Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Aug 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
I don't agree with them selling these queue jumping passes ... they charge enough for the entry tickets.
Reminds me of Alton Towers years ago when the Air ride opened, you paid entry and then they wanted £5 each for fast passes, said I would never go again and I haven't.
Beginning to regret spending £3K on tickets for the Disney & Universal parks next year now.
I assume you don’t agree with PE or extra legroom seats, different sizes of cars or hotels of different classes as well? It’s all down to people having options.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
Hate the fact that parks charge extra for express passes. They forget that we have all already paid extortionate prices to get in to. If all express passes, fast passes etc didn’t exist, then we’d all queue much less longer grrrrrrrrrr!
Consider that if they didn't exist, you'd end up paying even more for very little extra benefit. In any case, if you consider the ticket prices extortionate, why do you pay for them?

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I stayed in Aventura at first so got early entry but no Express Pass, then Hard Rock so got Express Pass.
I enjoyed it very much, but it isn't a Disney was my view.
Universal Studios- absolutely no need for Express Pass if going in early. However, the put everything in lockers and if you have a bigger bag it's $2 a time, was taking the Michael. The H&S there has become mental, with metal detectors to ride coasters etc. I've ridden coasters all over including of course at Disney, Hershey, numerous Six Flags, Dollywood, all over the UK and I've never encountered this locker and metal detector situation. It put me off going back a bit. Added to this the tiny locker rooms at Gringots and the one under the castle with no real staff, no direction, charging $2 at Gringots per large locker (talk about fleecing the customer) it again put me off a bit.
As to Fastpass I had it and didn't. The problem with Islands of adventure is thousands are turning up to ride Hagrid, and it's up then down like a fiddler's elbow. This is impacting badly on the rest of the park. None Express Pass holders get really badly treated on queues in Universal in my view when its busy. How can an alleged 15 minute advertised standard queue turn into over an hours wait simply because they let mostly Express on?
When I had the Express Pass I personally felt quite guilty, as I was a 'have' wondering past the forlorn faces of the 'have nots'. This may give some a smug sense of pleasure, but it made me and the kids very uncomfortable. To get Express Pass you have to generally pay £300+ a night for a room in summer- way beyond what the average person can afford, unless they load it all on credit cards.
At least Disney don't charge anyone (yet) and it will seriously spoil it for me if they start doing so, as is rumoured. I'm hoping the hit to the parks division's profits makes Disney pause for breath on that one and maybe consider there's only so much nickel and diming anyone will take.

Edited at 11:11 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
I assume you don’t agree with PE or extra legroom seats, different sizes of cars or hotels of different classes as well? It’s all down to people having options.
If you buy a Rolls, you don't get priority on the road.
If you book a suite at a hotel, that has zero impact on the person in the standard room.
If you buy premium economy you are paying for more space and premium service. You may get to board and disembark quicker, but this has very nominal impact on cattle class customers.
Conversely, if you don't buy Express Pass, your queue time can be very significantly impacted, and your enjoyment of the park and what you can do, severely diminished.

Edited at 11:17 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
If you book a suite at a hotel, that has zero impact on the person in the standard room.
Actually, it does. It means the standard room is smaller than the suite. If the hotel didn't have suites, it could make the standard rooms bigger and still accommodate the same number of people.

If you buy premium economy you are paying for more space and premium service. You may get to board and disembark quicker, but this has very nominal impact on cattle class customers.
Again, it does affect those in economy. As you say, they get to board and disembark last. But, as above, by adding PE it means there is less room in standard economy. If they got rid of PE then either they could increase the size of economy seats slightly or put more economy seats in - which would reduce the cost to each person.

Conversely, if you don't buy Express Pass, your queue time can be very significantly impacted, and your enjoyment of the park and what you can do, severely diminished.
I agree that the Express passes have more of a direct impact than some of the examples you used. The impact is proportional to the number of Express passes issued - therefore significant impact is due to Universal issuing too many Express passes, not that the Express pass system exists in the first place.

Still, it's a common practice to offer an upgrade that, in turn, impacts the standard option - eg. paying to book seats on a plane in advance. It is unfair - but it's designed to be unfair.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

When I had the Express Pass I personally felt quite guilty, as I was a 'have' wondering past the forlorn faces of the 'have nots'. This may give some a smug sense of pleasure, but it made me and the kids very uncomfortable. To get Express Pass you have to generally pay £300+ a night for a room in summer- way beyond what the average person can afford, unless they load it all on credit cards.
At least Disney don't charge anyone (yet) and it will seriously spoil it for me if they start doing so, as is rumoured. I'm hoping the hit to the parks division's profits makes Disney pause for breath on that one and maybe consider there's only so much nickel and diming anyone will take.
But Disney DO charge you for fastpasses - at least the good ones. It's just built into the price. In my experience, for a Disney hotel of equivalent quality to a Universal or heaven forbid I-drive hotel they add at least a few hundred pounds on - more than enough to pay for 1 night/2 days of EP through a night at a Universal hotel.

I looked at swapping a week at RPR for a week onsite at WDW for my upcoming trip before I booked, the only thing at Disney I could get for similar prices to RPR for 7 days was Port Orleans - and as fine as that is it's not on the same level in my book, I'd compare it to Cabana bay which is significantly cheaper. To get something like Yacht Club which is around the same quality as an EP hotel at Universal it's a very large increase in price.

Everything is an opinion - you say EP are unfair and overpriced, I say the FP+ system at Disney is equally unfair in forcing you to pay more for a worse quality of hotel than elsewhere to get those fastpasses for Pandora or the upcoming star wars (Staying onsite will be almost mandatory for that I imagine.) Such is life, the main differences between the two are where the value is. For us Universal is more of a valuable upgrade than a Disney onsite - the EP's are better, and the hotels are cheaper. If we used something like free dining more, maybe Disney's version of an upgraded trip would be more suitable but it isn't. What neither option is, is fair.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 01:23 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List