Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 May 19, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

DD did her food and nutrition practical back in February, has Spanish speaking today, and the remaining 20 or so written exams start on Tuesday.

Best of luck to everyone in surviving the next month or so... it’s going to be a long one. Best of luck too to all your children. See you at the other side 😁
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Magicsky
Trying for More Ears

DS had Maths yesterday and he has 18 more to go up until June 11th. We are in South Wales. Good luck to all of them sitting this Summer. He's focused on getting through it and heading 'home' mid July. I'm sure I didn't sit that many papers back in my day (1996! ).😀😀😀😀😘😘🐻🐻
Magicsky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
JDT2019
Trying for More Ears

DS starts next week (although has had German speaking last week). The timetable seems pretty full with exams most days up to half term, he doesn't go on study leave until half term either, which I thought strange.

He seems calm ATM, fingers crossed it stays that way, he did say the other day, he best do well, as he never revised so hard, I am so hoping he does too, but if not, I know he has put the effort in.His treat is 16th Birthday at Disney!

I have had to change my Annual leave as I had booked 4 weeks off starting a few days before we fly to Disney for our first ever visit (excited is an understatment!) to then find out results day was the day I went back to work, I couldn't bring myself to ask for another day off, so have moved it all right by 1 day.

Good luck to all the teens who have exams, and look forward to hearing about their results. And of course good luck to the parents who hold it all together xx
JDT2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by americangal View Post
I’ve got year 6 sats and GCSEs starting on Monday... I’m going to be in a lot of wine next week.

My eldest hasn’t revised enough for GCSEs so I’ve decided he’s old enough and come August he can’t turn back time if it goes belly up. Although his mocks have come out ok with lack of revision. His only weak area is English and he’s been having a tutor for a few weeks now so has no option but to keep doing practice papers

The youngest is a perfectionist and has already made himself ill doing all the practice sats, he’s getting almost full marks in them so I’ve told him he can chill as he will do excellent and I wouldn’t know if anyone that got all the questions right and that he will do amazingly anyway.

Roll on 14 June when it’s all over
Bless you, you ARE entitled to a lot of wine! You're right, we can't make them study, they have to find their own motivation and way, they all get there eventually

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
My daughter starts on Monday as she is doing RE. She had her Spanish speaking last week and was extremely pleased with the way it went.

She seems to be quite relaxed at the minute, things might change come Sunday night
Fingers crossed she manages to keep hold of that calm

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I’ve got twins doing exactly the same subjects so potential for lots of rivalry but luckily they are seeing it as an opportunity to have a built in revision buddy.
They are fairly calm but I’m panicking as art coursework and exam prep has taken up so much time. We blasted it over the weekend though so it’s now all done, 10 hour art exam was last week so now to focus totally on other subjects.

They have 23 exams each starting next Monday and finishing on the 14th June.

I’m between jobs at the moment, though I am doing supply work and seem to have been nominated as revision organiser. Found lots of good resources and keep trying to keep them on track.
I’m doing lots of baking to provide snacks, stops me stressing too much!
Good luck to all the teens and parents, I’ll be so glad when it’s over!
Amen to that, very much looking forward to it being over, the build up to this seems to have lasted forever! That's nice though them doing it all together

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
DD has French speaking tomorrow and has already done the performance parts of Music and Dance. She is not at all stressed, which I am pleased about in some respects as a lot of her friends (and their parents!) are putting themselves under unbearable pressure, but I do think a bit of adrenaline stress can help sometimes. She has done her revision and will do her best, which is all anybody can ask for. I will be glad when it is all over. She is my youngest, so I'll never have to go through it again.
This is the bottom line, it's such a shame there's so much build up to them, I don't remember any of this when I was doing - *ahem, old person alert* - my O levels!

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
My son has hardly done any either aside from after school and I am sick of nagging so now it’s down to him . He did fairly well in mocks without revision so feels he will be fine which was the exact thing I didn’t want to happen.
Some don't need to, many get through them with doing very little, they're all different though, fingers crossed he's one who just retains it all better and doesn't need to do too much.

Originally Posted by scottiedogz View Post
We discovered Mathsgenie website today and they do predicted papers for Maths - higher and foundation if it is of any use to anyone. My daughter is working through the revision guides on the website as well and found them very helpful.

Her reward for doing the best she can in these GCSEs is a trip to Miami on the 16th June
Nice incentive We're away also once they're over, should do them the world of good after all this build up.

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
My poor DD had to sit one part of art on her own as she had a big Cricket match,

OP i’m Fine thanks for asking lol DD is fine, little and often is our plan and ever extra lesson school offer
It's so horrible to watch them under so much pressure, people forget about us poor parents! Good luck to her and you x

Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post
DD did her food and nutrition practical back in February, has Spanish speaking today, and the remaining 20 or so written exams start on Tuesday.

Best of luck to everyone in surviving the next month or so... it’s going to be a long one. Best of luck too to all your children. See you at the other side 😁
We can keep each other grounded on here, the end is in sight!

Originally Posted by Magicsky View Post
DS had Maths yesterday and he has 18 more to go up until June 11th. We are in South Wales. Good luck to all of them sitting this Summer. He's focused on getting through it and heading 'home' mid July. I'm sure I didn't sit that many papers back in my day (1996! ).😀😀😀😀😘😘🐻🐻
Nowhere near, I'm sure I sat 7 O levels, we took 5 options, plus Maths & English! I don't really understand how they end up sitting so many!

Good luck to everyone, it's stressful watching your child under this kind of pressure and we just want the best for them, they'll all find their way regardless of the outcome of GCSEs, and if they go onto further education the GCSEs become irrelevant as each further one takes precedence on the CV! Not all kids are academic either which is absolutely no slur on their ability or intelligence, my son is very intelligent, but has absolutely zero interest in academia, he'd rather be moving around and his future plans (commercial diver in the Navy) reflect that, I'm actually really shocked at how much he's buckled down and studied in the run up to GCSEs. There's a place for everyone in this world.

Good luck all the parents also, we'll keep each other sane

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JDT2019 View Post
DS starts next week (although has had German speaking last week). The timetable seems pretty full with exams most days up to half term, he doesn't go on study leave until half term either, which I thought strange.

He seems calm ATM, fingers crossed it stays that way, he did say the other day, he best do well, as he never revised so hard, I am so hoping he does too, but if not, I know he has put the effort in.His treat is 16th Birthday at Disney!

I have had to change my Annual leave as I had booked 4 weeks off starting a few days before we fly to Disney for our first ever visit (excited is an understatment!) to then find out results day was the day I went back to work, I couldn't bring myself to ask for another day off, so have moved it all right by 1 day.

Good luck to all the teens who have exams, and look forward to hearing about their results. And of course good luck to the parents who hold it all together xx
My DD got her GCSE results when we were in Florida, I have such fond memories of that day now. Good luck to your DS and have an amazing stress free holiday

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Herbster
Helping Minnie

My DS has already sat his RE GCSE in Yr 10 (Catholic School), also sat his 10 hour Art GCSE & also completed his performance part of Drama. Only 15 more to go starting next week 😬😬 he’s in a good place, on track to get the grades he needs for 6th form place, can’t ask any more of him, were extremely proud of how much time, effort & hard work he has put in. 😊😊
Herbster is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Herbster View Post
My DS has already sat his RE GCSE in Yr 10 (Catholic School), also sat his 10 hour Art GCSE & also completed his performance part of Drama. Only 15 more to go starting next week 😬😬 he’s in a good place, on track to get the grades he needs for 6th form place, can’t ask any more of him, were extremely proud of how much time, effort & hard work he has put in. 😊😊
Ah good luck to him

Old 8 May 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Hello fellow GCSE parents

Dd has done her Spanish and French oral exams last week and all the Drama practicals last term. Her 29 written exams start next week.

DS A Levels start the week after.

I wish they’d both done more work but I’ve done everything I can think of to encourage them. My concern is Dd who tends to worry will realise she should have done more after the first written exam so it will be a case if keeping her calm and focused. As long as she gets what she needs to do the A Levels she has chosen then all will be fine.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hopefulholiday View Post
Hello fellow GCSE parents

Dd has done her Spanish and French oral exams last week and all the Drama practicals last term. Her 29 written exams start next week.

DS A Levels start the week after.

I wish they’d both done more work but I’ve done everything I can think of to encourage them. My concern is Dd who tends to worry will realise she should have done more after the first written exam so it will be a case if keeping her calm and focused. As long as she gets what she needs to do the A Levels she has chosen then all will be fine.
Best of luck to her, there's only so much they can do in the end

Old 8 May 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

My DD is doing her GCSEs as well this year. She has already done two Food and Nutrition practicals earlier this year and her German speaking last week. RS is her first exam next week.

She's been attending the school revision classes when she can and has been revising. I tell her that only she knows if she is revising enough. When she opens her results the last thing she wants to feel is disappointed because she could have done better with more revision. She is always anxious over exams so I'm going to get her some Bach's Rescue Remedy as it seemed to help her with her SATs.

My DS is in Year 9 and is currently doing his end of year exams. He has done absolutely no revision whatsoever despite my nagging, but knowing him he will do well. He never worries about exams and most of the time it comes naturally to him. Its so unfair on my DD who tries so hard.

Good luck everyone
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List