Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Don't think I'll be flying with Virgin for a while

Just got back on Wednesday and I think myself and my husband have both decided we won't fly with Virgin again for some time.

We've flown with Virgin 4 out of 5 trips to Orlando now and this time we felt it all a bit lacking and were quite disappointed with it all.

First of all, on the flight out the staff we're all a bit haphazard, more interested in entertaining than helping.
Although I didn't want to be difficult, I asked for some hot water instead of tea and coffee and said I didn't mind waiting, but I never got any. I politely asked for some again a bit later and again they forgot. I finally got some about 6 hours in, right when we were experiencing some turbulence and had it spilt on my hand, so in the end asked if it could be taken away. Lucky I'd brought a bottle of water.
The movies kept being loudly interrupted by cabin crew announcing various birthdays and anniversaries.
No fab lollys, only a bag of skittles were given out. And no sweets for landing.
My seat front and tray were visibly dirty, and my husband had two pairs of headphones that didn't work.

On the way home, we didn't get the little pack we used to get (with the socks, little toothpaste, mask) I remember us getting a couple of years ago when we flew economy with them. Guessing these are now reserved for Premium Econ and above?
Again the staff were a little forgetful, not clearing away our row's trays at mealtimes etc, until we had to flag someone down and ask, only to be huffed at.

But the worst thing about the whole flight was the special meal I requested. I pre-requested a gluten free meal , and although I know the meals are always destined to be poor (and so brought some food of our own for the way out) it was breakfast on the way back that upset me the most, where I was given a pot of mandarins (which I had already had for 'pudding' with my evening meal) and a single gf bread roll, with no spread or jam or anything. I just felt like I was being sort of punished for requesting a different meal with no real care from virgin what meals they are putting together.

Sorry for the rant, but the entire thing just got me feeling really down on virgin as a whole. I think we'll try BA again next year, as although the prices seem to be a bit higher, I think you do generally get a better service and flight.

I don't know what it is about Virgin. We've flown with them in 2015, 2016 and 2018 and have only seen a decline in their standards through our trips. I feel like it was more a party plane on the way out than anything else. And although I know I probably sound really grumpy, ~I just want to sit and watch a movie and not have to sing happy birthday to someone four rows in front of me every half hour.

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

sorry you had a poor experience we feel the same about virgin (although out of manchester, there are few options).

Like you, I don't enjoy the birthday/special occasion announcements all the time. They used to be very very occasional which I could ignore, but on a couple of recent flights it's been far too much

and yeah I guess we do sound grumpy, but I really just want to read/watch a movie in peace
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Having the entertainment constantly interrupted would be so annoying! Luckily haven't experienced that on previous trips other than from the captain. Hope our November trip doesn't get any otherwise I'll be speaking to the crew about it.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
and yeah I guess we do sound grumpy, but I really just want to read/watch a movie in peace
I don't want to be that person but I'm with you, I just want to watch my movie. Although Virgin have started putting multiple adverts before their movies now too which is annoying.

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
Having the entertainment constantly interrupted would be so annoying! Luckily haven't experienced that on previous trips other than from the captain. Hope our November trip doesn't get any otherwise I'll be speaking to the crew about it.
It was just constant, never had it that bad before!

Old 27 Sep 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

We flew virgin in May and BA in August and both interrupted the films with very very loud announcements, which I agree was annoying. BA also did a happy birthday at the end of the flight too!

I generally like both airlines but on our virgin flight, when offered a drink I asked for a red wine. I don’t normally have alcohol on flights but thought I’d treat myself, but I asked for some water to drink along side it.

Anyway the stewardess said I could have both but only one cup as I needed to be more environmentally conscious !

I found that annoying - I’m all for the environment but I was on a transatlantic flight and it’s not my fault if they serve plastic cups!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I don’t really rate their service much anyway I always just go with the cheapest, although if same price I pick BA.
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
We flew virgin in May and BA in August and both interrupted the films with very very loud announcements, which I agree was annoying. BA also did a happy birthday at the end of the flight too!

I generally like both airlines but on our virgin flight, when offered a drink I asked for a red wine. I don’t normally have alcohol on flights but thought I’d treat myself, but I asked for some water to drink along side it.

Anyway the stewardess said I could have both but only one cup as I needed to be more environmentally conscious !

I found that annoying - I’m all for the environment but I was on a transatlantic flight and it’s not my fault if they serve plastic cups!
I'm with you. Usually I'm most certainly up for reusing my cup but surely they should be giving you water with alcohol anyway as flights can be dehydrating.

Just seems like silly stingy rules

Old 27 Sep 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

We are flying with them to Miami tomorrow so I will be interested to see if the service is up to scratch.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Kpzorse View Post
Just got back on Wednesday and I think myself and my husband have both decided we won't fly with Virgin again for some time.

We've flown with Virgin 4 out of 5 trips to Orlando now and this time we felt it all a bit lacking and were quite disappointed with it all.

First of all, on the flight out the staff we're all a bit haphazard, more interested in entertaining than helping.
Although I didn't want to be difficult, I asked for some hot water instead of tea and coffee and said I didn't mind waiting, but I never got any. I politely asked for some again a bit later and again they forgot. I finally got some about 6 hours in, right when we were experiencing some turbulence and had it spilt on my hand, so in the end asked if it could be taken away. Lucky I'd brought a bottle of water.
The movies kept being loudly interrupted by cabin crew announcing various birthdays and anniversaries.
No fab lollys, only a bag of skittles were given out. And no sweets for landing.
My seat front and tray were visibly dirty, and my husband had two pairs of headphones that didn't work.

On the way home, we didn't get the little pack we used to get (with the socks, little toothpaste, mask) I remember us getting a couple of years ago when we flew economy with them. Guessing these are now reserved for Premium Econ and above?
Again the staff were a little forgetful, not clearing away our row's trays at mealtimes etc, until we had to flag someone down and ask, only to be huffed at.

But the worst thing about the whole flight was the special meal I requested. I pre-requested a gluten free meal , and although I know the meals are always destined to be poor (and so brought some food of our own for the way out) it was breakfast on the way back that upset me the most, where I was given a pot of mandarins (which I had already had for 'pudding' with my evening meal) and a single gf bread roll, with no spread or jam or anything. I just felt like I was being sort of punished for requesting a different meal with no real care from virgin what meals they are putting together.

Sorry for the rant, but the entire thing just got me feeling really down on virgin as a whole. I think we'll try BA again next year, as although the prices seem to be a bit higher, I think you do generally get a better service and flight.

I don't know what it is about Virgin. We've flown with them in 2015, 2016 and 2018 and have only seen a decline in their standards through our trips. I feel like it was more a party plane on the way out than anything else. And although I know I probably sound really grumpy, ~I just want to sit and watch a movie and not have to sing happy birthday to someone four rows in front of me every half hour.
I had the same problem re meal esp the breakfast, I ordered vegetarian for both meals. Going out was ok. Coming back breakfast was a bowl of fruit and an orange juice, no carbs at all. Was starving.

We flew Virgin to JFL and Delta down to Tampa, much preferred Delta.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List