Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Nov 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Cornwall with a toddler

Hi all, hoping you are all surviving 2020 as best you can! So we've just booked our first holiday as a family for 2021, it's not exactly Disney but I'm still excited!

We'll be staying at St Ives Bay holiday park in Hayle near St Ives for a week. DS will be 16 months then (June). We've been twice before but obviously only as a couple! So looking if anyone has any experience of activities in Cornwall with a toddler? I'm sure he'll be running around by then as hes already trying to stand at 9 months.

We've been to the seal sanctuary at Gwent before so thinking there, any others? Definitley not the Eden project as we thought it was pants haha.

Thanks!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Is Flambards near helston still there. We used to go to that holiday park every year, we got married in Cornwall as well. We used to love Flambards. Also our son loved trains, so we used to park at the park and ride and get the train to St Ives.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
Is Flambards near helston still there. We used to go to that holiday park every year, we got married in Cornwall as well. We used to love Flambards. Also our son loved trains, so we used to park at the park and ride and get the train to St Ives.
I will look up flambards thanks! Funny you used to the same place!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I will look up flambards thanks! Funny you used to the same place!
Yes we loved it there, started going as my dads whippets used to race there lol.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

St Ives Bay park is rather nice and very well located.

I have listed some suggestions that would be readily accessible with a toddler and that may help. I have lived in Cornwall for all of my life when not a services child or serviceman. I Policed the area for 22 years to retirement.

The Seal sanctuary is at Gweek, not Gwent. It is still going (albeit with current financial problems due to Covid). It has.. seals, penguins, donkeys and things.

Flambards is still there, a little under invested and rather shabby. It would be utterly unfair to compare it with theme parks up country. The Victorian Village part is ok.

The Beaches are right in front of you, Hayle Towans, all the way to Godrevy with its Island lighthouse. It is 4 miles long, great sand and you can even play football there in August. Be aware of Weaver Fish. I would ensure that you wear water shoes of some kind, I wear sub Aqua boots. Whilst it is not likely that you will tread on one, plenty do. There is a great pub for lunch and also access to the beach at Gwithian, if you Google Earth it.
Hayle itself is nothing special, other than Hampsons Butchers .. That sell even better Pasties than the better known Philps.

St Ives is beautiful and great with a toddler as you can go all around the edge of the Harbour. It is as you would imagine a seaside town. Best food? Pedn Olver. The Tate modern is worth a look. A lovely place for Fish and Chips by the Sea.

Camborne, Pool Redruth. Avoid. They eat their young there. We even had print forms at Camborne Nick with 6 boxes for the fingers. There are no redeeming features whatever.

Falmouth (my home town) is good. It has Pendennis Castle (English heritage), a great afternoon with jousting on some days... and fantastic views on the other days.
You can get a boat trip from the Prince of Wales pier to Truro and back, a great trip up the river with a talking commentary. You can also get a boat trip across the bay to St Mawes, (pretty little seaside village and a little exclusive).
You can visit the National Maritime Museum small boat collection where there is plenty of interactive stuff.
You can get Fish and chips at the Harbour Lights, regularly in the top ten chippies in the country and much better than nearby Rick Steins. Custom house quay is a good place to eat it.
You can visit Trago Mills (next to Harbour lights), think Arkwright in are you being served, but on a grand scale with a fantastic viewed tearoom on the top floor.

Eden project is a great day out and very toddler accessible. I am surprised that you didn’t rate it on a previous visit. Huge, impressive, plants now matured and with very good, reasonably priced organic food in the restaurant between the biomes. Don’t visit St Awful. It makes Camborne Pool Redruth look classy. Nearby Charlestown is pretty and interesting with its tall ships.

I hope that I have given you plenty to research and consider. I have been careful to omit other attractions that may be a little more difficult with a buggy. If you want some of them, then just ask!

Best beach in Cornwall... right in front of your destination.
Best Pasty... Etheringtons, just off the Scorrier turn off.. or Hampsons.
Best fish and chips ... Harbour Lights.

Top tip for your particular family group.. don’t bother with Newquay or Penzance (there are no Pirates).

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:00 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

My children preferred Cornwall to Disney when they were very young. There were lots of attractions to visit. As adults they now like Disney but still love Cornwall.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Wonderful thank you for all the suggestions! The beach at Hayle is gorgeous isn't it. Can't wait to let him run around on it! Eden project we dont rate because it felt like they were trying to gouge you for money at every turn, but will definitely be looking up all of the others.

I agree with you on Penzance and Newquay haha

Also oops on the Gweek vs Gwent lol

Edited at 05:17 PM.
Old 20 Nov 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Wonderful thank you for all the suggestions! The beach at Hayle is gorgeous isn't it. Can't wait to let him run around on it! Eden project we dont rate but will definitely be looking up all of the others.

I agree with you on Penzance and Newquay haha
Interestingly (maybe), when you go onto that beach down the lane at Gwithian Village, in the sand cliff is a set of rails sticking out with a mining cart emerging.

If you then carry on past the end of the beach from the NT carpark by Godrevy Lighthouse Island, you can see Seals in the coves below you.. may be a little awkward with an 18 month old.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:13 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

We went to somewhere with little trains. Think my youngest was about that age
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
We went to somewhere with little trains. Think my youngest was about that age
That would probably be the Lappa Valley Railway in Newquay. If you consider that as an option, then the Zoo is very good also and you would kill two birds with one stone.