Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 14 Jun 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Laptop Screen resolutions

I’m in the market for a new laptop, I previously had a Microsoft Surface Book but replaced it with a MacBook Pro due to issues with the hinge meaning the screen wobbled whenever the keyboard was touched. The MBP is fine but Apple seem to be taking OSX on a path very similar to iOS plus the bootcamp Support doesn’t seem to be as good as it used to be especially with apples new APFS file system preventing easy file sharing across the two os’s.

Anyway, I’m looking for a 2-in-1 and have it narrowed down to either a Lenovo x1 yoga, Lenovo x930 or the HP Spectre x360. All 3 are a similar price but, i’m struggling to decide if I want a Full HD screen or if I should upgrade to a 4K or QHD screen (on the spectre or x1 respectively)

The laptop will be used primarily for my masters work (which over the next 9 months will include a lot of questionnaires/interviewing hence the desire for the 2-in-1) and will be “docked” by TB3 to my Samsung ultrawide monitor which also gives me the option to get a TB3 eGPU to use it for some less demanding gaming.

The problem I’m having is that the Lenovo isn’t available in a physical store and no one near me has the 4K spectre to try instore so I’m struggling to make an informed decision!
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

been a fan of high res screens for forever (my dell from 15+ years ago was 1900x1200), but i'm not sure 4k is really worth it on a laptop screen. but 1920x1080 should be the minimum you should go for. to me, QHD (2560x1440) is a decent enough compromise between the two

i've got a 27" 4k monitor and a 27" QHD one on my desktop, and i mostly use the QHD one as my main display...

i'm a big fan of the lenovos, (although i currently have the L480 and hate it)... the x1 or x280 would probably be my choice if i were to buy one now
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
shauney
Imagineer

My Dell has a QHD+ (3200 x 1800) screen. It's lovely but I do run in to scaling issues sometimes.
shauney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

You dont need 4K on a laptop.
What is way more important is the quality and you can only judge this by seeing it (or from a review you believe).
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

I'm a huge fan of the lenovos (and I sadly have to agree with you on the macos front

Ive had high res screens before and great on mac but rubbish on windows. Windows IS getting better with high dpi but still, scaling is a huge issue on some apps.

so no I dont think you need 4k either and if anything, it'll be worse than a lower res one

but yeah, hard when you can't see it in person.

FWIW I went from a macbook pro to a lenovo x1 extreme. Very conventional laptop really but absolutely great. amazing keyboard, ports are there unlike the mac etc
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
I'm a huge fan of the lenovos (and I sadly have to agree with you on the macos front

Ive had high res screens before and great on mac but rubbish on windows. Windows IS getting better with high dpi but still, scaling is a huge issue on some apps.

so no I dont think you need 4k either and if anything, it'll be worse than a lower res one

but yeah, hard when you can't see it in person.

FWIW I went from a macbook pro to a lenovo x1 extreme. Very conventional laptop really but absolutely great. amazing keyboard, ports are there unlike the mac etc
If it wasn't for the want of a 2-in-1 I would have just bought an x1 carbon but the stylus and notepad mode will aid greatly with my masters dissertation while interviewing!
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
If it wasn't for the want of a 2-in-1 I would have just bought an x1 carbon but the stylus and notepad mode will aid greatly with my masters dissertation while interviewing!
yeah I have an x1 carbon ready for ebay.. I wanted the larger screen of the x1 extreme.

the carbon is brilliant though, so small and light yet 14" screen

Stylus mode is nice though... I have a surface book 2 from work and that's a full on proper laptop but the screen comes off and makes a nice tablet
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

How do you find the surface book hinge? My surface book became unusable when the hinge started to fail
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
How do you find the surface book hinge? My surface book became unusable when the hinge started to fail
when I saw it for the first time I thought eurgh and I still think it's a dodgy looking design BUT I've had zero problems with it. In fact the "wonderful" security people at manchester managed to drop it twice and once the keyboard disconnected from the screen and I felt sure it was broken but nope. attached just fine and been perfect since.

As windows laptops go, trackpad great, very quick, very quiet, nice screen ratio and works as a nice fast tablet when needbe as well
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I loved mine, great but of kit but when the hinge failed the screen would detach monetarily at random. It went off for repair, was replaced and was still just as bad!