Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 29 Feb 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Dining at Universal on site

So, I've just been made redundant. Some friends have suggested I use that to cancel our holiday, but as I'd paid for more than half of it and have worked out a way that we can still go, I've decided we (me and my 2 children) need something to look forward to.

BUT we won't have as much spending money as we would have done (working on - worst case - that I don't walk into a job in the next couple of months). We'll be OK, and I'm not planning on going completely into picnic lunch mode, but I am trying to plan effectively.

We'll be staying at RPR for 2 nights and then Surfside for 2 nights. I'm guessing it's going to be easier to eat at Citywalk while we're at RPR (but happy to be corrected!).

We've got 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 3 dinners 'unplanned' so far. I've factored in places like Moe's Southwest Grill; Bread Box and Red Oven Pizza bakery as well as, possibly, Hot Dog Hall of Fame.

We're happy not to do 'expensive' sit downs (although definitely happy to get recommendations for good food at reasonable prices)

While we're at Surfside (2 evenings and a breakfast - maybe 2) we could easily walk to somewhere on I-drive for more affordable food - looks like IHOP is nearby.

Are there any solid recommendations you have, please? Any suggestions for keeping costs reasonable? Is it worth getting an Uber to any really lovely places to eat at this end of town/along I-drive (I've heard Applebees isn't as good as it used to be).

I'm considering getting a park refillable cup for the 3 of us to share (we love Icees but can never drink a whole one in one go!), so we stay hydrated.

After this, we're moving to Disney for 6 nights where we have DDP (have planned for tips); then getting a car and moving to a villa for a week (planned for fuel; parking and more offsite eating).

Many thanks!
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

We had a meal in RPR Islands Dining Room(Pan Asian) when we stayed.Excellent and reasonably price.Sure menu and prices available online

We did Bubba Gumps at City Walk one night which was nothing more than okay
JayPR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
A good spot for cheap but decent enough food at City Walk is Panda Express. Might not be a dinner option for you if you are planning sit downs but handy for an inexpensive lunch.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

I second Panda Express - it’s a good option. For lunch in the park, Mel’s is decent but we usually come out of the park and share something like the nachos at margaritaville which are HUGE and can easily be shared by you all plus maybe one other side for lunch. The starters at NBC grill are also good to share for lunch.

When you are at surfside, you could walk to Giordano’s for pizza. We got the bus to surfside and walked there in October, it was a great meal. There’s photos in the second half of the beauty and the feast report in my signature (photos of NBC are in there too, and the margaritaville nachos in the 2018 report).

Good luck with your redundancy situation. I’m sure you’ll find something in no time.
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Vivo on citywalk is nice Italian restaurant reasonable prices
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
Thanks; added Panda Express to the list and will look at sharing items from other places (we all love nachos! )

Giordano’s was also on my list, but had no idea it was so close!
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We were pleasantly surprised by the pool side food at rpr. Good portions for the price and we all enjoyed it. The market place is limited and I felt expensive for what you got.
Ihop is directly across a large wide road form the Endless summer resort. Easy walking distance if you can get across that road- we had a good breakfast there

Edited at 05:31 PM.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I found the prices at Toothsome quite reasonable.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Definitely Panda Express, love it, and really reasonable. We tend to do quick service if we are on a budget, because a) you dont feel the need to buy a drink as you would in a sit down restaurant (we fill up our mug before we leave the park! ) and b) there’s no tipping involved, so it’s 20% cheaper already. Our panda expresss was usually under $20 for us both, whereas if we had gone to a restaurant we would have at least doubled that.

I believe that Chili’s isn’t far from Surfside and they have some great offers on.

I’m at Surfside and also Aventura this year, and I think we will probably get the bus to Surfside from Aventura and then eat on idrive.

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
Brilliant, hadn’t thought about Chilis (or taking a drink out of the park to a quick service! ); great tips!

Will definitely consider the pool food (always assumed it would be expensive) and look up Toothsome!

Thank you all!
DLP DCR - 2009

Edited at 05:46 PM.