Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 19 Jul 20, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile A daft homeaway booking question

So I’m looking for a villa for next year. I’m obviously being a little careful due to the current state of the world...

A possible that I am looking at states, “free cancellation until 12 June 2021” Are there any conditions attached to this that I am missing? Or can I be Fairly comfortable that I can get my money back up til then in any circumstances? Deposit is about £800.

Thanks for any advice

Paul
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Not used Homeaway, but with Airbnb there are no restrictions. We had to cancel an Airbnb booking in upstate New York a few years ago and had full refund within 24 hours including booking fee. Other family and friends have had the same with Airbnb. I would imagine Homeaway works on a similar system but hopefully someone can confirm that
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando_Kings
Very Serious Dibber

Orlando_Kings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Have used HomeAway many times (just searching for next year too!) and it depends on the property as to how much of deposit you get back & when - clearly stated in the booking on property.

We were due to go this year and I needed to cancel. Similar to you I had picked a property that offered 100% refundable deposit up to 30 days before and it was returned swiftly.

HomeAway don't actually pass your deposit into the owners until (I think) shortly after your stay
Old 19 Jul 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Not used Homeaway, but with Airbnb there are no restrictions. We had to cancel an Airbnb booking in upstate New York a few years ago and had full refund within 24 hours including booking fee. Other family and friends have had the same with Airbnb. I would imagine Homeaway works on a similar system but hopefully someone can confirm that
Not quite true of Airbnb ... the owner sets their own cancellation policy so for some it may be cancel up until a few days before at no cost but for others it may be 50% back or even less , you have to check the properties individually. At the moment more properties are doing full refund up until a week before the stay than usual for obvious reasons.
I booked Airbnb for our trip in September last week with no cancellation costs , I certainly wouldn’t have been so keen to book otherwise .
I don’t use Homeaway either but would take the view that there won’t be any loopholes if it says no cancellation charges. Both Airbnb and I believe Homeaway hold the funds until after your arrival , before paying the owner so refunds are straightforward.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Sounds positive then. The one I’m interested in states 100% refund of cancelled before 12 June 21, no refund after 12 June 21.
Just didn’t want to pay a fairly big deposit to find out there were 101 conditions attached that i couldn’t find.

Thank you

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

We had four Homeaway bookings (US and UK). The US had been booked as non refundable but HA were saying they were telling owners to refund- we did get the refund quickly, owner was great. We will be booking the Fort Walton area house again when opportunity to go arises.
We booked three cancellable UK lodges, which we cancelled off due to going to Tenerife instead. All refunds came back promptly.
So pretty flawless refunds with HA for us.
Old 19 Jul 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

As a side note I’ve noticed some adverts now have a symbol on their description awarded by HA which goes on to show all the bookings that the owner has either refunded or rearranged with no financial loss. Makes me a feel a little more secure too.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Old 19 Jul 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Not quite true of Airbnb ... the owner sets their own cancellation policy so for some it may be cancel up until a few days before at no cost but for others it may be 50% back or even less , you have to check the properties individually. At the moment more properties are doing full refund up until a week before the stay than usual for obvious reasons.
I booked Airbnb for our trip in September last week with no cancellation costs , I certainly wouldn’t have been so keen to book otherwise .
I don’t use Homeaway either but would take the view that there won’t be any loopholes if it says no cancellation charges. Both Airbnb and I believe Homeaway hold the funds until after your arrival , before paying the owner so refunds are straightforward.
Yes, you are right 😀 . Sorry op, I mixed it up as currently they have been fully refunding all bookings whatever the original booking terms. They’ve been really fast at refunding through the current issues too
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Yes, you are right 😀 . Sorry op, I mixed it up as currently they have been fully refunding all bookings whatever the original booking terms. They’ve been really fast at refunding through the current issues too
It was only I didn’t want anyone getting caught out thinking that was normal
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
It was only I didn’t want anyone getting caught out thinking that was normal
I’m pleased you pointed it out, don’t know what I was thinking but that’s quite common with me nowadays 😂