Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Aug 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Thinking about a shirt road trip

Just back from Orlando again but after 6 times and my dd now being 14 we are thinking about making a California road trip.

We did one about 17 years ago and went to lots of places like San Fran, Las Vegas, San Diego, LA ... and had a fab time but a lot of time was spent on the road.

Thinking about doing a small road trip to include SAN Francisco, some wine valley and Yosemite that we never did and a beach. I don’t want to be driving around every day so maybe only changing base 3 times over the 2 weeks.

Any suggestions of one you may have done for 2 weeks?

Thanks
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like sticking to north California would suit you.

Some time in San Francisco and then in the Nappa Valley. I would then head across to Yosemite for the national park.

1 more stop than you were thinking, but from there I would head across and stay in Carmel on the beach near Monterrey before flying back.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

The one caveat is that the Northern California beaches won’t be hot, lay out in the sun beaches. In summer the tend to be foggy and chilly until the afternoon. Carmel beach is beautiful and they allow fires at night which is fun. Santa Cruz is more of a seaside town in the English sense as is Pismo Beach. Anything further south might be pushing it distance wise for what you want but the further south the better the weather.

There’s wine a region near Santa Barbara (Santa Ynez Valley), Paso Robles bear San Luis Obispo and also up along Highway 49 betweeen Yosemite and Sacramento. Just thinking out loud but would one of them work out better for a trip with a 17 year old. We spent 2 days in Napa and I’m not sure how much enjoyment a 17 year old would get because as a non drinker I found it rough going. Most wineries were over 21 and the ones that weren’t didn’t have anything to drink that wasn’t wine or water.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
The one caveat is that the Northern California beaches won’t be hot, lay out in the sun beaches. In summer the tend to be foggy and chilly until the afternoon. Carmel beach is beautiful and they allow fires at night which is fun. Santa Cruz is more of a seaside town in the English sense as is Pismo Beach. Anything further south might be pushing it distance wise for what you want but the further south the better the weather.

There’s wine a region near Santa Barbara (Santa Ynez Valley), Paso Robles bear San Luis Obispo and also up along Highway 49 betweeen Yosemite and Sacramento. Just thinking out loud but would one of them work out better for a trip with a 17 year old. We spent 2 days in Napa and I’m not sure how much enjoyment a 17 year old would get because as a non drinker I found it rough going. Most wineries were over 21 and the ones that weren’t didn’t have anything to drink that wasn’t wine or water.
I think you may be right a winery on the way to Yosemite May be better as our dd is 14 and probably won’t be that interested. I’m 45 and not that interested either (although I like to drink wine) but I have to indulge the hubby as he’s been coming to Orlando all these years when probably not his bag.

Thanks for all the infos
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List