Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jan 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Generally would use whichever is cheapest but by the time you've finished factoring in all the things like food, drinks, baggage and seat selection which are free with virgin but sometimes chargeable on other airlines virgin usually comes out cheaper or the same for us. Its not always about the base price, its about the total cost for the services you will use and the value of what you are getting
jonsgirl80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Susethomasx
Excited about Disney

We're in Glasgow and Virgin are the only direct flight to MCO at the times we (currently) like to travel to Orlando. Sure we could get a cheaper holiday by flying from MAN, even when we factor in the costs of driving down, hotel for the night, airport parking and driving back up (which we used to do years ago), but when adding on top the exhaustion of that drive back home versus a 10 minute taxi back to my front door, Virgin wins it.

Plus to echo others points, on our last trip with my mum, (she's in her 70s and has mobility issues), they couldn't have been more helpful at every touch point and good customer service like that creates strong brand loyalty, so we're probably going to stay with them unless there's a great shift in their price/service/our type of holiday.
Susethomasx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Air miles is the only reason I lean towards VA, since I became obsessed with them, we saved (& equally probably spent!) a fortune.

There are benefits to staying with one air line but I don't think it matters which one.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
No better until things go wrong, then our experience they’re way ahead of the others. Got caught up in Dorian, flight cancelled, rebooked flight from LGW to MCO onto LHR to Key West with one click on the app from the bathroom of the Premier Inn North at 00:15 hours. We were on the plane before most airlines even answered the phone 👍
I had the same experience with Delta who are a Virgin partner. I was able to rebook my flight very easily on the app before we’d been informed it was cancelled by the airport.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

We are flying with Virgin this year for the first time, we only booked with them because their flights fitted our dates best and, most importantly, the price was good.

We have previously flown with United and Aer Lingus a few times and both were good.

I detest flying so it’s just as quick as I can get it over with to be honest, I’m sure I would feel very different about it if I was in first class but our budget is definitely an economy class one
Gabsnoot is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Susethomasx View Post
We're in Glasgow and Virgin are the only direct flight to MCO at the times we (currently) like to travel to Orlando. Sure we could get a cheaper holiday by flying from MAN, even when we factor in the costs of driving down, hotel for the night, airport parking and driving back up (which we used to do years ago), but when adding on top the exhaustion of that drive back home versus a 10 minute taxi back to my front door, Virgin wins it.
We,re just outside Edinburgh and totally agree with you,hence why were flying with Virgin this year for the first time.Did TUI last year and TC the years before
JayPR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Invisible Man
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
We have only ever flown with virgin so can’t compare really but one thing I do like about virgin is the Disney springs check in service when flying home. Not that I think it’s worth paying significantly extra for mind. We like flying from Manchester and direct, so that limits the choice a bit too.
Same here. Not much choice for us either to go direct from Manchester since the demise of Thomas Cook.. we booked our Fly Drive just before TC went under and paid £2,100 for two adults for a Fly Drive with Standard SUV and Gold Insurance with PE on the flight home. No idea if this is a good price or a bad price.
Invisible Man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
loopylola
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Another one who books cheapest, I've done Lufthansa and virgin in the past, was actually looking forward to trying a different airline this year (I haven't done many long haul tbh) as virgin were mega expensive for our dates, however on a quick check on Skyscanner virgin came up trump's, so virgin it is this year. Under £400 direct with luggage, good enough for me.
loopylola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We were Virgin only people too once. Thinking about it, I think we got sucked into the Virgin miles thing as we accumulated a lot of miles which then felt obliged to use up.

The last time we flew Virgin was 2011; when our eldest started school and we were restricted to school holidays we became more price sensitive and started flying with other airlines to the US and have never looked back. Nowadays, we fly with the cheapest and it’s telling that we haven’t flown with Virgin since then. I always price up a Virgin package with booking direct and separately whenever we go and genuinely wonder what I’m doing wrong as they always come up out much more expensive for us.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarsar1973
Excited about Disney

We prefer Virgin, even tho brother in law is a pilot with BA, just our personal opinion but i find the whole flight experience and crew far more family/child friendly.
I have flown BA, in all classes, and just prefer Virgin. Guess we will all have different reasons!
Sarsar1973 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List