Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jun 14, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post

advice please never done DIY but want to for 2015

Hi,
We have always gone on a virgin package thanks to Tesco, but that is no longer looking possible.
But we have the Florida bug now so I need to have an idiots guide on how I get there booking it all DIY.
I have read loads of threads about different flight routes but to be honest I have no idea what half the codes mean
So could you please give an idiots guide for me
We would be going during School holidays as I work as a TA, never done indirect before but looks like this is now how we need to go.
We would be 2 adults and 1 child aged 14 so I suppose that is really 3 adults
Be thinking of going either Easter but that is a tight window as I cant fly until 28th March and have to be back in work on 13th April.
Or any time between 21st July and Sept 1st. which is probably the most flexible
Usually we go for 16 nights. I wouldn't mind flying into somewhere else as we usually visit friends near Vero beach, and I enjoy driving so that isn't a hassle.
But where to I look and when should I look. Also what sort of time do I need to have to swap planes? See told you I needed an idiots guide
Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 14, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
prt2
Very Serious Dibber

Sometimes the price save balanced against the hassle of indirect doesn't make it VFM in my opinion.
Start by costing flights on BA.com and Virgin. See what hotel packages are like with the airline or through trave republic or trip advisor and then check out fly drives with the airlines or car hire from uscarhire or uscarrentals and that will give you your ball park figures ... After that just play and see if you can beat them ...
BA fly in to Tampa and Orlando ...
prt2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 14, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow! Will I get commission

I guess there's no hard and fast rule on how to DIY. Some Dibbers book accommodation first and then check airline websites and comparison sites religiously until a flight comes up as close to their ideal price as possible and then book. Personally, I prefer to book a flight + accommodation package with a company like Expedia - I found this to be cheaper than doing them separately but that's just my experience. In terms of flights you need to decide whether you want direct or indirect - again, this is personal choice and what your budget will allow but if you go indirect the times between connections will vary considerably and can seem impossible in some cases - it often depends on airport layout as to what is doable but go for something that you're comfortable with - if your bags are checked through to destination then a short layover is possible. When I flew indirect via Washington we originally had an 1.5 to spare but with delays in leaving Orlando due to a thunderstorm we ended up with 10mins to make our connecting flight back to the UK; quite a hair-raising experience but we managed it! You can sign up to get flight alerts with Skyscanner, Kayak etc and they'll let you know when deals come up.

Of course you'll need to check passports and ESTA's are all valid and up to date before doing any of these things; and as soon as you book flights etc make sure you have adequate insurance cover with end supplier failure booked up to start immediately, not when your holiday does. All the extras like car hire, park tickets etc can be booked nearer to the departure date so there's no rush to get it done straight away unless you really want to.

To sum up; DIY isn't as scary as some think; I quite enjoy the planning and researching that goes into it, and you can make some really good savings. Enjoy!
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 14, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

There is a thread on here that gives advice on how to do this. Cant find it at present but I am sure someone will.
Old 7 Jun 14, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skindogg
slightly serious Dibber

skindogg's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We always find booking a villa direct with the owner is best and cheaper.

Last summer good friends were on their Honeymoon booked through Virgin Holidays and they were in Solana off US27. We were in Hampton Lakes (the next development along) and we did DIY. The price difference was very significant and both villas were comparable.

People may be wary about booking direct with the owner so of course look at reviews and maybe check out The Dibb Advertised villas first. We personally use a villa rental company based in Florida owner by a UK couple and it's been flawless experience.

Honestly DIY is great just do it! Loads of people here to bounce ideas off as well as you do it and it makes the holiday extra special...in my view

Edited at 09:50 PM.
skindogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 14, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Looking at DIY for next year as thomson don't do a multi centre between hotel and villa

So to start

flight- Thomson,monarch and Fly thomas cook has flight out now and at 11 month from return date sign up to kayak and sky scanner fare finder

hotel - Disney are out,Travel repulic and hotel 4 u are got offsite hotel out and villa owner will be out.

Car Hire not out yet but a flydrive with Ba is normally the same as flight only with all needed insurance and can be booked for £300 despoit.However there are a couple of car rental company in the advertiser section here

Hope it helps a bit
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 14, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread