Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Neighbours tree

We do get on with our neighbours but they can take offence because they don’t like to do jobs so I want to get my facts right before/if I speak to them.

They planted a tree about 10 years ago. It is planted right up against our shared fence and pretty close to both our properties. They don’t prune/shape the tree, its just been left so the branches which start at the bottom of the tree are really pushing against the shared fence. So much so, some branches are actually pushing through causing gaps in the fence.
If we encounter bad winds this winter the fence will end up pushed over into our garden.
The tree is also getting very tall and due to our position and where the suns goes up/down it casts a shade over all our patio.

I know that any over hanging branches can be cut back. But what about the fence & sun issue. Is it tough luck?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Is there such a thing as a shared fence? I think the deeds will show one party only.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Our neighbours ivy is causing our fence to bow but we have decided to leave it especially as the robins like to build a nest in it.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Our neighbours ivy is causing our fence to bow but we have decided to leave it especially as the robins like to build a nest in it.
If you leave it it will rot the fence panels so be careful. That happened to ours, had to replace it all.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

If I was you I’d mention it to the neighbours & say the fences are in danger of rotting & the branches are coming through & if they could please sort it out, failing that offer to go halves to pay to get it done, it’s only going to get worse
Good luck xxx
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
If you leave it it will rot the fence panels so be careful. That happened to ours, had to replace it all.
I'm would prefer to replace but don't want to ask them to chop their ivy. They are only the slide in panels so it's all pretty easy. In fact we have to do the one next to it which is why I was looking at it.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I have a rental property that had an enormous tree at the end of the garden. The neighbours who bought their house after I became the owner of the house and many many years after this 100 year old tree was that high complained about it to me several times because it took the light from their patio.

In the end at my expense i chopped the tree down, it actually makes my property better, lighter and the garden is better. They are now complaining that they lack privacy from the back, i suggested they grow their own tree!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I have a rental property that had an enormous tree at the end of the garden. The neighbours who bought their house after I became the owner of the house and many many years after this 100 year old tree was that high complained about it to me several times because it took the light from their patio.

In the end at my expense i chopped the tree down, it actually makes my property better, lighter and the garden is better. They are now complaining that they lack privacy from the back, i suggested they grow their own tree!
Def not your problem they gave no privacy especially if they complained about the tree in the first place! Tell the to plant laurels!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

On my estate as a rule of thumb, if you stand outside looking at the house, the fence on the right hand side is yours.
Old 20 Sep 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

You can chop anything that over hangs your side of the fence but should give them back.

There's no right to light so that's a hard one to argue. But if it's damaging the fence maybe point it out and offer to help remove to avoid the cost of a new fence at a later date.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List