Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Aug 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

P & O Mini cruise... update page 2

Hi everyone, just a quick question re mini cruises.
Next year we are celebrating a few big birthdays, my 50th, my mum's 80th and DS's 18th so we are looking for ways to celebrate as they are all within a 3 week period round March/April.
So I had an idea about a mini cruise, say 2 or 3 nights and I've seen that P & O do one in April from Southampton to Guernsey. Has anyone been on one of these sort of things and if so what did you think?
My mum and dad love cruising, DH is not so keen but as mum and dad aren't very mobile, I thought it might suit us all, rather than a weekend in York or something like that which may involve lots of walking around.
Any info is much appreciated, thanks

Edited at 06:42 PM.
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
It sounds like a great idea to me.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I think it's a great idea!

We enjoy cruising and have been on several mini cruises from Southampton including P&O to Bruges (Winter so Christmas markets were lovely) and RCI to Guernsey (end May few years ago - really lucky with warm weather so used pools and spa etc but the tender boats to Guernsey struggled on the return as water was choppy whereas it was calm when we went ashore). If your mum and dad aren't very mobile just bear that in mind if they use tenders on your trip. On a long weekend I'd be happy to stay onboard and just enjoy the ship.

Lovely food, great company, lots to celebrate and something onboard to keep everyone happy.
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Silly question, but I've thought about doing this in the past but wasn't sure if they used the proper cruise ships with all the lovely restaurants, facilities and entertainment, or if they're cross channel style ferries with cabins and limited facilities?

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Silly question, but I've thought about doing this in the past but wasn't sure if they used the proper cruise ships with all the lovely restaurants, facilities and entertainment, or if they're cross channel style ferries with cabins and limited facilities?
From what I've seen they are the normal cruise ships, I think it's the Ventura that is for this Guernsey trip. They only seem to do a few a year and maybe that's why, because they are used for longer trips throughout the year. I have also seen more ferry type trips, which are obviously cheaper but choppy water early on in the season would bother me slightly.
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
They tend to be taster cruises on normal cruise lines, sometimes the newest and biggest in the fleet with all the bells and whilstles and can be great value. This is for the ones that sail from Southampton not the ones that you might sometimes see from say Newcastle to Amsterdam.
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

The Overnight ones from Hull to Rotterdam and Bruges are more like ferries with cabins.
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the comments Spoke to mum about it this afternoon and she is really excited about it so I'll see her tomorrow and have a look online then hopefully book something this week. DH not quite so keen but there's plenty of time to talk him round x
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Sounds like a lovely idea but just be aware the ships frequently can't dock at Guernsey if it is windy. We've managed to dock 1 out of 3 mini cruises. That's not a problem if the itinerary isn't important or you don't mind being at sea. In contrast we've always docked on the mini cruises to Belgium. The short cruises are good fun but they are much more akin to a booze cruise than longer trips
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Mobile

We did the mini cruise to Guernsey on P&O Ventura and loved it , lots of very good entertainment .Its not always possible to get of at Guernsey because its a tendered port and the sea around there can be rough
We have been on several cruises , and I had heard these mini cruises referred to as ' booze cruises ' but we didnt notice any over the top behaviour.I would do one again
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List