Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Nov 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

So Who Would Feel Nervous Getting On A 737 Max

Just seen that Boeing have been granted permission to fly these again after 2 years. You may recall two smashed into the ground killing everyone.

Automated software caused them to plummet into the ground.

Some families of the deceased believe they are still not safe.

I imagine they probably are but they have had to redesign it and ‘give training’ to pilots.

I am not a nervous person but admit I’d feel a little apprehension getting on one.
Old 18 Nov 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I would as I believe when your time is up your time is up. I have lived in London when places I visited were bombed and narrowly missed one - it didnt stop me going out. AlthoughI wouldn’t actively look to fly one I also wouldn’t actively turn down a flight if the schedule and cost worked out for me.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm not sure, like MF I wouldn't purposely look to book it
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

While I agree with other posters about getting on with your life I would not actively look to travel on one. In fact I would actively try not too!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
What rocked me to the core was how the FAA had become too cosy with Boeing.
A fundamental barrier between a producer and a regulator had become breached for the sake of convenience and also political interference by Senators who get support from Boeing.

Would I fly on one? By choice no but in 6 months after they have had an incident free period then yes.

Bottom line they went too far in trying to modernise what was an essentially first class aircraft and it backfired on them badly.

As usual the victims got brushed to one side

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Not in the least bothered.

The FAA have carried out one of their most thorough certification programmes ever before putting their name to the fact that they are safe.

Once the certification is fully in place, I would happily step into one next day.

Orders stand at 4300 (reduced from over 5000 due to the failures and also Covid), so I would guess that within 5 years, practically every one of us travel minded DIBBERS will have flown in one. They are set to become the ‘Ford Focus’ of the skies.

Ryanair for instance have ordered around 130.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:39 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The FAA have carried out one of their most thorough certification programmes ever before putting their name to the fact that they are safe.
They should have done that originally but failed miserably.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
They should have done that originally but failed miserably.

-Steve
Agreed.. but let us not forget that we British certified and introduced the Comet. A300 had an issue with tail fins coming off. DC10 also initially had a very poor record. Dare I mention that the very latest version of the Boeing 777, the 777x has failed certification very recently? (Catastrophic failure in pressure test in Sept of 2019 that tore a hole in the fuselage skin just behind the wing that wrote off the whole airframe.). We will probably all fly in one of them soon enough as along with the A350, they will be replacing B747 and soon, the A380 fleets.. and let us not forget the BA one that bellied in on the threshold at LHR with fuel starvation a few years back. MH370? There have been around 7 hull losses of 777s.
If you have the stomach for it, pick any aircraft you like and google, say Airbus A300 losses, B777 losses or whatever you fancy.

There are numerous aircraft with a safety record inferior to the 737 and to sign off the 737 MAXX after what has happened, the bar will have been set very high indeed.

To refuse to fly on it in the coming years will very seriously restrict your ability to pick and choose on pretty much every short and medium haul route.

It’s your money and mine. It is up to each of us to make choices. If you looked up the failure rate of Helicopters per airframe in service (my former trade was as a Helicopter Airframe and Engine technician), you wouldn’t probably set foot in one.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:51 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I have to admit I would be nervous. I would probably avoid if I could. It depends who is going to use them and what routes. I have a couple of flights that I use regularly and if these end up on any of these routes I won’t have much of a choice.

I have edited this to add that I have been a pretty nervous flyer in the past albeit I feel much more comfortable flying now due to the amount I do and I’m on my own.

Edited at 09:30 PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ShamuLvr
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Agreed.. but let us not forget that we British certified and introduced the Comet. A300 had an issue with tail fins coming off. DC10 also initially had a very poor record. Dare I mention that the very latest version of the Boeing 777, the 777x has failed certification very recently? (Catastrophic failure in pressure test in Sept of 2019 that tore a whole in the fuselage skin just behind the wing that wrote off the whole airframe.). We will probably all fly in one of them soon enough!.. and let us not forget the BA one that bellied in on the threshold at LHR with fuel starvation a few years back. MH370? There have been around 7 hull losses of 777s.
If you have the stomach for it, pick any aircraft you like and google, say Airbus A300 losses, B777 losses or whatever you fancy.

There are numerous aircraft with a safety record inferior to the 737 and sign off the 737 MAXX after what has happened, the bar will have been set very high indeed.

To refuse to fly on it in the coming years will very seriously restrict your ability to pick and choose on pretty much every short and medium haul route.

It’s your money and mine. It is up to each of us to make choices. If you looked up the failure rate of Helicopters per airframe in service (my former trade was as an Airframe and Engine technician), you wouldn’t probably set foot in one.
I was trying to put it into words but you have summed it up perfectly. I'd fly on the MAX when it returns to service and for us that work in MRO's (myself included), it could be a busy time returning them to the service
ShamuLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List