Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Nov 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Love my daughter but really dislike her behaviour right now!

Apologies for the rant in advance, but I need to get it off my chest before I explode!

My DD is 17 this month and we are in a very fortunate position to be able to pay for driving lessons and buy her a little car. She already knows the mechanics of driving as she has an old car on a field we have.

However she has become rude, disrespectful, moody and ungrateful over a period of time. I fear whilst most young people would love to have the above, she wiĺl be indifferent and still manage to cause an argument on what should be a happy experience.

I feel so upset, we are not rich, we have average jobs and are reasonably careful wih money. I enjoy sharing it with my children. I know i should take a step back and look at the bigger picture. If was reading this post I would be able to give practical parenting advise based on evidence of normal teenage behaviour, disorganised teenage brain, hormones and developments BUT its sooo hard when you are emotionally involved!

A hard lesson learnt for me - A good relationship with your child is far more precious than anything material.

I just want her to be the happy sweet girl she used to be 😥😥😥 and hope we can still be the best of friends when she comes out of this horrible development phase .

Thank you for reading.

sharlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
nickimiz
Imagineer

You are not alone ! My daughter is 16 (in January) and seems to take everything for granted with me at the moment, we've just got back from a lovely holiday in Florida (just me, her and my mum), she had everything she wanted, have I had a thank you - no. All she wants to do is spend time with the boyfriend , if she's not with him she's on the phone to him - so today I've put my foot down, hasn't gone down well but tough !
Old 4 Nov 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Yup, this must be the cry of most parents at some stage!

I often wonder whether I put my parents through so much angst

My children are DS, 26 (next week). and DD 23 - I think I have said exactly the same as you on more than one occasion over the years Our trip to Florida in 2015 was almost ruined by my DS, who didn't want to join us on some days at the parks, prefering to stay in the villa on his own. DD has her moments too.

But we just go with the flow now. We try to provide the best for our children, but I don't think they will appreciate our efforts until they are parents themselves!

So, really sorry, no real advice for you I'm afraid. But feel free to post on the Dibb - it really does help to prevent slapping them

Deb

Edited at 08:41 PM.
grottyrotty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post

It's hard to see your child turn into a Verruca Salt but I think they all do at some point. Forget counting to ten you have to count to a hundred, and sit on your hands so you don't throttle the life out of them. Also biting your tongue can help, then you drive yourself to your field and scream your head off.

They and you will come through this nightmare.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

It hits all parents at some time. The exact age may vary but always ends in teen
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by nickimiz View Post
You are not alone ! My daughter is 16 (in January) and seems to take everything for granted with me at the moment, we've just got back from a lovely holiday in Florida (just me, her and my mum), she had everything she wanted, have I had a thank you - no. All she wants to do is spend time with the boyfriend , if she's not with him she's on the phone to him - so today I've put my foot down, hasn't gone down well but tough !
I know it's normal behaviour at this age but still really hurts doesn't it. Well done for making a stance.

sharlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by grottyrotty View Post
Yup, this must be the cry of most parents at some stage!

I often wonder whether I put my parents through so much angst

My children are DS, 26 (next week). and DD 23 - I think I have said exactly the same as you on more than one occasion over the years Our trip to Florida in 2015 was almost ruined by my DS, who didn't want to join us on some days at the parks, prefering to stay in the villa on his own. DD has her moments too.

But we just go with the flow now. We try to provide the best for our children, but I don't think they will appreciate our efforts until they are parents themselves!

So, really sorry, no real advice for you I'm afraid. But feel free to post on the Dibb - it really does help to prevent slapping them

Deb
I'm sure I never put my parents though it 🤔... To be fair it's so long ago I think I have erased it from my memory 😉

Old 4 Nov 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FairyNuff View Post
It's hard to see your child turn into a Verruca Salt but I think they all do at some point. Forget counting to ten you have to count to a hundred, and sit on your hands so you don't throttle the life out of them. Also biting your tongue can help, then you drive yourself to your field and scream your head off.

They and you will come through this nightmare.
This made me laugh. She can be so lovely but is more a camel at the moment!

Old 4 Nov 17, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post

By the end of it, and it could take years, she will come out the other side looking and behaving like a beautiful swan. It's not such good news for you I'm afraid. You however will most likely have a few grey hairs, some wrinkles and lots of bald patches where you've ripped your own hair out to save ripping hers out. The Christmas booze stock will be severely depleted and you may need to give up nicotine.
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Can you tell alot of us have been there and don't envy you.