Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jul 20, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile Smart bulbs with a Google hub...an idiots guide

hi all

I'm after some advice. We have a Google home hub and I think we can get smart bulbs to link in to our system but I'm confused 😕

Does anyone have this set up? What do you have and is it easy to work?

The main reason I want them is to set timers for when we are away. Is this even something we can do or am I better with my old fashioned lamp and manual timer system?
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Any help?

androidauthority/sma...-a-hub-961231/
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Rding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Yeah you can I have mine set up to do the same. These are what i have
amazon/TP-Link-B22...9825& sr=8-14

Its easy to link into gooogle home via a smartphone or tablet and from there on you can control it via the speaker. Thier own app is also pretty good. You can also buy smart plugs so you can do the same with table lamps etc. What I would say is decide on a make and then stick to it. I started with one brand and then ended up switching to another as i wanted to add more functions to my system leaving me with lamps i no longer wanted.
Rding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We have this glad to hear of someone who has google and not Alexa! Dh buys the bulbs from Ikea - Tadfri I think they are. I then have an app on my phone called Smart things and I can do it all from there even opening the door so I don't take keys out with me. He did have routines set up but we have just had some electric and wifi work done and that doesn't work at the moment. I find the app very easy to use and I am a real luddite! We used them when we were away at Christmas, we have somethign called a Piper camera as well so could check they were coming on ok. Hope that helps.
Old 15 Jul 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

I have smart plugs and bulbs also. I used the recomended app to install. Also some need 5ghz wifi turned off at hub to connect. Once connected give it a name. I have likes for plugs called TV, Wee lamp, PC, Kitchen . once setup then transfer to google home app.

Then just say hey google or ok google turn on tv.

if you have multiple google in home you can also broadcast to them. Say hey google broadcast. itll say whats message? usual one in our home is yer tea is out.. then it will repeat your message to all googles..or u can say to an individual one.

You can also broadbast from your mobile device where ever u are...even outwith your home... its ace... can even control all lights and plugs from where ever u are
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Originally Posted by jaff View Post
I have smart plugs and bulbs also. I used the recomended app to install. Also some need 5ghz wifi turned off at hub to connect. Once connected give it a name. I have likes for plugs called TV, Wee lamp, PC, Kitchen . once setup then transfer to google home app.

Then just say hey google or ok google turn on tv.

if you have multiple google in home you can also broadcast to them. Say hey google broadcast. itll say whats message? usual one in our home is yer tea is out.. then it will repeat your message to all googles..or u can say to an individual one.

You can also broadbast from your mobile device where ever u are...even outwith your home... its ace... can even control all lights and plugs from where ever u are
Can you broadcast to an individual google speaker? I thought it just broadcast to all. Thats one of the reasons I was thinking of switching to Amazon.
Rding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Rding View Post
Can you broadcast to an individual google speaker? I thought it just broadcast to all. Thats one of the reasons I was thinking of switching to Amazon.
Yes you can. For example i have 5. livingroom, Kitchen, master bedroom, aarons room and cameron room

just say hey google broadcast to cameron room. it'll ask whats the message and say what you want...and it will only broadcast to the speaker requested.

its ace.. my sons and I are online gamers. So we use it as they will most gauranteed have headsets on. So to save wifes voice she broadcasts all the time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone. That's great
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List