Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Aug 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Parking fine/ Log Book Problem

Hi,

Not sure where to start with this saga but I could really use some advice as I have no idea how to deal with this situation.😭

Basically, I bought a new (used) car in April and part exchanged my old one. Whilst at the garage I asked about sending the log book for my old car to the DVLA and was told by the salesman that the garage send it. I thought that didn’t sound right but didn’t question it as I wrongly assumed they would know better than me.

A few months later I received a parking fine for that car. I contacted the garage and they said they had sent the log book (DVLA said they hadn’t) and asked me to send them the parking fine so they could pay it. I followed this up with a further call and they assured me it had been paid and a copy of the log book sent to the DVLA.

I’ve had another demand for payment today so it clearly hasn’t been paid and I don’t know what to do. Should I just pay it? I’m furious though as if the garage hadn’t lied to me about paying it I would have paid it sooner when it was £35. I also don’t understand how someone can be driving around in my old car when they don’t own it? The tax is still being taken from my account.

I appreciate that I’m at fault here (and it will be a lesson learned for the future) but I trusted that the garage knew better. The garage won’t answer my calls or respond to messages which is making me even more annoyed. I’ve passed the time to appeal as I was on holiday and trusted that it had been paid when the garage said it had. I’ve no idea what to do next or how to move forward with this. It feels really unfair that I should have to pay the fine but will I have to just suck it up? I’m also really annoyed at the garage. Does anyone have any advice please?

2008 - POR, 2010 - OKW & HRH, 2012 - OKW & HRH, 2013 - SSR, 2014 - OKW & HRH, 2015 - SSR, YCR & PBH, 2016 - OKW & Disney Dream, 2017 - OKW & PBH, 2018 - AKL
sparks1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Is it a parking fine as issued by a Council or police or a parking charge as issued by a parking company?
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

You notify the DVLA that you have sold it to the motor trade. That could be done on line or by sending the V5c portion off. Not a responsibility you can pass to the dealer. Unfortunately they have played you to their advantage.

I assume you have an invoice from the garage when buying the car which clearly states you have traded in another vehicle and the number plate of it.

You should have appealed the fine with the parking company stating you were not the legal owner of the vehicle at the time of the offence. You should not really have gone to the garage at all on this.

Provided you have the evidence, contact the parking company and prove you were not the registered owner at the time and DVLA records were not correct. They can then go and chase the garage if they wish to. Its not your responsibility provided you have evidence the ownership transferred.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Dandy2604
Earning My Ears

We had exactly the same issue nearly 5 years ago. We part exchanged our old car with a dealer who said they would send the logbook in. About 2 months later we received a parking fine from Leeds council including a picture of our car parked illegally. Even though we provided names, address, dates, times and proof of purchase for new car, because the garage had not sent in the logbook, we were liable. The garage was not contactable and had closed down. Leeds council agreed for us to pay a reduced rate due to the situation, and we agreed as we did not want it to come back and bite us in the future.
Dandy2604 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your replies. I was so annoyed with the whole situation I think I got myself into a state and couldn’t see the wood for the trees. Thanks for the advice. I’ll get on with the things suggested ASAP. I think the fine was from a private company -PCP? - but not 100 percent sure if they are definitely a private company.
sparks1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I would write to the fine company saying the car was sold to Dealer X on such and such a date.

I don't trust dealers so make sure they do the notification online as I am sat with them. You get an E Mail from DVLA immediately.

If they don't have that link on their computers I rip off the bit of the V5 and post it myself even though they volunteer to do it. They never do!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparks1 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I was so annoyed with the whole situation I think I got myself into a state and couldn’t see the wood for the trees. Thanks for the advice. I’ll get on with the things suggested ASAP. I think the fine was from a private company -PCP? - but not 100 percent sure if they are definitely a private company.
If it was PCP it is not a fine - it is a penalty charge ie a request for payment in respect of a breach of contract. Write to them explaining the circumstances. They will probably reject your submission as it’s their default. However, they are unlikely to take the matter to court imo because of the ‘doubt’ of ownership. The ‘log book’ is not proof of ownership only who is the registered keeper. The assumption is you don’t live in Scotland where the law is different.

Edited at 04:31 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

If the garage is still open can you just go down there and refuse to leave until they sort of for you?
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
If the garage is still open can you just go down there and refuse to leave until they sort of for you?
I was considering that earlier but it’s about a five hour drive from me and I wasn’t sure if they would even do anything. I’m more annoyed that they won’t answer the phone to me. It seems there’s nothing they can do anyway. I’m also really frustrated with the whole log book thing. I don’t understand why he didn’t just let me send it off when I asked about it! Thank you all for calming me down though!

2008 - POR, 2010 - OKW & HRH, 2012 - OKW & HRH, 2013 - SSR, 2014 - OKW & HRH, 2015 - SSR, YCR & PBH, 2016 - OKW & Disney Dream, 2017 - OKW & PBH, 2018 - AKL
Old 24 Aug 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
If it was PCP it is not a fine - it is a penalty charge ie a request for payment in respect of a breach of contract. Write to them explaining the circumstances. They will probably reject your submission as it’s their default. However, they are unlikely to take the matter to court imo because of the ‘doubt’ of ownership. The ‘log book’ is not proof of ownership only who is the registered keeper. The assumption is you don’t live in Scotland where the law is different.
Thank you for your reply. In the letter I received today they threatened me with debt collectors and bad credit etc. It’s really panicked me😩.