Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jul 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

How do I split 10 nights in California?

I'm struggling to come up with my plan for 2021!

Initially I had planned 15 nights in Florida, 4 nights Las Vegas, 4 nights in Anaheim for Disney then was looking to book a villa in the Hollywood hills / Bel Air area for the last 6 nights...

I'm still very happy with the plans up to the point we leave Las Vegas.

How would you split the last 10 nights?

I'm still erring towards 4 nights in Anaheim to do Disneyland justice but have no idea what to do with my last 6 nights. Many have advised me 6 nights is too long for LA and I'm actually starting to listen. We would like to do a day (or maybe 2) in Universal Hollywood and would like to see the LA sights (Griffiths Observatory, Chinese theatre, walk of fame, Rodeo Drive and possibly Santa Monica Pier).

We would also like to do whale watching (or a cage dive if they are doable from the coast without having to do a liveaboard). Should we be looking more into San Diego which I have no clue about? Is 2 nights Universal and then 4 nights at San Diego too much moving around with young kids?
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 03:29 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

San Diego isn't a hugely long drive from Anaheim, we drove there and back in a day. The zoo is amazing, would definitely recommend for kids and there is Seaworld there too.
Hollywood was my least favourite place we stayed in in California, it was fun to see the sights but I would agree 6 nights is probably too many. I'd say 4 LA area/2 San Diego or 3/3 would be good.
Old 26 Jul 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi 3 n is enough for Disney it’s small in comparison to Orlando . You could do a day at universal.
Where are you flying home from. If it’s not booked yet I would suggest San Fran .
2 days on coast stopping at somewhere between LA and Monterey 1 n
2 n Monterey to include whale watching and then a couple of n San Fran.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

I love San Diego, and I think it would be fun to do with kids because of the zoo and the safari park and it's not too far of a drive.

Our 'plans' (because who knows when we'll get to do this trip!) are to fly into San Francisco for 3 nights, then 1 night in napa valley, 2 nights in Yosemite, 1 night in Monterey, 1 night in Cambria, 2 nights in LA, 2 nights in Palm Springs, and then 2 nights in Anaheim for Disney.
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LizzyBear View Post
San Diego isn't a hugely long drive from Anaheim, we drove there and back in a day. The zoo is amazing, would definitely recommend for kids and there is Seaworld there too.
Hollywood was my least favourite place we stayed in in California, it was fun to see the sights but I would agree 6 nights is probably too many. I'd say 4 LA area/2 San Diego or 3/3 would be good.
I think this may be what I am moving towards. Got lots of studying to do though as I know nothing about San Diego. Back to the drawing board yet gains 😂
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi 3 n is enough for Disney it’s small in comparison to Orlando . You could do a day at universal.
Where are you flying home from. If it’s not booked yet I would suggest San Fran .
2 days on coast stopping at somewhere between LA and Monterey 1 n
2 n Monterey to include whale watching and then a couple of n San Fran.
I am thinking of maybe dropping the 4th night in Anaheim to make room for a short San Diego stay. I like the idea of the PCH but think the driving will just be too much for the kids. Whilst there are a few things I’d like to see in San Fran I think it would bore our youngest two silly.

The current plan will be to fly into Vegas and home from LAX... I think.
Old 27 Jul 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PumpkinCupcake View Post
I love San Diego, and I think it would be fun to do with kids because of the zoo and the safari park and it's not too far of a drive.

Our 'plans' (because who knows when we'll get to do this trip!) are to fly into San Francisco for 3 nights, then 1 night in napa valley, 2 nights in Yosemite, 1 night in Monterey, 1 night in Cambria, 2 nights in LA, 2 nights in Palm Springs, and then 2 nights in Anaheim for Disney.
We’ll be fine to travel next summer. It wall all be over and the whole world will be virtually vaccinated... I’ve decided 😀
Old 27 Jul 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
I am thinking of maybe dropping the 4th night in Anaheim to make room for a short San Diego stay. I like the idea of the PCH but think the driving will just be too much for the kids. Whilst there are a few things I’d like to see in San Fran I think it would bore our youngest two silly.

The current plan will be to fly into Vegas and home from LAX... I think.
I agree with this. Monterey and the pch drive are fab but with 2 weeks in Cali I think sticking to the south and Vegas will be more than enough especially with your little 2 to consider. Happy planning! I loved California when I went and its next on our list in the US after Orlando
Old 27 Jul 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LizzyBear View Post
I agree with this. Monterey and the pch drive are fab but with 2 weeks in Cali I think sticking to the south and Vegas will be more than enough especially with your little 2 to consider. Happy planning! I loved California when I went and its next on our list in the US after Orlando
I’ve been to Vegas but never Cali. Would like to see as much as possible and not have long travel days. It’s a difficult balance to strike. My original plan of a villa for 6 nights in Hollywood was simpler 😂 it would have also cut food costs a bit. Will have to have a look at hotel prices as will probably be a similar cost with us needing 2 rooms 😫😂
Old 27 Jul 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
We’ll be fine to travel next summer. It wall all be over and the whole world will be virtually vaccinated... I’ve decided 😀
Haha, I would say you're right, and I hope you are! We're supposed to be going in almost two months, and I've accepted it wont happen now. I'm not going to reschedule until I can see that it's going to be okay for sure, as I don't think I can deal with having to reschedule a third time
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List