Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 19 Aug 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Crete - the raki diaries. Day 4 and 5

I have lumped these two days together as really nothing happened. We sunbathed, cooled down, went for dinner etc.
So breakfast was either early sitting or late sitting. What that actually means is turn up when you like and it’s fine.
We got up about 830, packed the beach bag, lotioned up and went for breakfast.
That sounds fairly straightforward, only my husband has very delicate skin, whilst mine is made of old leather. It takes him as long to cover every square mm of his body in ultrasun as it takes me to pack the bag, put my lotion on, tidy up, get my clothes ready for the evening etc, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I am fairly paranoid about skin cancer, but he takes it a step further. No one is allowed to touch him in the pool ‘in case it rubs off’.
Anyway, preparations complete and off to breakfast. It’s very well set up here. Guests are shown to a table and a selection of cold foods are brought along with the juice and hot beverage of your choice. There are fruits, crudités, cheeses, hams, yogurts, pastries, smoked salmon etc. Everything else is made fresh at a hot station where you wait socially distanced. There are eggs, bacon, mushrooms, waffles, pancakes, fries, everything you might want.

We ate more than our fill and went off to find a spot round the pool.
There was a lifeguard on duty. Heaven knows why as although the pool is massive, it’s only about 3 ft deep.
One plus point is that it’s heated. Rare for Greece.
An attendant bought us pool towels, all wrapped in plastic, and two bottles of water.

We spent the day alternating between the pool, sun bed and watching the world go by. The only thing that spoilt the peace was pool aerobics at 12. A very lithe and enthusiastic young lady encouraged about ten people ranging in age from about 5 to 75, to burn off their breakfast omelettes.
It was very windy today and there was a red flag on the beach. The waves were giant. It didn’t stop people from taking their boards into the foam, making the lifeguards use their whistles frequently.

I find the best time of day is around 5 o clock. The sun has lost its ferocity, people start to drift off to begin their evening preparations and it’s time for my snooze under the umbrella.
We left the pool about 6, quick shower and out in the car to the village of Sissi about 25 mins away.
It is off the main Heraklion highway, down windy roads. Suddenly the lights are bright and you drive down towards the waterfront where tavernas selling fish and traditional Greek food cling on above crashing waves.
The usual tzatziki and bread to start, wine for me and a small beer for driving DH. Main courses of lamb kleftiko and beef stifado followed. All delicious.
The bill was accompanied by fresh melon and raki. Most of the raki was down to me as DH couldn’t drink it. A quick wander round the town, then back in the car for the 25 min drive to the Amirandes.
Coffee and wine on our terrace overlooking the waves and it was time for bed.

The next morning was cloudless as usual. The wind seemed to have died a little and instead of a red flag on the beach, it was yellow.
The day followed its usual pattern with breakfast, sun lounger, pool etc.
DH had a few work calls and meetings and the day was broken up with a shared club sandwich and fries for lunch.
We went back to the room around six to pack up our cases again. Our holiday treat at the Amirandes was nearly over.
There was a bit of commotion on the terrace tonight when the room next to us had partaken of a little too much ouzo this afternoon. Their room had a private pool and it seemed the world water bombing championships were taking place. I think the Russians won.
Cases packed, we showered and set off for dinner to a village in the mountains called Mochos. It was about 25 minutes drive, unfortunately most of this was vertically up the mountainside. When we arrived it was a traditional village set around a square with a beautiful white church and a handful of vine covered tavernas. We picked one and ordered fried courgettes, chicken souvlaki for me and mixed grill for DH. The owner shook our hands and thanked us for coming to his village. He hoped we would come again when face masks weren’t required and times were different. It was lovely, traditional and just great to watch the world go by.

When we got back to the hotel, we arranged a late check out and took wine and coffee on the terrace.
Elounda tomorrow.
Old 19 Aug 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mochos looks rather pretty, we have had a lazy morning today too. We went to Elafonisi beach yesterday, it was gorgeous, then fought the traffic in Chania to the Venetian harbour for dinner on our way home.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Mochos was Mochos pretty!
What did you think of the roads to Elafonissi?
We didn’t make it to centre of Chania, but I’m seriously thinking of bringing the whole family next year and will go then.
Old 20 Aug 20, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

The road we went on was a bit long winded it took us just 3 hours ! But at least we had tarmac unlike the goat track to the villa the night we arrived 🙄😱
I wasnt overwhelmed by Chania , we went to Rethymon yesterday and that was much nicer, maybe we went to the wrong place.
On our way to Elounda for a boat trip and spinalonga now.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Ooh we will wave as you pass our hotel. We are at the Royal Marmin Bay.
Old 5 Sep 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a lovely and relaxing couple of days in beautiful surroundings!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List