Notices

Old 25 Apr 15, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Mobile

We are just back - had a BRILLIANT time 😊
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
We are just back - had a BRILLIANT time 😊
Tell us all about it - are you doing a trip report?

Really glad you had a good time
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 15, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Tell us all about it - are you doing a trip report?

Really glad you had a good time
I'm not doing a TR but happy to answer any questions or give help or advice 😊
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 15, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Mobile

Just re read the thread and noticed the tip about the toll road pass...
Long story short but we needed to switch out our car in Houston (we originally hired it in Atlanta). The car we got in Texas had a Toll Pass on the windscreen which could be switched on or off so you would just pay through the rental company. (Does that make sense? !) Your car might be like that... 😊
Old 1 May 15, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
I'm not doing a TR but happy to answer any questions or give help or advice 😊
Ooh, sure we'll have loads! What was your route?
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 15, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Ooh, sure we'll have loads! What was your route?
We flew into and out of Atlanta after researching loads of Texan airports and airports around. Our original plan was to spend the last week in Florida and fly home from there but with the cost of dropping the hire car in a different state and the different flights, we decided against that. I actually wish we had done it though.. I personally found almost 4 weeks of packing and unpacking pretty tedious by the end!

We flew into Atlanta and on the first night drove up to Commerce so we could go to the outlets there the next day (can't believe DH agreed! ) but it was fun!
Then we went to Chattanooga TN for 2 nights before moving on to Nashville. We stayed in Nashville for 2 nights before heading up to St Louis (where we stayed for 3 nights).
After St Louis, we headed to Memphis for 2 nights (this was my favourite place I think, I wish we had stayed here longer) We headed from Memphis to Arkansas where we stopped for a night, then made the long drive down to Austin, from Austin we went to San Antonio (Stayed here 4 nights) then on to New Orleans via Baton Rouge. Our last 3 nights we hadn't planned but we decided then we wanted out of a city as NOLA was pretty sketchy - I was delighted to leave although it was an experience being there! We found a condo on Lake Martin in Alabama and just relaxed there for the last few days before flying home from Atlanta...
I've been back at work for 4 days now... sad times...!
Old 1 May 15, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip. What did you do in Austin & San Antonio?
Old 1 May 15, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

It was a great trip... Just wish I was still there!

In Austin we stayed near the outlets so we could go there (sensing a theme in our lives...! ? ! ) and we hung out at our hotel on the first night - the kids went to the pool then we went to TJI Fridays (I am GF and they have amazing gluten free burger and buns there! ). The second day we went to Zilker Park and went on kayaks and did some Stand Up Paddling... zilkerpark/zilker-park-am...k-boat-rental/

Then onto Barton Springs zilkerpark/zilker-park-am...prings-pool-2/

We went along to Congress Ave and had a look at all the funky street vendors etc...
tripadvisor/Attract...tin_Texas.html

At night we ate at Mighty Fine Burgers which is apparently something Austin is very proud of. It was ok - not amazing...!

That's all we managed in Austin

In San Antonio we were there for a bit longer but we had a gorgeous house to stay in too so we were in no hurry to get out every day!
We went to the River Walk and did a River Boat ride - I highly recommend this - really really informative - one of my fave trips of the holiday although I think the captain was one of the good ones - there are lots of different boats and when we went back the next day for a walk we could hear some of them and they sounded rubbish!
We also went to the Alamo (couldn't not really! ). We went to the Mall just so DD could get a Hollister jacket as she managed to lose hers!
We also went to a Shooting Range (may be a bit controversial on here...) It was called Nardis Gun Club. It was a good experience but I actually wouldn't recommend it. The people were pretty rude and I would rather spend my $$ elsewhere.
We went to Six Flags too - we had gotten a great deal on the tickets and could use them in any of the States we visited which had a Six Flags.
On the Sunday we found a funky church which had great music and mood lighting during the service. A great experience.
That was it - the weather was very humid and thundery whilst we were here so we were pretty fortunate to get to go on the River I think.

What are you planning there?
Old 1 May 15, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Thanks for the info - we haven't got many plans so far, apart from Bat Watching and maybe Chicken #### Bingo in Austin and the Alamo in San Antonio. The boat trip sounds good - the Riverwalk area looks lovely.

Thanks for the tip about the gun range. We went shooting in Vegas last year and really enjoyed it, so we've been thinking about trying to fit in a range trip this year, but might give that particular one a miss. It's something we can't do here and we like trying new things when we're on holiday.

Did you go to any bars in Austin? We were hoping to catch some live music but are wondering what the situation is with taking kids in. I wonder if there's a general policy or if it varies from bar to bar. Unfortunately the Broken Spoke is shut on the days we are there.
Old 1 May 15, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Woohoo! Final hotel is now booked in Austin - we had to wait until now to book it as they only take bookings 3 months in advance but we really liked the look of it and it was a good price.

Holiday spreadsheet updated and another thing ticked off the "to do list".