Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Dec 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Spoiled Children...

Honest answers please...

Do you ever think your children are spoiled. My husband and I have realised our two are a pair of spoiled brats!

They have such a sense of entitlement, want the best of everything, asking for money all the time, want days out or friends round and are never happy to entertain themselves, never a please or thank you or lifting a hand to help around the house.

I know it’s our own fault we are stuck in a rut but how do we get out of this. The boys are 8 and 13 both do great at school and the eldest has been having issues with bullying at school but their attitude towards us is appalling and if we say no all hell breaks loose!

Would greatly appreciate any advice Dibbers!
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
babywebb
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I could have wrote this myself just today we were saying how spoilt are twins are (8) , they want everything and one of them will do riverdance in the middle of shops if she doesn’t get her own way , our older three boys are not like this at all , I’m following the replies for solutions 😃
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

We spoiled our children but they have never been brats. Every time we bought the children something no matter how cheap or expensive we always told the children how many hours we had to work for it, they grew up realising we had to work hard to provide them with nice things so have gone into adulthood working out how many hours they have to work for things
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
Honest answers please...

Do you ever think your children are spoiled. My husband and I have realised our two are a pair of spoiled brats!

They have such a sense of entitlement, want the best of everything, asking for money all the time, want days out or friends round and are never happy to entertain themselves, never a please or thank you or lifting a hand to help around the house.

I know it’s our own fault we are stuck in a rut but how do we get out of this. The boys are 8 and 13 both do great at school and the eldest has been having issues with bullying at school but their attitude towards us is appalling and if we say no all hell breaks loose!

Would greatly appreciate any advice Dibbers!
Don’t spoil them then? It is not their fault if they are spoiled.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Honestly my advice is let Hell break loose and don’t back down . They will soon learn the hard way. Good luck x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Do they get pocket money? If not then it might be worth starting. If they want things enough they can then spend their own money on it.
RachaelC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BlueMacaw
Trading Disney Pins

Do they say please and thank you to other people? Because that is the first thing I would address, even very small children can say please and thank you and sadly I think these words seem to be missing with a lot of children these days.

Also as another poster says, let all hell break loose and don’t back down. No should mean no, if they know that you’ll back down then you’ll be seen as a push over.

Personally I’d also punish them if they did create a scene over not getting their own way, they aren’t young children and they should no not to throw tantrums when they don’t get what they want, I’d remove devices or ground them until they get the message.

Sadly the world is quite materialistic nowadays, as a society so many people want the best of the best and an entitled generation is on the rise.
BlueMacaw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve had a bratty day from our two. My daughter screamed at us for twenty minutes to wipe her bottom. She’s 8 she can do it. I just ignored her, she eventually did it. She then hit me twice when out shoppjng and ran away. She does have autism and I’m finding it hard to distinguish what’s ASD and what’s just being naughty. Then our son was so rude to his dad. Really rude and shouted. He is only 6.

I’ve got to toughen up I think. Not give in as much.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Don't fall into the trap of buying them things to make them (and you) feel better. Children need time and emotional support rather than material things. Not easy bringing kids up i know. Our three are mid twenties to early thirties, and didn't have the same pressure of the internet and technology.

I do remember DD having a friend who's dad would often give her £20 to go shopping age eleven or so, whereas my DD may have had a fiver max!
They've all grown up to be great well balanced adults who are also our best friends.

Edited at 08:15 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I think other people would think my children are spoilt. They get nice gifts at Christmas/birthdays and nice holidays and we spend a lot each month on the eldest going to football. However, they do seem to genuinely appreciate the things they receive. For example, eldest rarely asks for anything as he knows his football costs a lot. We did have issues with eldest a couple of years ago in terms of behaviour and it was a tough few months but we stuck by consequences and luckily he seems to have outgrown that phase. The only thing I wish for in terms of their behaviour is that they got on with each other better. They just cannot be in the same room as each other and that annoys me as I spend a lot of time being referee!
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List