Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Aug 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lindyT
Apprentice Imagineer

We loved the Potomac short (2/4) hour cruise. Highlight was two helicopters flying low overhead of us. Some American fellow passengers all began waving calling "Hi George!" (few years ago!). They explained to us that the President always travels with a decoy Helicopter! So two together meant he was in one of them! Aside from the amazing usual tourist sights we loved strolling,eating,shopping in Georgetown, the Duck tour boats, and wouldn't have missed Arlington for anything. You will love it i'm sure. Linda
lindyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

We got the train down from NYC a couple of years ago so had no car, and didn't need it.
We found Washington really easy to get around (I'm in a wheelchair) and did all the usual tourist things, as well as getting the metro across to Arlington. Thee are loads of museums which are free, and as said before, it was lovely to just amble around.
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Thanks for all the tips as were there for 7 days were not getting a car until the last few ( it will give us a little freedom) I’m so looking forward to it.
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Washington is my favourite city to visit. I must have been about a dozen times and each time it just gets better. I have never had a car when in the city so cant really advise there but the metro is superb, cheap and safe to get around on. Nearly all the Smithsonian museums are within the National Mall and are free to visit. The Mall itself is a beautiful walk from the Capitol Building right down to Lincoln Memorial. Arlington is across the bridge from Lincoln memorial and easily walkable from the centre too.
Just off the Mall is the Holocaust Museum which I would say is a must do. Its is so moving and thought provoking.
The Metro will take you to King Street which is top end of Old Town Alexandria. Its lovely for a wander and has some fab restaurants and bars. We ate at Hard times Chilli and also an Irish bar that i forget the name of but it has a brilliant happy 3 hours and Irish Spring rolls which are amazing. You can get a water taxi from there to National Harbor which has lots of fun things to do including an eye ride to go round on and there screen outdoor movies in summer. We watched Peter pan on evening with a picnic on a fake lawn!
Final tip from me is to take a metro to Navy Yard when the Washington Nationals are playing. We went down one afternoon with the intention of watching from a nearby hotel that has an amazing roof terrace that overlooks the stadium. We walked to the box office and asked for the cheapest tickets and they sell on the day ones for $5 so we bought one each and went in. We had a great day for not a huge amount of money although to be fair I am not a huge baseball fan. We stayed until a little past half way and then left but for $5 we had a blast.
Goodness that just scratches the surface of an amazing city. For a regular mall and a great range of food and restaurants or a cinema there is Tysons Corner and again the metro will take you there far quicker than driving. Driving in the city is what i imagine driving in London to be like. There is absolutely loads to keep you entertained and I am really jealous. You will have an amazing time!
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
Washington is my favourite city to visit. I must have been about a dozen times and each time it just gets better. I have never had a car when in the city so cant really advise there but the metro is superb, cheap and safe to get around on. Nearly all the Smithsonian museums are within the National Mall and are free to visit. The Mall itself is a beautiful walk from the Capitol Building right down to Lincoln Memorial. Arlington is across the bridge from Lincoln memorial and easily walkable from the centre too.
Just off the Mall is the Holocaust Museum which I would say is a must do. Its is so moving and thought provoking.
The Metro will take you to King Street which is top end of Old Town Alexandria. Its lovely for a wander and has some fab restaurants and bars. We ate at Hard times Chilli and also an Irish bar that i forget the name of but it has a brilliant happy 3 hours and Irish Spring rolls which are amazing. You can get a water taxi from there to National Harbor which has lots of fun things to do including an eye ride to go round on and there screen outdoor movies in summer. We watched Peter pan on evening with a picnic on a fake lawn!
Final tip from me is to take a metro to Navy Yard when the Washington Nationals are playing. We went down one afternoon with the intention of watching from a nearby hotel that has an amazing roof terrace that overlooks the stadium. We walked to the box office and asked for the cheapest tickets and they sell on the day ones for $5 so we bought one each and went in. We had a great day for not a huge amount of money although to be fair I am not a huge baseball fan. We stayed until a little past half way and then left but for $5 we had a blast.
Goodness that just scratches the surface of an amazing city. For a regular mall and a great range of food and restaurants or a cinema there is Tysons Corner and again the metro will take you there far quicker than driving. Driving in the city is what i imagine driving in London to be like. There is absolutely loads to keep you entertained and I am really jealous. You will have an amazing time!
Thank you some great tips there
Old 21 Aug 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I would try to avoid a car in Dc. Parking is outrageous and driving is "urban.' It is easy to get around on your feet or my public transportation.

All the Smithsonian Museums are free and well worth visiting. If you have kids the Air and Space Museum and Natural History Museum are worth a day each. My kids always enjoyed the Holocause MUseum .

There are a few places that are harder to get into or charge. The Bureau of Engraving is a good place as is the Newseum (fee).

Go to the Smithsonian website and check out the options.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Thanks the plan with the car was to go a little further afield I live in London so I’m used to getting stuck in traffic. I can cancel the car up till the day before we pick it up so will see how we feel once there. Thanks for all the tips Washington is a city I’ve always wanted to visit.
Old 21 Aug 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
One of the favourite parts of our Washington holiday was a bus trip out to Mount Vernon to see George Washington's home. It was great and well worth it.
Old 22 Aug 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
TheDales
Getting Excited

Loved washington Dc.
We stayed at the Loews Maddison on 15th Street, walked everywhere apart from when we visited the lagrer Air and Space Muesem (The Udvar-Hazy Center), for this we took the metro and a bus. well worth the trip and all very easy to get to, along with all the other exhibits they have a Lockheed SR-17 Blackbird and The Space Shuttle Discovery.
Did all the normal atrractions along the Mall, small Air and Space, Lincoln Memorial, Arlington, etc.
We also liked our visit to The Ford Theatre, the site of President Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. If you're at all interested in history well worth a visit.
TheDales is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TheDales View Post
Loved washington Dc.
We stayed at the Loews Maddison on 15th Street, walked everywhere apart from when we visited the lagrer Air and Space Muesem (The Udvar-Hazy Center), for this we took the metro and a bus. well worth the trip and all very easy to get to, along with all the other exhibits they have a Lockheed SR-17 Blackbird and The Space Shuttle Discovery.
Did all the normal atrractions along the Mall, small Air and Space, Lincoln Memorial, Arlington, etc.
We also liked our visit to The Ford Theatre, the site of President Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. If you're at all interested in history well worth a visit.
I went to see my favourite novel turned into a play (To Kill a Mockingbird) at the Ford Theatre. It was great