Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile 1st car for teenager advice

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could throw some advice my way about purchasing DD her first car. We really had no intention of getting her a car but I’ve been concerned about her using public transport too and from college and she’s becoming more sociable now too!

It will be second hand and my max budget is £5000.
She had thought about a Fiat 500 but I’ve heard conflicting advice regarding reliability.

She’s not yet passed her test (Although she’s just waiting to book her test) so we are still very much in the early phases Of this- DH says we should wait till she passes. I’m rubbish with cars so anything would be appreciated. Oh insurance advice too please! We’ve done some dummy quotes on small engined cars for a person who has just passed a test and seem to get getting around £1300
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

DD has a 14 plate Fiat 500, she’s had it for three years now. It had just had its first MOT and when we bought. She’s had no issues with reliability. She uses it for work and Uni.

She’s hoping to get something new next year and hasn’t ruled out another one although now the insurance company will be cheaper she fancies a mini.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lottiesmum0 View Post
Hi

Just wondered if anyone could throw some advice my way about purchasing DD her first car. We really had no intention of getting her a car but I’ve been concerned about her using public transport too and from college and she’s becoming more sociable now too!

It will be second hand and my max budget is £5000.
She had thought about a Fiat 500 but I’ve heard conflicting advice regarding reliability.

She’s not yet passed her test (Although she’s just waiting to book her test) so we are still very much in the early phases Of this- DH says we should wait till she passes. I’m rubbish with cars so anything would be appreciated. Oh insurance advice too please! We’ve done some dummy quotes on small engined cars for a person who has just passed a test and seem to get getting around £1300
You may find insuring the car before she passes is cheaper than leaving it until afterwards. Add on yourself or dad to the insurance too as this should also bring the cost down.

Son is with Woop insurance. They specialize in young drivers. He has a Vauxhall Viva, not very glamorous but the insurance was reasonable and it will do for the time being. Son is a bit older but his first year was just shy of £1000 and he has just renewed with Woop at £560.

My daughter is only 15 but she has set her heart on a pink Fiat 500 already !

Edited at 07:08 PM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My son in insured with wise insurance , he has a black box but no restrictions unlike a lot of his friends do .

He has a 1.6 tdci Zetec S fiesta , it’s cheaper to insure than his friends 1.2 Corsa’s have been .

He got his car about a month before his 17th birthday , My daughter got her fiesta about a month before her first test .

We let both kids choose the cars themselves ( or at least the model they wanted ) , whilst we paid for them , they have to drive them so wasn’t any point getting something they didn’t like .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

My daughter is looking at a few small cars;
Vauxhall Adam
Citron C1
Fiat 500
Cost will be a big factor because the car and insurance needs to be between £3-4K no more than that.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post

C1, 107 Aygo

great little cars, can pick the spec you want, aircon etc etc

personally, i wouldnt spend that much, 1st car and all that, little bumps here and there

my 17yr got a Aygo and while its done 100K miles, the price reflected that at £1400
she can drive it for a year or 2 and then sell it on for about £1000 and buy her 1st dream car if she wants
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

DS has a 2014 Peugeot 208 he bought dats before his 17th birthday. He has a black box learners policy with Marmalade insurance who specialize in young drivers.

There’s no restrictions or curfews on his policy, when he passes it convert from a learner policy to full with no extra cost & he’s been earning NCB since day 1.

He has an app where he can see his driving scores, the policy was around the £900 mark, very happy with it.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I have a Ford KA 65 plate for my first car, got it last year at the age of 23.

It’s really cheap on tax and my insurance is really cheap too. First year was about £790. No black box or any restrictions. This year is £660.

I really like it, I was set on a mini at first, but the insurance and the cost to buy the car was coming out more than I would have liked, so that will probably be my next car.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

We are also looking at buying a car for DD and it’s currently between an Aygo and a swift. I will never have any money with 2 teenagers lol 😂
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
spikeybee
Helping Mickey

My daughter had a Fiat 500, for 4 years after Passing her test, it was a great little car no problems for the whole time she had it.
spikeybee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List