Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jun 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Scenic Drive from LA to Grand Canyon South Rim?

Morning Dibbers

Part of our road trip next year will involve getting from LA (LAX) to Williams, where we plan on staying at the Grand Canyon Hotel and doing the train excursion up to the GC Village.

Has anyone done this drive and can recommend a scenic route that takes in some stretches of Route 66? Also any recommendations of an overnight stop on the way?

When we leave Williams we will be driving to Vegas for 5 nights then back to LA via Death Valley.

Thanks for any info 😊
Old 14 Jun 19, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We just did the drive from LV to Flagstaff (stayed overnight) before going to Grand Canyon. We stopped at the Hoover Dam which was really interesting but very hot then down to Kingman where we picked up Route 66 through Peach springs. I have to admit this was the most disappointing part of our trip. the drive from Hoover Dam down is really boring, hot and tiring and apart from some interesting trains I found route 66 equally boring. Seligman I found a bit sketchy and in hindsight I would have just driven quickest route LV to Flagstaff. Flagstaff by the way I really liked very pretty place and the stayed in the best hotel of our visit there.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 02:27 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I did this year's back. As above I also stayed in Flagstaff and made a day trip to South Rim from there. Want to go back again as it is truly stunning.
Also try to stay in Sedona, not far from Flagstaff- Sedona is wonderful.
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:29 AM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We did the train from Williams yesterday - an amazing day and the guides were so informative. You need to be aware that it's around 7000 ft above sea level.

Edited at 05:49 AM.
AlexE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
We did the train from Williams yesterday - an amazing day and the guides were so informative. You need to be aware that it's around 7000 ft above sea level.
That’s great to hear, did you feel you had enough time at the Grand Canyon or did it feel rushed? We are planning on staying at the Grand Canyon Hotel as it can be bought as a package with the train and it seems good value. We are really looking forward to this next year.
Old 15 Jun 19, 05:15 AM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Mobile

That's the package we did. 2 nights at the hotel in Williams 2 evening meals and 2 breakfasts. You can also add a bus tour with or without lunch. You will get around 3 and a half hours at the Canyon. There are 3 shuttle tour buses as well We have done this trip around 3 years ago so just did our own thing this time. If the Hopi Indians are playing its amazing entertainment.

I think there is a train package that includes a night at a hotel in the Canyon but the website is very informative. You will not be disappointed
Old 15 Jun 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
That's the package we did. 2 nights at the hotel in Williams 2 evening meals and 2 breakfasts. You can also add a bus tour with or without lunch. You will get around 3 and a half hours at the Canyon. There are 3 shuttle tour buses as well We have done this trip around 3 years ago so just did our own thing this time. If the Hopi Indians are playing its amazing entertainment.

I think there is a train package that includes a night at a hotel in the Canyon but the website is very informative. You will not be disappointed
May I ask what class of ticket you bought for the train? Did there seem to be much difference in the classes?
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Mobile

We were in the Pullman coach I think, it was the one included in the package we didn't upgrade. Think I ticked for an adult carriage 😉. Very well organised with allocated seats.
Old 16 Jun 19, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

We've stayed at Williams a few times, they have a cowboy western style show in the morning near to the train station, worth watching if you have time. We've stopped off at Sedona National Park as well, lovely scenery and you can buy native American made jewellery.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List