Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 22 Dec 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Universal- club room at RP or standard at PB

So I’ve been looking even more at rooms at RP, and I’ve finally decided I can overlook those wall decals

So I still much prefer the aesthetic of Portofino Bay but I could be in a club room at Royal Pacific for about £100 more then I can be at a standard room at Portofino. It kinda seems like a no brainer I suppose to go club at Royal Pacific then, but I’m still differing.

Obviously club is only as good as how much you use it and we already have some plans to go to off site restaurants for breakfast some days, and we have a day at discovery cove as well, so there’s already days we won’t be using it so much.

And there will almost definitely be days we won’t be back for dinner because we are at the parks late and miss it, so the free alcohol at that time of day isn’t the biggest draw, I’d be surprised if we managed to make it there even twice for that.

And of course I would prefer the aesthetics of PB. But then again food is more of a tangible benefit then aesthetics.

I’ve seen online that RP club food isn’t as great as PB’s but we are not stretching for club at PB, that’s just a bit too far for us, so our options are standard at PB or club at RP.

I’m pulling all my pricing from my workplaces discounted rooms for employees- I work at a travel agency- so not sure how much they are apart normally.

We will be staying 8 nights and will have just done dining plan at Disney for 6 nights so will already have had a lot of food at that point

One thing swaying me is the luxury of a club room, it’s not something I would have been able to afford a year ago but now with my employee discount and a recent promotion I can, and the thought is pretty tempting. It’s always been something I wanted to experience at least once.

What would you guys do?

Edited at 11:46 PM.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
steel1203
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I have stayed at both hotels and personally prefer RPR. Can I check how many are in your party as the club room at RPR is great to use as another room to chill in, especially when teenagers are showering/getting ready for going out. I always stay club level and getting water/snacks etc is a good perk.
steel1203 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by steel1203 View Post
I have stayed at both hotels and personally prefer RPR. Can I check how many are in your party as the club room at RPR is great to use as another room to chill in, especially when teenagers are showering/getting ready for going out. I always stay club level and getting water/snacks etc is a good perk.
Just the two of us, and I imagine we will be together most of the time but I suppose it would be nice to have the option for one of us to go to breakfast whilst waiting for the other one to be ready in the morning- I’m assuming the club lounge is on the same floor as the rooms? Or at least close by?

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by steel1203 View Post
One of the things I keep thinking about is bottled water for the parks and then I’m like ‘that shouldn’t be your biggest draw! Imagine how much water you could get for £100’ But I can see how it’s convenient!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
Old 23 Dec 19, 01:09 AM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

We have stayed club at both and they are each lovely but the Portofino was our favourite. It’s visually stunning and expansive- rooms are huge and the dining options are much nicer in our opinion; we had hot breakfast options at the PBH in club but don’t remember having the same options at the RPH. Having said that, RPH had a more chilled out vibe and I would say much more geared towards families. The Portofino felt more grown up and fancier! To be honest, you shouldn't be disappointed with either of them but I would choose PBH.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post

We are a couple and I ruled out RPR club level because I did not think I would get the value out of it. Maybe we would have had breakfast there some days but otherwise I couldn't see how or when we would use it and certainly not for the extra £60 above a regular room for two people.

However I definitely prefer RPR to PB for the location and much easier walking to the parks. It really was a bit too far to walk there and back every day from PB in the heat and humidity and when already walking so much ever day.

So I think I wouldn't do either of your options, I would book a regular room at RPR. I don't think the club rooms are typically better rooms that other rooms, they usually just have club access. I am not applying this to RPR in particular, maybe they do upgrade the rooms, but I have stayed in club level a number of times elsewhere and the room was "normal".
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Is it £100 for the 8 nights or per night?

£100 for 8 nights then go for rpr, we’ve done a week club level there and really enjoyed it and we are booked there for the summer, club level for a week again.

Just to say, Claudette is right the rooms in club level are no different to any of the other rooms.

If £100 per night and you are already thinking you won’t use it then stick with portofino.

I really like all 3 of the top universal hotels. I normally go for the cheapest unless I want a change. When we booked club level for a week last time it was cheaper than a week at HRH for a standard room so a no brainier even just for breakfast. I also enjoyed the wine and cheese and biscuits😂

Edited at 11:35 AM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Is it £100 for the 8 nights or per night?

£100 for 8 nights then go for rpr, we’ve done a week club level there and really enjoyed it and we are booked there for the summer, club level for a week again.

Just to say, Claudette is right the rooms in club level are no different to any of the other rooms.

If £100 per night and you are already thinking you won’t use it then stick with portofino.

I really like all 3 of the top universal hotels. I normally go for the cheapest unless I want a change. When we booked club level for a week last time it was cheaper than a week at HRH for a standard room so a no brainier even just for breakfast. I also enjoyed the wine and cheese and biscuits😂
It’s £100 for the week- hence why I suppose it’s a no brainer! I think I am swaying that way, even if we use it for four meals it could be worth it for us, granted there’s only two of us. Also there’s just the luxury of knowing you have it, which I’m already anticipating.

Seems like my mind is pretty much made up at this point.
Old 24 Dec 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
It’s £100 for the week- hence why I suppose it’s a no brainer! I think I am swaying that way, even if we use it for four meals it could be worth it for us, granted there’s only two of us. Also there’s just the luxury of knowing you have it, which I’m already anticipating.

Seems like my mind is pretty much made up at this point.
Its a £100 more than PB, but I would also consider what £ it is more than a regular room at RPR. Somebody has confirmed the room is the same, so I would consider the value of those four (say) meals.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Its a £100 more than PB, but I would also consider what £ it is more than a regular room at RPR. Somebody has confirmed the room is the same, so I would consider the value of those four (say) meals.
Definitely worth a look at the regular price.

Club level is a nice experience though. We certainly used it once or twice a day. The staff were lovely and it did feel a bit of a luxury. Also combined with the express pass it gave the week at universal a really chilled out feel.

I think for us in the summer it was £300 more before cash back for the week than a standard room but I have a pre teen who is never full 😂