Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Aug 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Same experience here, no cover but blackout tints.

We usually have a dark coloured cover we can use it we need to as well. Never had an issue with all of the road trips we have done. You just have to be sensible, reverse in when parking, usually trying to do it against a wall so the tailgate then cannot be opened, not leaving valuables in the car etc.
Yours, like most replies above, seems to indicate that covers almost certainly won't be in place but I like the potential that view would be restricted by window tints.

As an aside, commenting on a couple of your observations -

1) A very grey area surrounds parking tail in when in the U.S. Whilst not necessarily illegal, most law enforcement want nose in parking to reveal the only licence plate that most of their vehicles have - the rear. I was kindly informed by an Orange County Sheriff one year, never to park tail in. I do this all the time back home and he wouldn't accept the safety benefits of reversing in/ driving out, so I follow his advice wherever I go in the U.S. now. Don't want to fall foul of the law

2) ... not leaving valuables in the car ! Well, that was my very point. A couple of suitcases, whether filled with valuables or not, presents an enticing prospect to the opportunist thief as they try to find out just what is inside. Not having it on view in the first place seems the best plan. Tints and/or black cover sheets seem reasonable alternatives but not guarantees.

Nevertheless, thanks to all for the replies.
Old 11 Aug 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The tail in parking I would only do in a private car park, not the on street parking. There is no issue with doing this on private land, also I can't remember the last time I had a rental which did not have a front plate on it. Because they don't know which states the car may end up in and some requiring them by law, I have found rentals tend to have both fitted.

If the car has bags in then I am just careful about where to park if I have to on the street, it would need to be somewhere with high footfall.

Have very rarely heard of anyone having a rental broken into for suitcases.

Common sense eliminates most of the risk if applied.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The only reason I know our last 3 did was because it was a flipping pain to remove them to use the top teathers on the grandkids car seats or try to fit the umpteen bags of mulch new TVs for the villa etc with them in place
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The tail in parking I would only do in a private car park, not the on street parking. There is no issue with doing this on private land, also I can't remember the last time I had a rental which did not have a front plate on it. Because they don't know which states the car may end up in and some requiring them by law, I have found rentals tend to have both fitted.

If the car has bags in then I am just careful about where to park if I have to on the street, it would need to be somewhere with high footfall.

Have very rarely heard of anyone having a rental broken into for suitcases.

Common sense eliminates most of the risk if applied.
Couldn't agree more with bold point number one. As for bold point number 2, diferent experiences - not wrong just different.

I thank you for your input anyway.
Old 11 Aug 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
The only reason I know our last 3 did was because it was a flipping pain to remove them to use the top teathers on the grandkids car seats or try to fit the umpteen bags of mulch new TVs for the villa etc with them in place
You appear to be the only who's had them. Without that assurance, I'll probably stick with a Full Size car.

Thanks for the reply though.
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. We have had to have an SUV for circa the last 5 years (my bad back) and doing between 3 and 4 trips per annum I have had a cover twice I think. Both on a Jeep Grand Cherokee strangely.

I think they get good deals from the suppliers but keep the cost down by removing them from the spec.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

Regarding the 'tail in' parking issue. We were in a restaurant a few years ago when the Sheriff came in and wandered around asking for the drivers of two cars in the car park as they were 'tail in'. He told them to go outside and turn them around!
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. We have had to have an SUV for circa the last 5 years (my bad back) and doing between 3 and 4 trips per annum I have had a cover twice I think. Both on a Jeep Grand Cherokee strangely.

I think they get good deals from the suppliers but keep the cost down by removing them from the spec.
So in roughly 15 -20 trips, you've had a cover maybe twice. The odds are low and, as said in previous posts, my feelings are to stick with a regular car if I want the luggage completely out of sight.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Most helpful.
Old 12 Aug 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
RICO
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by tiggers friend View Post
Regarding the 'tail in' parking issue. We were in a restaurant a few years ago when the Sheriff came in and wandered around asking for the drivers of two cars in the car park as they were 'tail in'. He told them to go outside and turn them around!
A similar experience to mine. I found it very difficult to confirm whether it was illegal or not in certain states or countrywide, if at all. Just seems to be that law enforcement may want a quick, easy view of one's rear plate whilst driving by.

Not one for a needless argument with someone who carries multiple firearms means I always comply now
Old 15 Aug 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lorbs
Excited about Disney

Borrow the blanket off the flight over. Virgins are dark purple. Return on the flight back of course😉
Lorbs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List