Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Delta announced last trip they had a Nut Allergy sufferer onboard and would not be serving nuts
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

This is always a big concern for us, as my DH has an allergy to all nuts. We don't know if his allergy is airborne, he was diagnosed many years ago, they didn't do any tests back then for airborne allergies.

I would have always assumed that anyone who has a nut allergy, would also be affected by the airborne particles of the nuts. It is the dust on the nuts that becomes airborne, we have also always assumed that my DH is safe from anyone eating, say a tomato and pesto sandwich, near to him, as there are no particles to become airborne. If this isn't the case, I would love it if someone would let me know.

Virgin serve nuts (not peanuts) with almost every meal. There are often nuts on the salad and pesto in their sandwiches. The biggest concern for me is these items can be dropped anywhere and then not thoroughly cleaned up. So I take my dettol wipes and wipe down everywhere when we get on.

We have never asked for an announcement to be made, although we have heard them, because my DH doesn't like to make a fuss. But I think I will the next time we fly as my DH does get quite anxious on the flight, when you have been rushed to A & E with your airways closing, you don't want the idea of that happening when you are miles from a hospital.

If the idiots who eat nuts on a plane when they have been asked not to, were aware they may cause the flight to be diverted or turned around, I'm sure they wouldn't eat them then.

TUI are the best in my opinion for allergy sufferers, we haven't flown with them for a while but the last time we did they had a large folder with all the allergy information in, for everything that they served on the flight. They gave the folder to my DH so he could check what he could eat. We usually just take his own food though.

A few weeks ago we went on a Virgin train in first class, they were giving out nuts to the passengers. My DH then spent the next 30 minutes with his coat over his nose and mouth. Most food allergies are not airborne, so there's no danger as long as you don't eat what you are allergic to, but nuts are different, they should never be given out on any form of transport.

Edited at 09:43 AM.
Helen J is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DMT
Proud to wear my Ears

Last year on virgin they served a snack bar with the sandwiches that had nuts inside and they made an announcement that someone onboard had severe nut allergy so asked passengers not to open them but they still served it and some passengers ate theirs. I’m not keen on nuts so I sent mine back unopened.
2015 - Club Sevilla, 2016 - April Club Sevilla ,Sept SSR
2019 - Summer Bay & Hilton
DMT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

On one of our most recent flights with Delta there was an announcement re pax with nut allergies... they offered to swop food from anyone who'd brought nut type snacks onboard for anything from onboard snack menu. I was amazed just how many folks had snack bars, trail mix etc with them and quickly surrendered them to staff...plus they could collect when we reached our destination.
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
minshus
Excited about Disney

My daughter has a peanut allergy, but has been advised not to eat any nuts at all. Luckily it is not airborne. She does not eat any food supplied on any aircraft by any airline, she brings her own food wipes everything down within her vicinity and that puts her mind at rest.
minshus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I have moderate peanut allergy (score 6 on the allergy test, 7 and above being anaphylactic), I also have allergies to other types of nut if varying degrees - I didn’t even know that was a thing until I was diagnosed. Believing you were either allergic or not.
Anyway as for airlines I would always travel TC as they didn’t use nuts in their meals or serve peanuts. Obviously couldn’t guarantee other passengers but would make an announcement.
We are travelling VA next time and I’m going to be taking my own food for the flight as despite conversations about the allergy like others have said, they don’t seem to understand that not just peanuts can cause allergies. Worryingly they told me that I could have a sandwich containing pesto and didn’t realise it was made with nuts!
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

I really must be the odd one one out here. I have never been on a long haul flight and Ive been on a quite a few over the years plus european flights and have yet to hear an announcement about 'nut allergy's on any of these flights. Ive been given nuts on BA flights (club class).

Quite possibly there have been people on these flights with serious allergy's but this has not been announced to all other passengers. I suppose if the person with the allergy doesn't mention this to the flight crew or indeed at the booking stage, how is one to know you could be causing serious harm to someone else. As a family we take plenty of snack foods on the plane sometimes we have taken nuts and sometimes not, in case the food doesn't suit and snacking passes the time. Nuts in chocolate bars etc.

Perhaps an announcement should now be mandatory and be made prior to take off (especially long haul) that 'nuts etc' must not be consumed during the flight under any circumstances in case there are passengers with a nut allergy on board. But, this wont stop nuts being in some foods, unless the airlines make a real effort to ensure that none of the food they serve contains nuts or traces of nuts.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

I've been on many a Virgin flight where the "passenger with a nut allergy" announcement has been made.

Virgin don't serve nuts as part of the drinks service, but they cannot stop any passenger bringing their own nut products onboard & consuming them. On a flight where the announcement had been made, an American guy sitting opposite me was enjoying his Snickers bars during the flight.

If you have a severe nut allergy, it's worth remembering how little time the cleaners have on the plane in a turnaround (under 12mins is normal). How do you know the person last in your seat was not eating nuts for the duration of the flight & wiping their hands on the seat cushion? If you have a severe allergy, take your own wet-wipes onboard & clean the seat armrests, tray table & IFE controller yourself.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I have a nut allergy (not enough to have an announcement made though) and I had a guy enjoying two family sized bags of peanut m&ms in the seat behind. I could smell them during the entire flight. Can't control what other passengers eat so I agree with Kraken, take wet wipes.

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

We fly with BA 5-6 times a year; they serve a selection of nuts in the premium cabins but not peanuts.
On our last outbound flight (3 weeks ago), they announced a passenger on board with a nut allergy & asked others not to eat nuts; they served pretzels instead.
First time I’ve ever heard that announcement being made.

Edited at 06:56 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List