Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jun 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mum2two
Excited about Disney

How do you save up?

Planning a 2021 trip - I am:
- saving loose change & £2 coins
- collecting Avios on a credit card
- collecting Tesco points which I can use for airport parking and hotel
- Quidco cash back

What other things do you do to help save for Disney?
mum2two is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklepants
slightly serious Dibber

sparklepants's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Just bought one of the massive savings tins, we’ll put notes, £2 and £1 in there. I also have a savings account that takes a fixed amount e every month.
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Challenge all the annual rises in costs such as home insurance, car insurance, broadband etc. They always reduce it.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

I moved our mortgage to fixed rate & changed our home insurance. We bought DVC with the savings!

I use Quidco, savings tins/accounts, reduce household bills, save Avios, discount codes etc
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Down brand on shopping. Either Asda own or even better shop at Aldi. Weekly saving goes into another account
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We transfer a set amount each month into a ring fenced holiday account. We treat holidays as essential expenditure 😀
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumofthree
slightly serious Dibber

A tip I learnt on here was when you get your weekly shop and pay by card get £10 cash back and pop it into a savings tin, you don't really notice the £10 on a weekly shop.
Mumofthree is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

There is a savings plan where you start by saving 1p on day one, 2p on day 2 and increase by 1p each day until the last day of the year you save £3.65. You end up with £667 apparently although my maths isn't that great that I can work it out!
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
We transfer a set amount each month into a ring fenced holiday account. We treat holidays as essential expenditure 😀
Ditto. We did this for over 40 years. When our salaries increased, the fund was increased by the same percentage. Retired now, so we just use the kids’ inheritance money. 😂
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I work out how much I need for the month (direct debits, food, petrol and a bit of spending money) and the rest goes into my savings account as soon as my pension is paid. I can get to it If I have an unexpected bill or extravagant spend but I’m strict with myself.

Every so often I look around the house for a few things to sell on EBAY., maybe make about £150 a year. Every Sunday I empty most coins from my purse and every couple of months pay into my bank account. Last week I paid in £22.

I know these amounts are small but they add up.

I save Avios points too. I have an AMEX/BA credit card which I use for most spending to get Avios points. My Tesco points are converted to Avios points. I use the points to get a couple of hundred pounds off my BA flights, pay for my Gatwick hotel etc.

I only started comparing prices for insurance, power etc a few months ago and I’m shocked at how much I’ve been able to save on just a couple. I need to do the rest now.

I use coupons & loyalty cards to save a couple of quid here and there.

Every little helps !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List