Notices

Old 10 Nov 17, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

The almost Disney but ended up in Dubai pre trip report. April 2018

Hi All

I'll start with introductions quickly and then get on it with,

Me - The holiday planner, organiser and researcher of everything. Recently back to work now my youngest is at full time school. Lover of Disney and any holiday in general.

A - The money earner and car buyer. Works hard to fund us. Lets me choose all holidays as long as he gets to chose the cars!

J - Will be almost 7 when we go. Sensitive soul, loves swimming, Legoland and anything Star Wars and Marvel.

A - Will be almost 5 when we go. Wild child, lover of Barbie, Dolls and Barnstormer! Of all rides, she loves Barnstormer...

How the holiday came about
This May we spent 15 nights onsite at Disney. Had the most amazing holiday and all wanted to go back. Kids have 2 extra days holiday tagged onto next Mays break so as soon as we got back this year, started pricing up for 10 nights next May. Got a great price staying at Bahama Bay but something didn't sit right. I also worried about 10 nights not being long enough and the kids having to go straight back to school the day after we flew home.

I started looking at other alternatives for those May dates but nothing was coming up at the same cost. Then started looking at April dates for the Easter holidays. Disney at Easter is obviously super busy so we decided against it and some how ended up pricing up Dubai.

Dubai had never been on our list of 'places to visit' however we did visit back in October 2015 as my brother in law lived out there. So our only reason for booking was to see him with the kids and have a bit of quality family time. Once we got there we absolutely loved it (despite my youngest coming out in chicken pox whilst we were there and having to fly home 2 days later than planned)

We said after that holiday we would happily go back and there are quite a few new things since we visited.

We booked through Expedia as they had an amazing deal staying at JA Ocean View that no travel agent could match (two actually told me to get off the phone and go and book it as they have never heard of it being that cheap) so I did as I was told and booked 13 nights, flying with Virgin.

Holiday details
We have an over night flight at the beginning of April and land approx 8am Dubai time and have a mid afternoon flight home 13 nights later. We are staying at the JA Ocean View hotel which is in Dubai Marina (an area we really liked last time) We previously stayed at City Premier Hotel near Business Bay and had a 2 bed suite which was bigger than our first flat at home!

The Marina is more expensive so we have sacrificed the hotel space for location but are happy with our choice. We have breakfast included and are a few minutes walk from the beach and surrounded by restaurants.

There are certain things we did in Dubai last time that we won't be repeating e.g. Burj Kalifa, Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo and Aquaventure waterpark and plenty of new things we will be doing.

Here is our rough itinerary so far

Tuesday - Arrive early morning. Go straight to hotel, store luggage and hang out at the pool until check in. Cheesecake Factory for dinner! woohoo

Wednesday - Either day at the beach or take hotel transfer bus to sister hotel to spend the day at their pool and beach. Evening at Global Village as it closes for the season a couple of days later.

Thursday - Wild Wadi Waterpark tickets booked through Expedia (12.5% cashback)

Friday - Dubai Weekend so will spend it on the Beach and maybe head to Dubai Mall in the evening and see the fountains and have some dinner

Saturday - Dubai Weekend - Superhero Bruch at Mezina (to be booked)

Sunday - Kidzania at Dubai Mall

Monday - Legoland Theme park

Tuesday - Beach day

Wednesday - Abu dhabi for Ferrari World - A's only request for the holiday

Thursday - Legoland Water park

Friday - Dubai Weekend - Friday Brunch somewhere

Saturday - Dubai Weekend - day at our pool and beach or the sister
hotel.

Sunday - Fly home this afternoon

Things still to do
Book Ferrari World tickets
Book both weekend brunches

Have already booked Heathrow airport parking through Quidco
Not pre booking Legland tickets as have Merlin passes and that gets us 50% off gate price.

Not the most exciting pre trippie but thanks for reading.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We have been twice and love it there! April is a great time as it not so hot but hot enough!

We have done Wild n Wadi - great fun! Do get there for opening as it can get busy!

Global Village was odd! You can read about it in my trippy!

Have fun!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for reading. We normally aim for opening, Thanks for the tip. Ok have a look at your trippie, would you not recommend Global Village?
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Aliloo
Getting Excited

I've been to Dubai a few times and stayed at Jebel Ali Ocean View in August having stayed on the Palm in the past. I loved the freedom of being able to walk out in an evening...
Aliloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katnav View Post
Thanks for reading. We normally aim for opening, Thanks for the tip. Ok have a look at your trippie, would you not recommend Global Village?
I think if you go with an open mind that it is no EPCOT it can be a fun trip - but basically it is just lots of stalls with often the same stuff!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

My youngest loves Ferrari world! If you can, on the same day you visit there, see if you can do a tour of the Yas Marina circuit if your little loves cars. We stayed at the Yas Viceroy in Abu Dhabi, so was fully submerged in cars and absolutely loved it and cannot wait to go back! You'll have a wonderful time in Dubai. You May want to go to Motiongate when you visit Legoland (think a ridiculously quiet universal studios and not as big) but it's nice, new and clean. Your little ones may like smurf village
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 18, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
donna252
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We also visiting over easter and have similar plans! If u want a Disney fix Disney on ice is on in Dubai at the beginning of April!weve booked tickets as I still need a bit of Disney in a none Disney holiday 😊
AoA/RPROct 2014, New York Aug 2015, SSR/Cabana Bay/RPR/Poly March 2016, DLP June 2016, Las Vegas March 2017, DLP July 2017, Vero beach/Yacht Club Oct 2017, DLP March 2018, Dubai April 2018, New York Dec 2018, DLP July 2019, Lapland Dec 2019, Dubai Aug 2022, Disney Magic Sept 2022, Dubai Oct 2022, RPR/AKL/Coronado springs/Contemporary April 2022
donna252 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Donna. Now Christmas is out the way, Can't wait for Dubai. Thanks for the Disney tip, We actually went to Disney on ice on the 27th Dec at the O2 arena. Where are you staying?
Old 5 Jan 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Just booked today for DD and I to go for our first visit in March.
Old 13 Jan 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
donna252
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by katnav View Post
Hi Donna. Now Christmas is out the way, Can't wait for Dubai. Thanks for the Disney tip, We actually went to Disney on ice on the 27th Dec at the O2 arena. Where are you staying?
We staying at lapita at the Dubai resorts and parks for 4 nights, a few days with family then in Ras al khaimah at the Hilton for our second week - but have a few day trips into dubai planned. Seems to be coming round quickly now will be here before we know it!
AoA/RPROct 2014, New York Aug 2015, SSR/Cabana Bay/RPR/Poly March 2016, DLP June 2016, Las Vegas March 2017, DLP July 2017, Vero beach/Yacht Club Oct 2017, DLP March 2018, Dubai April 2018, New York Dec 2018, DLP July 2019, Lapland Dec 2019, Dubai Aug 2022, Disney Magic Sept 2022, Dubai Oct 2022, RPR/AKL/Coronado springs/Contemporary April 2022
donna252 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List