Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Oct 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob1980
Earning More Ears

Large suv vs people carrier

Hi all just a quick question, we have booked a suburban for our holiday next year but my wife thinks it would be too big, there is 5 of us our 2 sons are 6ft. I know it ultimately comes down to people own preference but would you go for the large suv or a people carrier? Also if you have had a suburban/Tahoe/expedition before how have you found parking spaces and generally getting around out there?
Thanks in advance
Rob1980 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

We normally go for a Tahoe and have never had an issue parking the us spaces are a lot bigger than the ones we use over here. I love driving the big American SUVs so for me it’s part of the holiday it normally takes me about an hour to get used to the bigger car after that it’s easy. You’ll love it trust me
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob1980
Earning More Ears

When I started looking at the cars it was an SUV I wanted and am very happy with the suburban/expedition so am just trying to alleviate my wife’s worry really! Thanks for your reply I know once there it will be great
Rob1980 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said the parking spaces and driving lanes are much bigger over there so don’t let that deter you. My husband does most of the driving but I’ll give it a go on a few occasions and feel perfectly fine with it - even in the bigger SUV’s
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'd go with the suburban, I love the size of it and the height gives you a good view when driving.

We've had one the last few trips we've made and not experienced any problems parking it anywhere as all the parking spaces are big.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Large SUV every time over people carrier for me :
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

We had a Ford Expedition October 2019. Just for the four of us. We had to put the back seats down to fit the cases in but for the rest of the holiday we loved it. Not a parking space it wouldn't fit in, just had to be a little more careful at the malls parking wise, plus there was no load cover. Our girls loved the captains armchairs in the middle row. We have hired both the 7 seater People Mover and the Full Size SUV and would certainly go for the latter again. Some family were out at the same time as us and got the long wheel base version, they had no problems either.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JamesL
VIP Dibber

JamesL's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
We had a Ford Expedition October 2019. Just for the four of us. We had to put the back seats down to fit the cases in but for the rest of the holiday we loved it. Not a parking space it wouldn't fit in, just had to be a little more careful at the malls parking wise, plus there was no load cover. Our girls loved the captains armchairs in the middle row. We have hired both the 7 seater People Mover and the Full Size SUV and would certainly go for the latter again. Some family were out at the same time as us and got the long wheel base version, they had no problems either.
A very Disney answer.
Old 6 Oct 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

We've had both before. Both good options.

If both where around the same cost I'd definitely opt for the large SUV, as it's just better overall. Very comfy to drive for such a beast too.

It can seem a little daunting when you first climb in but the roads and parking spaces are gangantuan compared to our own and it's easier to park a large SUV over there than a family hatchback over here. It'll have rear parking cameras too as well as lane assist.

If the van is a fair bit cheaper then I'd opt for the van. Also a good choice and lots of room.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List