Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
hvasey
Imagineer

Ex Navy divers can earn a fortune doing underwater bomb disposal, far more than land based. The guys DH knew ( he’s ex RAF and was doing land based) would just work the summer months.
hvasey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hvasey View Post
Ex Navy divers can earn a fortune doing underwater bomb disposal, far more than land based. The guys DH knew ( he’s ex RAF and was doing land based) would just work the summer months.
I’m sure that’s part of his inspiration! That & the fact he loves diving.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Try this;

royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...learance-diver

A few tips;

Look at the contents of the website above, knowledge is power.
Be ready to answer the question why he has chosen the Royal Navy
Why do you want to be a diver?
What duties would you carry out as a diver?
If you don’t know the answer to a question - say so. Don’t waffle.
Don’t be lured into an earlier join date into another branch ( and then transfer into Diving branch later)... No! Hold out, even if it’s several months, for your chosen branch
Learn what the RN consists of at the moment - units, establishments, strength etc ( Buy the Navy News)... that will show where units are deployed at the moment
Be ready to explain how you are a team player
Sell your qualities to the interviewer
Relax, smile, project confidence

I wish him the best of luck in his quest to join the Senior Service (the best!)

Please let us know how he gets on.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I did 25 years and enjoyed it. I can't say I enjoyed every minute of it because some of the training I endured was arduous. If he is educationally qualified for university then he should consider a career as a Clearance Diving Officer instead of a Clearance Diver. Both avenues are very demanding and will require a great deal of determination. The officer route is harder but the rewards at the end are well worth the effort.
Old 22 Jan 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Try this;

royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...learance-diver

A few tips;

Look at the contents of the website above, knowledge is power.
Be ready to answer the question why he has chosen the Royal Navy
Why do you want to be a diver?
What duties would you carry out as a diver?
If you don’t know the answer to a question - say so. Don’t waffle.
Don’t be lured into an earlier join date into another branch ( and then transfer into Diving branch later)... No! Hold out, even if it’s several months, for your chosen branch
Learn what the RN consists of at the moment - units, establishments, strength etc ( Buy the Navy News)... that will show where units are deployed at the moment
Be ready to explain how you are a team player
Sell your qualities to the interviewer
Relax, smile, project confidence

I wish him the best of luck in his quest to join the Senior Service (the best!)

Please let us know how he gets on.
Great advice, thank you!

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
I did 25 years and enjoyed it. I can't say I enjoyed every minute of it because some of the training I endured was arduous. If he is educationally qualified for university then he should consider a career as a Clearance Diving Officer instead of a Clearance Diver. Both avenues are very demanding and will require a great deal of determination. The officer route is harder but the rewards at the end are well worth the effort.
Thank you, I'll speak to him about that, I don't think he's realised it's an option.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Good luck to him! My husband is ex RN and he had the time of his life when he was serving, until he met me of course 😜 He’s been out for 16 years now but I can ask when he gets in if he remembers anything from back then that might help x

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Good luck to him! My husband is ex RN and he had the time of his life when he was serving, until he met me of course 😜 He’s been out for 16 years now but I can ask when he gets in if he remembers anything from back then that might help x
Thank you

Old 18 Feb 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Just realised that I never did update this thread.

Huge thank you to everyone for some brilliant advice, and to those who PM'd me also

He's got through the interviews now and been accepted at this stage, off to Portsmouth next week for his medical.

He has been told that he'll have a 2-3 year wait for a diving role however, so he's very unsure of what he's going to do.

Old 18 Feb 21, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Just realised that I never did update this thread.

Huge thank you to everyone for some brilliant advice, and to those who PM'd me also

He's got through the interviews now and been accepted at this stage, off to Portsmouth next week for his medical.

He has been told that he'll have a 2-3 year wait for a diving role however, so he's very unsure of what he's going to do.
I was wondering! So glad it went well. I had to wait over a year for my chosen trade, it’s well worth it. I’d advise him to get a job where possible, stay fit, and keep pestering the careers office for regular updates on when he will be selected. He’s passed the first hurdle, get the medical squared away and then bide his time until called forward to be a diver. Fantastic news - best of luck to him.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 21, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
LIZH
Imagineer

My sons in the Navy in the subs, fancy being 6ft 5in and in a sardine can. There was a wait with my sun, but immediate start for the Subs, he took the subs, but would now like to transfer to to a physical education trainer.

Edited at 06:57 AM.
LIZH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List