Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Jun 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

Check your VH Alamo booking

I booked the full holiday to Orlando with Virgin holidays, this included the flights, car hire and accommodation, as I have used them before I didn't really read through the car hire particulars ( I know before you say ).

Last week I upgraded to full size SUV and its only when I looked at the paperwork I noticed that the return time on the car hire was at 10:00hrs, bit daft really as we fly around 18:00hrs, don't really want to be spending 8hrs at the airport when there are better things to do.

Rang Virgin who said that the car hire price had now increased but as it was their mistake in the first place then they would cover the cost.

I don't want anyone to get caught out like I almost did, I'm now going to read through everything again to make sure that there are no more nasty surprises
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
R3D4
Getting Excited

I may be wrong here and wait to be corrected, but I think that the Alamo bookings will work in 24 hour blocks.

So if you collect your car at say, 5pm you have until 5pm to bring it back on the day of return before incurring an additional day's cost. There will likely be a "grace" period in that also.
R3D4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by youre-nicked View Post
I booked the full holiday to Orlando with Virgin holidays, this included the flights, car hire and accommodation, as I have used them before I didn't really read through the car hire particulars ( I know before you say ).

Last week I upgraded to full size SUV and its only when I looked at the paperwork I noticed that the return time on the car hire was at 10:00hrs, bit daft really as we fly around 18:00hrs, don't really want to be spending 8hrs at the airport when there are better things to do.

Rang Virgin who said that the car hire price had now increased but as it was their mistake in the first place then they would cover the cost.

I don't want anyone to get caught out like I almost did, I'm now going to read through everything again to make sure that there are no more nasty surprises
Good advice to always check everything, one thing to note car hire does allocate in 24 hour block periods so on the basis you have not rolled into the next 24 period as a rule of thumb you should be ok based on the collection time.

One other thing to add regarding your booking, as you may have a "flydrive", double check the included insurance as VH flydrives dont include the addtional insurance versus individual Virgin car hire with alamo do.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by R3D4 View Post
I may be wrong here and wait to be corrected, but I think that the Alamo bookings will work in 24 hour blocks.

So if you collect your car at say, 5pm you have until 5pm to bring it back on the day of return before incurring an additional day's cost. There will likely be a "grace" period in that also.
I've only ever booked Alamo through either Alamo Brits and Andy at DFCH but that's my experience. It's the time you drive through the barrier and return it that counts. Drive out at 16.00 hours bring it back by 15.59. As you say though Virgin give you a couple of hours grace with Alamo I think. If with others its 29 minutes grace then an hourly charge for a couple of hours then another full day charge.

There was a thread a couple of months ago where it was suggested that Virgin controlled what time you could pick a car up from Alamo but enough experienced Dibbers to suggest it was nonsense.

Mick
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Good advice to always check everything, one thing to note car hire does allocate in 24 hour block periods so on the basis you have not rolled into the next 24 period as a rule of thumb you should be ok based on the collection time.

One other thing to add regarding your booking, as you may have a "flydrive", double check the included insurance as VH flydrives dont include the addtional insurance versus individual Virgin car hire with alamo do.
As you rightly say I'd be checking that the car includes CDW with no excess and $1m SLI. Some package holidays only include the dangerously low state minimum SLI of $20k. Injure someone in a crash - hello bankruptcy

Mick
Old 18 Jun 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

I had always assumed it was a 24hr booking which was why I didn't really look into it that much, we are down to collect the car at 16:35 and then the return time was 10:00hrs, thats definitely not 24hrs
Old 18 Jun 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I had always assumed it was a 24hr booking which was why I didn't really look into it that much, we are down to collect the car at 16:35 and then the return time was 10:00hrs, thats definitely not 24hrs
How can they be that precise on collection time. It can take anything between 15 minutes and over 2 hours just to get though immigration alone. If you haven't done OLCI to skip the counter you could spend an hour being sold stuff you don't need at the terminal desk.

We've not done a package deal since we first went in 1990 so apologies if I don't know the procedure with VH. Do you have to go over to the Virgin desk on side A. Can't you simply do OLCI and straight over to the garage and pick a car?

If it happens to be 16.00 or 14.00 how can VH tell you when to pick it up? But as I say I've never used them.

Mick
Old 18 Jun 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

I've done the OLCI, the only issue was the potential argument when I returned the car as Alamo would have tried to charge me for the extra time I had it.
Old 18 Jun 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I've done the OLCI, the only issue was the potential argument when I returned the car as Alamo would have tried to charge me for the extra time I had it.

They certainly shouldn't on the basis that you've booked the car to embrace the flight hours. Make sure that you get a printed receipt when you return the car with ZERO balance - unless of course you've added fuel service at the barrier when that will show as a charge.

My theory is that outbound UK flights invariably become the return plane. Assuming a 2 hour turn round I reckon that you should always return the car earlier in the day than you picked it up on the basis that you get back 3 hours before the flight as they recommend.

But as I said earlier (ignoring the grace period) - leave the barrier at 16.00 get it back for 15.59, leave the barrier at 18.00 get it back for 17.59.

Mick

Edited at 03:49 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I've only ever booked Alamo through either Alamo Brits and Andy at DFCH but that's my experience. It's the time you drive through the barrier and return it that counts. Drive out at 16.00 hours bring it back by 15.59. As you say though Virgin give you a couple of hours grace with Alamo I think. If with others its 29 minutes grace then an hourly charge for a couple of hours then another full day charge.

There was a thread a couple of months ago where it was suggested that Virgin controlled what time you could pick a car up from Alamo but enough experienced Dibbers to suggest it was nonsense.

Mick
This is how I have always had it, time you take the car is the time you return it, I have never even bothered to look what the paper work said regarding return as I always return around same time I left the garage.