Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have been using Hive for years now and not had any real issues with thermostat, plugs or lights. I haven't tried any of the other smart thermostats from other companies.

I have had Hive at my last house and the house I'm currently in. I use the Smart Thermostat for heating and Water, I have several hive lights and plugs.

I like the Hive app as it allows me to change schedules or manually override whenever I wish. There is even a heating boost where it will boost the heating by a couple of degrees for a short length of time that you can set.

I also have it connected with Amazon Alexa so I can tell Hive via Alexa to boost heating for 1 hour, etc. The plugs and lights can all be grouped or set individually. At Christmas I have tree lights, decorations and outside lights grouped and can just ask alexa to switch on Christmas

I haven't tried the hive motion sensors yet, you can use these to alert you if movement detected or to switch other hive devices on/off when movement detected.

I also find Hive customer service to be excellent. Having moved to my new home recently, I installed Hive but my account was still trying to access my old thermostat at the other house. My fault for not removing it from my account before moving. A quick call to customer services and they removed it for me and then spent the next ten minutes testing everything out with me to make sure I was happy.
That’s a good point as hoping to move into our new house in November so will need to change over .
Did you leave your old hive thermostat there and buy a new one ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
That’s a good point as hoping to move into our new house in November so will need to change over .
Did you leave your old hive thermostat there and buy a new one ?
Yes I left the thermostat there. I was going to take it with me but my old house only had a single receiver (Heating) new house needed dual receiver (Heating + Hot Water).

I took my Hub with me and set the thermostat at the old house to 'Stand Alone Mode'. I then told the new owners that they would need to purchase a hub if they wanted full smart control.
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Yes I left the thermostat there. I was going to take it with me but my old house only had a single receiver (Heating) new house needed dual receiver (Heating + Hot Water).

I took my Hub with me and set the thermostat at the old house to 'Stand Alone Mode'. I then told the new owners that they would need to purchase a hub if they wanted full smart control.
Well done on that. So many people move and think nothing of the new owner and they move in and then find themselves struggling.

Seen it so often with things apart from Smart controls. Even basics like burglar alarm codes etc etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Great ,thanks .
We were going to leave it anyway but I hadn’t really though much of it until your post .
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Great ,thanks .
We were going to leave it anyway but I hadn’t really though much of it until your post .
Just take the hub with you as that is associated with you online account so can't really leave that.

You need to put the thermostat in to 'stand alone' mode so that it still works like a conventional programmable thermostat. Then remove the device from your account, that's the bit I forgot and couldn't remove it when I got to new house as hub couldn't communicate with it

When buying new Hive thermostat/receiver, shop around, I found prices varied quite a bit between different sellers.
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Just take the hub with you as that is associated with you online account so can't really leave that.

You need to put the thermostat in to 'stand alone' mode so that it still works like a conventional programmable thermostat. Then remove the device from your account, that's the bit I forgot and couldn't remove it when I got to new house as hub couldn't communicate with it

When buying new Hive thermostat/receiver, shop around, I found prices varied quite a bit between different sellers.
Brilliant , thanks
Old 14 Sep 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Could that not be more to do with your WiFi than the actual plugs ?
No it isn't my wi-fi. If you do a search on here I've posted a few replies detailing my Hive experience over the last few years. (I think you can do that.)
I've had Hive since the beginning when it was free.
Started with just the heating, then added lights and cameras, as they came out.
A few of my neighbours have it now as well.
It's just so easy to set up and use.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Another one with hive. I did have some issues when I had it connected to a BT homehub but that was due to a known bug in their routers that is still not fixed and causes by Apple devices on the network.

Since I moved it all to my own openwrt based router behind it I have had no issues at all.

I control it all from a Home Assist smart home system which brings together all of the different system I have and gives me the capability to do far more than the hive or near can do on their own.

Next up is going to be to automate the blinds around the house.

Edited at 10:48 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List