Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Aug 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Quick question, how do you know when the BA sale is coming up?
Early September, I think!
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Thanks everyone!

I’m the only driver, too, so can’t share the journey back...but the train involves one change at Brum, crossing London and then getting the Gatwick express, but it may be doable!

I’ll start to document alternatives and factor in the cost of train plus hotel or diesel, parking plus hotel!

Exciting!
Im not using the Gatwick Express, but am not crossing London as such, I will be travelling via Euston, but am going just one tube stop to Kings Cross St Pancras, and then catching a Thameslink Service from St Pancras to Gatwick. Saves having to go across to Victoria if arriving in Euston

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinythepanda
Getting Excited

Mobile

We live in the midlands and generally fly from Gatwick as we always find the Virgin flight from there so much cheaper than Manchester. We drive down the night before and stay at the premier inn at the terminal and drop the car off at meet and greet. We normally try to plan to land home on a Saturday and Sunday and generally find the traffic really quiet.
Tinythepanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in Warrington so it’s 4-5 hrs for us. We did the drive this year and I have booked again for next year. The savings for us are worth it.
Even though we are 20 min from Manchester we always stay over anyway.
Drive down was fine even though we got stuck in quite a bit of traffic. Mainly accidents.

Coming back I slept quite well on the plane so drove home although I was fully prepared to get a day room if needed.
Even though it rained constantly it only took about 4hrs inc stops.

I dropped dh and the bags off, then parked up at the long stay and did twilight check in. Premier inn north was great and so was security and the airport in general the next day. On the return bags were off quickly and bus waiting to take us to the car park. Take note Manchester.

Our flights this year were £1350 inc car lgw-fll and next year £1598 lgw-Mco inc car. Both for kids school hols, we wouldn’t get those kind of prices from Manchester. Not direct anyway.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by teachx View Post
Im not using the Gatwick Express, but am not crossing London as such, I will be travelling via Euston, but am going just one tube stop to Kings Cross St Pancras, and then catching a Thameslink Service from St Pancras to Gatwick. Saves having to go across to Victoria if arriving in Euston
Or you can just walk from Euston to St Pancras. If you use the Midland Road entrance to St Pancras, you are right by the Thameslink, and it avoids carrying luggage up and down stairs at both Euston Square and Kings Cross underground (unless you’re planning to use the Northern Line for that, which I wouldn’t). Walking could well be quicker, I would walk unless it was pouring with rain.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Or you can just walk from Euston to St Pancras. If you use the Midland Road entrance to St Pancras, you are right by the Thameslink, and it avoids carrying luggage up and down stairs at both Euston Square and Kings Cross underground (unless you’re planning to use the Northern Line for that, which I wouldn’t). Walking could well be quicker, I would walk unless it was pouring with rain.
Thanks for this

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

We got a dirt cheap fly drive man-Lhr-LGw- Mco wished we had come down the night before as it was a very long day travelling
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracey2019
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Im flying from either edinburgh or glasgow the night before i fly from gatwick
Tracey2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
I was thinking of waking and if pouring with rain maybe a quick Uber.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

We live just outside North Birmingham and have flown from LGW with BA before, and TUI from Birmingham. The TUI trip was obviously a lot easier but this year we are back at Gatwick with Virgin as it means we have flexibility with how long we go for (TUI are 7, 14 or 21 nights only) and get good flight times so we’re the first UK flight into MCO that day. We looked at Manchester but the flights were over £150pp more and would still involve a drive and hotel stay (albeit an hour less drive) but with not so good flight times, so Gatwick won this time. If we went for exactly 14 nights again or wanted a package we would go with TUI from Birmingham but that just wasn’t our plan this year.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List