Notices

Old 22 Mar 16, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Disney World solo? Let's do it! November 2016 Pre-trip report

I just put the deposit down on this holiday half an hour ago, but I can't wait any longer to start writing about it! Let me introduce myself, I'm David. Here's a picture of me on a deserted Main Street USA at Disneyland Paris last month -

I'm definitely what someone would call a "Disney nut". I'm 27 years old and have been to Disney World 7 times (97,01,06 twice, 07,08 and 14) and Disneyland Paris 11 times! I actually did a few trip reports for Disneyland Paris last year, links in my signature.

Why solo? My girlfriend and I have been dating for around 3 years, but due to cultural issues a long distance holiday just isn't possible at this point in our relationship. I didn't go on any kind of long holiday last year and I've vowed it wouldn't happen again this year! Weekends away just aren't enough . I started looking at places to go, but my mind always went back to Florida. It's safe, it's familiar, it's not TOO expensive if you're careful, and there's plenty of new stuff for me to do compared to when I went in 2014! I was a bit nervous about booking a solo trip so far from home, but after reading some of the solo trip reports on here I decided to go for it!

I've swayed between October and November for a few weeks but just couldn't make any October dates work. In the end I've settled for November 12th to November 21st - 9 whole nights! I'll be flying direct from Gatwick with Virgin and staying at Pop Century. I've only stayed at Moderates and Deluxes with my family but Pop looks great for a solo traveller and I'm looking forward to wandering around it and Art of Animation .

I'm so excited because I've never been to Florida outwith the summer season so will get to do things I've never done like Food and Wine and MVMCP . I haven't firmed up any other plans for now (waiting for the busy day guide!) but I have to drag this pre trip report out for another 8 months or so right?
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Will follow this with interest, I have never done a solo trip but I am intrigued by those of you who do manage it. Good luck with the planning.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Wohooo! I'm going solo in April (about 4 weeks to go ) so will be following your pre trippy with interest! I've got a wee pre trip on the go just now as well, found it really helped with the solo trip anxiety around planning, should I do this or that etc!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Elsamac View Post
Wohooo! I'm going solo in April (about 4 weeks to go ) so will be following your pre trippy with interest! I've got a wee pre trip on the go just now as well, found it really helped with the solo trip anxiety around planning, should I do this or that etc!
Oh thanks I'll go check out your pre trip report !
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
stace&tink
Imagineer

So excited to follow this!
F&W is great as are all the Christmas decorations.

I too, am currently 27, and have booked to go to WDW solo next year. Soooo excited. It'll be my 6th WDW holiday, 2nd time solo.
Luckily my new boyfriend is "letting" me go solo, on the promise he can come the next time haha!

I have a little pre-trippy on the go and trip report from my first solo adventure is linked in my signature if you fancy a read.

Happy Planning! Cant wait to read more of your plans.
stace&tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stace&tink View Post
So excited to follow this!
F&W is great as are all the Christmas decorations.

I too, am currently 27, and have booked to go to WDW solo next year. Soooo excited. It'll be my 6th WDW holiday, 2nd time solo.
Luckily my new boyfriend is "letting" me go solo, on the promise he can come the next time haha!

I have a little pre-trippy on the go and trip report from my first solo adventure is linked in my signature if you fancy a read.

Happy Planning! Cant wait to read more of your plans.
Haha my girlfriend is exactly the same, she's cool with me going alone if I promise that I'll take her next time. She's never been so when we can go it'll definitely be a big trip! I always love showing new people around my favourite places .

I'm way ahead of you on your trip reports, it was mainly your solo trip report from a few years ago that gave me the confidence to book this so thanks .

Originally Posted by klang_kat View Post
Yay, how exciting!
I'm booked to go solo this September 6th - 20th, I'm staying at Pop too. It'll be my 8th trip but first time solo! My fiance is 'Disneyed out' but I just can't wait another year ot two to go back! I've started a pre-trippy too - I was too excited to wait any longer! I'll be following along with your plans!
Just had a read of your pre trip report and I'll definitely be following along with it. Always good to see more Disney fans in Scotland too
Old 22 Mar 16, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stace&tink
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dav220588 View Post
Haha my girlfriend is exactly the same, she's cool with me going alone if I promise that I'll take her next time. She's never been so when we can go it'll definitely be a big trip! I always love showing new people around my favourite places .

I'm way ahead of you on your trip reports, it was mainly your solo trip report from a few years ago that gave me the confidence to book this so thanks .

Just had a read of your pre trip report and I'll definitely be following along with it. Always good to see more Disney fans in Scotland too
Awww I'm glad my trip report had a positive influence.
I had an awesome time and so excited to do it again.
stace&tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 16, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

I'm off work sick today , so have been having more of a think about exactly what I want to do when I'm there! Before I do that though I thought I'd give a bit more of a full explanation of what my holiday actually is .

I fly out from Gatwick on the 1pm flight on Saturday 12th November with Virgin Atlantic. I would've preferred the earlier flight but it was more expensive, and because I live in London I don't need to stay at Gatwick the night before which is another saving! This will get me into Orlando at approximately 5:30pm, so I'm assuming with immigration and transfers I should arrive at Pop Century around 7:30pm? I'm staying at Pop Century for the full 9 nights and am on the 6pm flight back to London on the 21st November!

Now onto things I know I want to do! I'm in the very early stages of putting together a spreadsheet to make sure I don't miss anything so at the moment am just putting together a list of things I know I want to do!

Theme Parks - must do's i.e. things I've never done!

Magic Kingdom - more specifically I want to make sure I do Keys to the Kingdom (as noone I've been with before would want to do it!), Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and see Festival of Fantasy Parade.
Epcot - must do's are Food and Wine (never been when it's on and I'll catch the last few days this time!), Soarin around the world (or whatever it's called), meet Baymax and the Frozen ride.
Animal Kingdom - I'm really excited to see Rivers of Light, so if the Flame Tree BBQ dining packages are a thing I'll probably do that. I also want to do the nighttime Safari and check out Harambe market!
Hollywood Studios - I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan so I just want to make sure I see all the stuff they added (fireworks and launch bay mostly incl. meeting Kylo Ren if he's still there!)

Non-Disney

Universal - I'm thinking that because it's a slow time of year, and if I pick the right day, I might be able to cram both parks into one day? The main things I want to do are Diagon Alley (just missed it opening in 2014), Hogwarts Express, Kong and The Incredible Hulk.
Sea World - I know it's a controversial park, but I've not been since 2006 and so have yet to try Manta and Mako will be open too. I think I'll just buy a day ticket for here (about £60 or so) and go for the day.
Kennedy Space Centre - I haven't been here since 1997! Looking online you can get a ticket with transportation from Disney so I think it's a no brainer .

That's 8 theme parks, and I have 8 full days. Some planning definitely needs to be done .

Food and Drink

I don't have a dining plan so I'm not going to book any ADR's for this trip. Some of the my must do's are:

Food and Wine
El Cava del Tequila
Boathouse
Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar
Tiffins (probably eat at the bar if there is one?)

Ok on reflection I should've just called that "Drink"

Shopping

I'll be souvenir shopping at the theme parks but apart from that probably nothing. If Seaworld is quick I might pop into the outlets but it's unlikely.

Now that's out the way I have a few questions!

- My plan at the moment is to do Keys to the Kingdom and MVMCP in the same day., planning all my Fastpass + in the afternoon as well as seeing the parade. Am I mad?
- Does anyone have recommendations for places to eat as a solo eater? In particular any bars at restaurants where I could eat?
- With my Universal plans would an Express pass be advisable or are the crowds low enough that I could power round everything (excl. the water rides probably)?
- Could I do Sea World in half a day at that time of year?
Old 22 Mar 16, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Yay, how exciting!
I'm booked to go solo this September 6th - 20th, I'm staying at Pop too. It'll be my 8th trip but first time solo! My fiance is 'Disneyed out' but I just can't wait another year ot two to go back! I've started a pre-trippy too - I was too excited to wait any longer! I'll be following along with your plans!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 16, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
So exciting! Looking forward to reading about more of your plans
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List