeling slightly headachy so didn’t feel up to doing much for dinner so we wandered round and found a noodle place near the hotel. You choose the type of noodle, spice and filling. I went for beef Shanghai noodles, two spice. Chris had chicken Shanghai noodles, three spice. With two soft drinks this came to $74 and was one of the best meals we had had all holiday. If we had discovered it earlier, I think we would've visited more than once!

I felt like I had eaten loads but looks like I have barely touched it!

We headed back to the hotel, stopping for some cheesecake from a McD café that I had been eyeing up for a few days! We enjoyed our cake in the room, finished packing and went to bed excited to move to the Disney hotel the next day .

Walked – 16km

Edited at 10:34 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ocean Park looks like it has some great rides. The queue jumping must have been frustrating though!

The cheesecake looks delicious!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Ocean Park looks like it has some great rides. The queue jumping must have been frustrating though!

The cheesecake looks delicious!
It was, I don't know where they were expecting to go either as there wasn't even really enough room to push past! It made us a bit nervous about what Disney would be like, but we didn't experience anything like that in Disney
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Sounds like getting there early to avoid the shoving is definitely the way forward glad to hear Disney wasn't the same.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Sounds like getting there early to avoid the shoving is definitely the way forward glad to hear Disney wasn't the same.
Yes it was lovely in the morning, it was only in the afternoon we noticed how bad the pushing and shoving was! Disney was completely different though
Old 20 Jan 18, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Another good day!
Thanks for the detailed info.
I’ll be sure to get to Ocean Park for opening, can’t be doing with people pushing and shoving 😳
Old 28 Jan 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pieces View Post
Another good day!
Thanks for the detailed info.
I’ll be sure to get to Ocean Park for opening, can’t be doing with people pushing and shoving 😳
Yes, definitely recommend getting there early, we got so much done as well